[Spoilers] "Legion" by Dan Abnett...best BL book in a long time! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

[Spoilers] "Legion" by Dan Abnett...best BL book in a long time!

I'll refrain from putting major, major spoilers in this posting save for saying that the "twist" at the end hits like a ton of bricks.

In the same vein as the Alpha Legion were known for multi-tiered and subtle schemes, so was this book. One plot quickly gives way to a deeper plot. If you think something is painfully obvious (Alpha and Omega?), you are quickly corrected and you learn that you've missed 90% of the rest.

This was probably the most tightly-scripted book in the whole Horus Heresy series. Not only that, it took the Alpha Legion from being a throwaway Chaos Legion with hardly any fluff whatsoever and a lame excuse for that; to being arguably the most noble and loyal of all the Legions.

Dan Abnett is the man, truly.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The guy should open his own publishing franchise. I'm picking Legion up soon.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Spoiler-a-thon!!

I have to disagree. I didn't think it was up to the standard of the first three. I know that the Alpha Legion are all "behind the scenes" which is why you don't see much of actual marines in the book but they're really who we care about. The primarch also came across as kinda limp compared with the others who have turned up in the series so far. The guy just wasn't inspiring.

I was also a bit irked by the correlation between Legion's Gramaticus and Cheradanine Zakalwe of Use of Weapons by Ian Banks. They were just too similar- Well older than everyone you meet, eh? Working for a faceless organisation that is powerful beyond belief and you don't really understand? Everything falls apart just when you're at your most smug? "Glanding" hormones at will are we? Well, that's original. I'd rather read Weapons again (it's worth it too).

Even the end was limp- This alien guy told us to destroy humanity so it's gotta be right- let's do it!

I was disappointed.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Books where Marines are the main characters are Marines themselves are rarely as good as books where the main characters are human. After all, Marines don't really suffer from internal conflict that much.

I didn't mind that we didn't see too many Legionnaires. What made the first books so good, aside from their obvious novelty and our collective excitement at seeing how the Heresy actually unfolded, is that they weren't really focussed on the Marines but on the journalists covering them. I don't remember reading any rules that said books about Marines have to be exclusively from the perspective of Marines.

On some level, it sort of makes sense that Alpharius is only half as powerful as his brother Primarchs. After all, he is only half a Primarch. On the other hand, he could be as mighty as any of them and just pulled his punches. If he's not keen on revealing his identity, he's probably not interested in showing off how strong he really is, either.

With regards to the ending, who really knows what the Legion will actually do? (Short of what we already know they're going to do.) The Alpha Legionnaires spoke anything close to the truth all of four times in the whole book, who's to say they weren't lying to the Cabal?

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

+ Reply to Thread