The God-Emperor - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The God-Emperor

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

The God-Emperor

Now I read up, and it turns out the Emperor detested being worshipped. One of his primarchs before the heresy (I think World Bearers) started a cult of the Emperor, and was chasitized for it. Now, The cult of the Emperor is all over the Imperium. He is not seen as a great man and a unifier of mankind, but as a god. So, what went wrong? He supposedly talks to his subjects through some kind of tarot. Why hasn't he said enough with the worshipping? Why didn't the rest of the loyal primarchs post Heresy stop this religon from even happening? They knew that The Emperor didn't want to be seen as a god. Hes not even dead so technically he cant be seen as a matyr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

I'll let someone who knows more on this matter verify this, but I think the Emperor was upset at the Word Bearers because their progression was slower than the other legions. It was because every world they conquered they set up a solid religious base where the other legions were just going to the next world to conquer. Their lack of progress was due to their zealousness, thus that is why the Emperor chastized them. If their faith had not gotten in the way of their campaign, the Emperor may have been mad at them still, but not as much.

On another note, the Imperium must have a faith in the Emperor or it will collapse. Over millions of worlds, there is NO other unifying force that could sustain the vast Empire. The Imperium would fragment and its enemies would fall upon what's left. So whether the Emperor wants to be worshiped or not, he doesn't get a choice.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Yea but does that unifying force have to be devine? I think the emperor wanted to unite mankind but not be seen as a god in the process.

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    Now, The cult of the Emperor is all over the Imperium. He is not seen as a great man and a unifier of mankind, but as a god. So, what went wrong? He supposedly talks to his subjects through some kind of tarot. Why hasn't he said enough with the worshipping? Why didn't the rest of the loyal primarchs post Heresy stop this religon from even happening? They knew that The Emperor didn't want to be seen as a god. Hes not even dead so technically he cant be seen as a matyr.
    In short, the Imperium lost all of its heroes and needed something to motivate and unify its people. Religion proved to be effective, so it just became integrated into imperial society over time.

More detailed:
    -What went wrong is that the Emperor "died", and is not really able to direct the Imperium anymore. Even if he did try to send messages through someone, that person might just be branded a heretic.
    -The problem with the tarot is that while it is linked to the Emperor somewhat, there aren't exactly any definite messages. All of the signs have to be interpreted by the reader, so its not like the Emperor can directly say "Stop worshipping me you fools!". Given the Imperium's current views of him, such a message would probably never come to mind anyways.
    -When all of the loyal Primarchs died or went missing, the Imperium was left without its old leaders and needed something to keep them going.
    After a while, the High Lords began converting to The Church of the Savior Emperor, some Emperor-worshipping cult. Without anyone (significant) left to maintain the Emperor's ways, eventually the rest of the Imperium began worshippign the him too.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Just because the Emperor didn't want people to worship him during the Great Crusade, does not mean that he doesn't want to be worshiped now.

He used his anti religious views to basically wipe out all religions. One can assume that by the time of his rise to power, that many religions would hold sway over people. People can be very fanatical about their faith, and that can detract from the unity of the race as a whole.

Without any opposing faith, the Cult of the Emperor quickly took hold on dozens of worlds.
    If the Emperor has truly ascended into godhood, which is quite likely, then he requires worshipers to maintain and build his power, like any other god or daemon.

Acts of Faith, the living Saints and other miracles are often attributed to the divine intervention of the God-Emperor. One could argue that this is proof of his godhood.
    But then the Emperor protects predates his Ascension to the Golden Throne, so was he able to interact through faith before that? Or is some other force allowing the Humans involved to act like the Emperor watches over them?

It is a known fact that the Emperor plans to watch over the human race as it makes the slow and painful transition into a psyker race. It could have been in his plans all along to transcend and leave his mortal body to allow him greater strength within the Warp.

So while I was of the opinion that the Imperial faith was an ironic mistake after reading Horus Heresy 1- 3, after reading Flight of the Eisenstein, I am not so sure anymore.

Just my opinion on the matter anyway
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

ok ignoring the cult bit:

1. You assume the emperor is alive and capable of concious thought, there is strong inference from fluff that both of these descriptions are not good.

2. As above the emperors Tarrot is less than completely reliable, because it requires the interpreter to interpret them, you assume the interpreter does so accurately and altruistically

3. In the absence of direct and unequivacle communication from the emperor you have the power bases of the high lords in charge, and they are not altruistic either
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

I'm pretty sure he wanted to free mankind from the superstition and ignorance of religon as he saw it. Why would he approve of the Imperium being dark in the dark ages more or less with this worhsip of the emperor. They have superstitions on how machines work hence why they are still using technology from the heresy. Look at the tau, they are not encumbered by religion and have advanced very far in 5,000 years. Im not advocating atheism is best, but the Emperor worship may have kept mankind united, but i think it's hindering them IMO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

All right, so what would you suggest as an alternative? Let me suggest to you that the countless billions of humanity in the Imperium (the vast, vast majority who are uneducated and in dire poverty) are best led by superstition. Let me also suggest that the main underlying theme of the Imperium is that it is a corrupt, cruel organization, but it is necessary for humanity's survival. Overall, some people would be better off if rational thought was more appreciated in the Imperium, but overall it would be its downfall. If people begin asking why the Adeptus Mechanus worships some Ominssiah, why Inquisitor's wield so much power, why countless millions are thrown at horrible xenos to their deaths, why the Emperor hasn't made their lives better, etc. then the Imperium will collapse.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Well, even if it is a nessacery evil. I doubt the emperor wanted it this way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    Well, even if it is a nessacery evil. I doubt the emperor wanted it this way.
    Indeed, Being strapped to a golden throne and half his kids ruining his plans of Human sovereignity weren't part of his grand plan. But sadly chaos got in the way and humanity has to make due with what it's got.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast