Couple of Tyranid Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of Tyranid Questions

Okay, I have a couple of fluff-based tyranid questions...

First off, how smart is the Hive Mind and the synapse creatures? I mean, what is the extent of their commands? Is it just "Go kill things!" or more complex?

Also, if a Tyranid loses a limb but survives the battle, what happens to it? For example, if a Hormagaunt loses one of its talons in a duel and then lasts til the end of the battle. Do they just leave it or do they Bio-gene it up?

Pretty pointless questions but i was curious ^_^.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, i like the 1st question, but the way that GW put it in the last campaign, was that the tyranids knew that some of their forces were less useful*places that were losing* so they payed less attention to them, in battle however its kill kill kill... other then that, they do what they need, i suppose its like asking if ants knew what they were doing... but yeah, i guess its how you want to look at it... me, i say that the hive mind knows what its doing for the food to taste better.

and to the other one, its KILL KILL KI*gets talon shot off* op.. LL KILL KILL! basically, they don't stop, cause if they do, that one extra body could have been the only hormagaunt left until the big fex came and ate the ig.. so they continue with out noticing it is gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that makes sense I guess. It actually makes more sense thinking of Tyranids as Ants for some reason. =P

Also, for the limbs question, what about once they're done with the planet and are moving to the next one. Would the Hormagaunt just do what it normally does?
    Last edited by AnAngrySquirrel; May 31st, 2008 at 13:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The other thing to watch is the Starship Troopers movie. Yes, yes, it's downright infamously bad, but the way arachnid strategy works is interesting. Imagine a being of superhuman intelligence but totally alien thought process, and which is totally unafraid to expend lives. In the human world, we tend to view charging at the enemy in a big horde as unintelligent tactics. Nids don't, it works eventually provided you have the critical mass to sustain it.

A better analogy than ants are cells. They're all part of the same overall being. Nids don't use their brains to think that much, generally, their thoughts are those of the hive mind projected into them. They generally understand where they are in relation to one another, they use sophisticated tactics without knowing what they're doing, etc. Don't think of them as individual creatures who exchange thoughts and orders, think of them as cells who exchange synaptic information as part of a massive, massive thought process. Each Nid on the ground is a nerve cell, each Norn Queen is a brain cell. Taken together, we have the most awesome nervous system ever.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

In alot of the fluff the hivemind is described as being pretty damn smart - certainly sentient at any rate...

And as for the damaged nids - they all end up dead anyway! I read an article some time ago (it might have been on the GW website) about the process involved when the nids take a planet - basically anything alive gets put into the digestion pools. Then all the nids that are left jump into the digestion pools to be "recycled". So in answer to your question - it would fight on, because it's going to end up in the same place as all the others anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then all the nids that are left jump into the digestion pools to be "recycled".
    Oh okay, I didn't know that. Thanks.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

No problem! Like I said - I can't remember exactly where I heard it, but it sounds highly feasible and as someone who knows only the bare minimum about nids, I doubt I could've just made it up on the spot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Its on the GW website on how to build a genepool terrain piece.

Made with bits of real tyranid, so you know its good...
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AnAngrySquirrel View Post

First off, how smart is the Hive Mind and the synapse creatures? I mean, what is the extent of their commands? Is it just "Go kill things!" or more complex?

Also, if a Tyranid loses a limb but survives the battle, what happens to it? For example, if a Hormagaunt loses one of its talons in a duel and then lasts til the end of the battle. Do they just leave it or do they Bio-gene it up?
    Synapse creatures can give any command the Hive mind chooses. Typically in battle this will be go and kill things but there may also be other commands such as hide behind that wall or destroy the big tank before the smaller one etc. It is also a case that something such as a Hive tyrant will be better at understanding and problem solving than a typical Hormagaunt. The Hive mind therefore has a better perception through the Hive tyrant's eyes.

It is basically like a huge creature, using it's different bits to do things. Think of your hands and how they will only be able to do what they are capable of and no more. In addition your hands don't need to be asked to do things. How exactly the Hive mind works isn't completely known and it is the case of Imperial biologist types can't agree how it really works or even what it really is.

If a Tyranid loses a limb what happens to it will depend on several things. First how important the Tyranid is? A Hormagaunt is very expendable and because the reproduce so quickly the Hormagaunt would be put in a digestion pool or simply ordered to stand still as Rippers ate it along with other biomass.

Something like a Carnifex or Hive tyrant willbe considered more important so replacement parts may well be grown for it. Also what is likely regardless of the creatures importance is that the damage will be examined. This will be done to learn why the limb is no longer working and to help evolve new and superior limbs better able to resist damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies, I can now appreciate my tyranids a little bit better, now that I know them XD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast