SMurf Q? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMurf Q?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMurf Q?

Well, I saw another thread similar to a Q I had.

Can a SMurf become an Inquisitor? Or do they have a rank of equal power with a different name.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
    -Il Duce

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither. The Space Marines are pretty much separated from most Imperial organizations. They are actually some of the few individuals who can defy Inquisitors, although it isn't an intelligent decision. Also, Inquisitors are, for the most part, recruited from the Schola Progenum. No Space Marine Chapter recruits from these schools.

Now, you could have Inquisitor equivalents within a chapter, whose job would be to spot corruption and heresy in the chapter. A sort of Apothecary and Chaplain mix, with maybe some Librarian thrown in. Depends on the chapter though.
    "Dear Diary: Today I may of accidentally registered myself as a sex offender. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY LIFE!" - Dinosaur Comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. So the Imperial Guard and the Adeptus Astartes are separate, understandably, But could a SMurf give an order to a guardsmen? I mean I know he could tell the guardsmen to do something, but does the guardsmen HAVE to?

I understand that it would probably be in said guardsman's interest to do so, but I am wondering is it a must.

All this assuming that the SMurf out ranks the guardsman.

EXAMPLE 1

SMurf: You get me some recaf!
    Imp: Piss off!

EXAMPLE 2 (in battle)

SMurf: Colonel stand down I will be taking over supreme command.
    Imp: Blow it out yer @$$,these are my men!
    "The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
    -Il Duce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

No, Space Marines have no rank or power over other Imperial agents. BUT (and that's a big but), most would listen to a marine and do as they say since they usually have a few hundred years of combat experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

They are 2 separate organizations who fight for the same side, most of the time.
    Usually a supreme commander of all Imperial forces will be elected from Generals present.
    Imperial Guard can only request Space Marine assistance. The Marines are not obliged to help. Though most would.

If a Marine is elected commander, which is sometimes the case, then he would be able to issue commands to Guard commanders.

As for asking for ReCaf, one it probably wouldn't affect the marine much, if at all. Two that marine is being a bully!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're separate organizations. They work together, though.

Generally, SM's won't be in charge, but the commander will listen to what the SM commander's saying very closely. They're every experienced soldiers, and will be treated as such.

Think of them like Jedi. Seperate to the republic, sending Knights where they feel it appropriate, and outside of the usual command structure. But they do have a lot of status, and their advice will be closely listened to.

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Yeah, SMs are totally outside the command structure of the IG and Ordos.

Taking the IG and SM example, if there were both forces together, one of two scenarios would usually occur.

Firstly, the SM would take complete control over all Imperial forces, if the IG commander was willing, though this would usually only happen in massive, protracted campaigns and very experienced SM Chapter Masters. For example, in the Eye of Terror Campaign, when.... either Logan Grimnar or Marneus Calgar were put in complete command of all the forces. (Except the Dark Angels and their successors, who went and did their own thing). I think it was Logan Grimnar, as I *think* he's the oldest and most experienced Chapter Master, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Anyway, the second scenario, is that the two forces, IG and SM, work together, to a mutual final aim, but with seperate individual objectives. For example, whilst the IG Commander might request the SMs attack a certain key fortress, the SMs might be more concerned with recapturing a shrine or suchforth (like William King's novel, Grey Hunter).

But, no SM would ever acknowledge anyone's right to hvae command over them, aside from another SM. Though, lower ranks, Sergeants and such, may take the 'advice' of an Inquisitor or whatever they were attached to, but nominal, and actual, command over the marines would still be in the hands of a Space Marine.

EDIT: Checked on Lexicanum, and it was Logan Grimnar in the Eye of Terror. Go Space Puppies.
    Last edited by Wolf Lord Herby; July 17th, 2008 at 19:35.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

>.> I thought Dante was something like 1,100 years old...

What about Marines from the Grey Knights? Could they ever rise to Inquisitor rank, seeing as they are much closer to them (compared to other Marines). Perhaps a Brother-Captain that led his men in purging some Guard unit thought to be under the influence of Chaos? Or would the other Inquisitors claim the Brother-Captain a heretic instead, perhaps fearing (or at least not liking too much) the fact that he is a superior specimen of human?

I'm not too familiar with the Inquisitors and their fluff, other than they deem who/what are Heretics and such.

Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Grimnar can't be far off'f 11 hundred, he's been Great Wolf for 700 years. Don't know for sure though.

*Searches Lexicanum*

Ooh, it doesn't give an exact age for Logan or Dante, but Dante's ruled the BA's for 1,100 years... and he led the Armageddon Campaign.. But Grimnar's obviously a better leader Wolf-like cunning and such. And he has a much better axe.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Appointing Inquisitors does not really work like that. 'Inquisitor' is not really a rank that you achieve by being promoted, kinda. An Inquisitor is appointed from another Inquisitor's best staff (ie. Interrogators, which is their rank) once he is deemed to have the nescessery skills to become an Inquisitor. There is no training programe you have to complete to become one or something like that. It is hard to explain, since the Inquisition is such a loose organisation.

Inquisitors are exceptional individuals with a mind unlike any other in the galaxy. They are free from being trained into a dogma (except the dogma of worshipping the Emperor and doing the duty of your Order) and have as much free will as one can have in the Imperium. And that's why GKs cannot become Inquisitors, because they are heavily indoctrinated into their dogma. And I bet there are some regulations against Space Marines becoming Inquisitors...

I suggest reading up on Inquisitors and the way the Inquisition works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast