Boarding torpedos? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Boarding torpedos?

I was reading "the wolf of fenris" fluff in the chaos dex 4th edition and I realized I want to either make, or at least draw some convincing concept art of these boarding torpedos.

The first time I read the story I wanted to create a scene of the torpedo filled with marines had just crashed through a wall as marines poured out into a very industrial looking corridor of the ship. Knowing full well that I don't possess the skills for such a thing I was thinking if I do the art for it, then maybe someone could get something done. and if nothing else at least I'd be able to say I drew that.

as such I ws wondering if anyone to date has seen pictures of this vessel? I know about the chaos dreadclaws and I hope to take some inspiration from that for this particular piece.

It says there was 120 marines and 50 renegeades in the 5 torpedos (from what I understood) resulting in 34 marines a piece which makes these craft rather large, I have designed the doors (no pics yet sorry), the entry hatch and engine and locking lugs for it to attach to its mother ship before launch.

Is there anything else I should be including in this to give it that special chaos feel? or even a particular paint job, I thought about maybe painting a large star of chaos on the side but thats about all I can think of for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Claws, spikes. Perhaps try to make it a little more baroque in feel than what would be normal. A snarling head where the marines'd come out, maybe.

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Well, as you appear to be already doing, give it the front end of a Dreadclaw.

Apart from that take a long cylinder with a plasma-drive at one end and go mental. If you can have a look at the Battlefleet Gothic artwork until your eyes hurt, that will give you a feel for the 40k way of doing space.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Not a bad idea about the gothic fleet look, I'll see what I can do, I'm going to get my picture on here in a second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

the computer game "fire warrior" has quite a few animated scenes with boarding torpedoes if you can get hold of a copy
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

I will try youtube. probably have just as much, and I wouldn't know anyone with that game. youtube ftw!

I checked youtube and found a scene where a space marine ship runs parallel to a tau ship, shooting Lego bricks at it, I assume these are the boarding torpedoes, needless to say, I was unimpressed by a flying brick, however devastating in an attack isn't pleasing for the eye.

I will draw up a few roughs tomorrow and show you guys where I am, I think the idea of having it very "theatrical" in the sense it should have those daemon heads on the hull all around, star of chaos and other bits and pieces.

This is what I came up with, given the massively small scale compared to a gothic fleet ship, the level of detail will obviously be less, and I'm not to gifted at drawing anything with large plain surfaces like tanks and whatnot.

The idea as I see it is that the melta charge at the front blows up on impact with the enemy craft, while melting the nose of the torpedo as it enters its newly created hole.

The lines halfway down the nose is a blast door used to shield troops inside from any effects of the 1st melta charge, this door has a charge on it facing the nose, this will implode and combined with frag grenades, will fill the area to be boarded with fragments of slag and debris. allowing troops to flow out smoothly through the smoke into the corridors of the intended vessel.

close combat scenario equipment lines the interior walls of the torpedo in-case specific situations are assumed to be encountered during the take-over process.

Roughly fits 24 or 34 marines, depending on how you read the fluff, I think its 34 to be honest and as yet I haven't made a scale or sizes for the torpedo but I think with a little bit of sprucing up from people on here it could go somewhere?

Any ideas for things that should certainly be involved, above the hatch is a locking lug that will engage the crane that loads the torpedoes into their bays before launch and at the aft (if thats the correct term), small directional boosters to give it an extra bit of accuracy when aiming for specific areas of a target vessel.
    Last edited by omgitsduane; April 23rd, 2008 at 09:58.

+ Reply to Thread