Traitor Legion victory at Terra - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traitor Legion victory at Terra

Do you think if the traitor legions had all been at Terra that they would have won?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Not really the only legion that was not present at the seige of the Imperial Palace were the Word Bearers.
    In the Horus Heresy the Word Bearers had the task of keeping the Ultramarines occupied so that Roboute Guilliman would not be able to get involved in the seige of Terra. The main reason they were chosen for this was the fact they would have been able to tie up the Ultramarines thanks to their ability to summon daemons to help them thus increasing the size of their forces to match the Ultramarines as they were perhaps the largest of all the legions.
    Had the Word Bearers been present at Terra then the Ultramarines would have been free to relieve the Imperial forces defending the Imperial Palace. Considering that Roboute Guilliman was equal to Horus in terms of military brilliance I can say that the seige of Terra would have been less of a close run thing had the Ultramarines arrived.
    Horus most certainly would have had to take more risks to achieve his goals.

JvK :happy:
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Keeping the UM away from Terra was the most vital action, their legion was the largest of all and having them at the battle of Terra would have been a disater to horus plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Considering only two loyalist Legions and the Custodes were present at the Siege of Terra, I highly doubt that the presence of the Word Bearers would have made a significant difference. It was a Heroic Last Stand right from the start.

If Horus hadn't let down his battle barge's shields and let the Emperor aboard, he probably would have won, since the defenders weren't aware that Russ and Jonson were coming, and may have surrendered.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A misunderstanding on my part I thought that their were two legions not present and that the ones that were werent at full strength due to being split apart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's explicitly said that the cult legions were all there.

I'm not so sure about the Night Lords, Alpha Legion, and the Iron Warriors. I don't remember off the top of my head the big epic WD story containing them. There were definitely sections speaking about the cult legions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the attack would have benefited if Horus WASN'T there, seeing as how the Traitor Legions only broke off and fled after his death, though whether they would have lost without Horus' presence anyway is hard to determine, it probably would have helped if he wasn't there.

But more on topic I don't think the Thousand Sons were there either, and the Night Lords weren't even Chaos followers yet (unless I'm misremembering the time line, which is very possible) and there may have been another one or two not present, though I'm unsure. either way they would definitely have benefited from the additional power of any non-present traitor legions and as I said before they probably would have had a solid chance at winning if Horus hadn't been there or atleast hadn't DIED.
    "A souls screams are merely their cries of thanks to the Chaos
    Gods!" -Brigand

"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away!" -Abbadon The Despoiler

The Kroot: You are what you eat.
    Tyranids: YOU are what WE eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

I think one of the main reasons is that once Horus was killed, the Luna Wolves went on a lightning raid to take back his body and then flee. I think this was also why the Black Legion was given so little respect after the Heresy, and why they have been fighting to regain their honor. The other legions probably had no choice, they were forced to withdraw once the Luna Wolves began pulling out.

I was under the impression that during the Heresy, or soon after, the Alpha Legion and the Ultramarines really went at it. Guilleman ended up defeating and killing Alpharius, though the Ultramarines lost the battle in the end.

I think the Thousand Sons are very vaguely mentioned as helping with the Heresy, though their part was minor - which would make sense after being ravaged by the Space Puppies.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, im not a fluff master, so please correct me if im wrong.

The traitor legions not at the siege were:
    Word Bearers - tying up the Ultras
    Night Lords - Maybe they were there? lore *implies* that they were, but i haven't found anywhere where it makes a specific reference to them
    Alpha Legion - Horus sent them off to screw up the Space Wolves. They got slapped down, and they retreated.

Honestly, it wouldve been much worse for horus if he had called those legions back. the ultras woulda gotten to terra quicker, and the space wolves wouldnt have been accosted by the alpha legion, hence also letting them get there quicker.
    The Iron Legion
    Space Marine Chapter
    W L D
    3 0 1
    All draws are due to time limits, I always try to fight to the bitter end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to my knowledge of Heresy fluff. The forces that were not there were the Thousand Sons (after retreating to the warp to recover from battle against the Space Wolves), the Night Lords (they were off causing their own damage as they did best), the Emperor's Children were on Terra but instead of fighting, they were off experementing to push their limits to new heights. As for the Alpha Legion, they were also off causing havok amongst the imperial lines. The last forces not dedicated to the destruction of the Emperor was the Iron Warriors, they were determined to destroy the Imperial Fists' chapter monestary at all costs.

While according to Horus' plan, he had the Word Bearers tie up the Ultramarines so that they would be unable to reinforce the Imperial forces on Terra.

So after all that, the only legions he had pushing the fight to the Emperor was the Sons of Horus, the Death Guard, and the World Eaters.

Although I do agree, had Horus not been at Terra, and had he reined in the Night Lords, Emperor's Children, and possibly the Alpha Legion. Then perhaps he'd have had a greater chance of victory against the Emperor.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast