Traitor Gene-seed in Loyal Marines? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traitor Gene-seed in Loyal Marines?

LO fluff muffins,

I have found that a some of DIY chapter fluff i have read recently has involved a Traitor turned chapter's gene seed being cross pollinated with a loyal gene seed to make a new chapter. People have used Iron Warriors etc. as part of their gene seed make up, and so i was just wondering if this is actually possible?

I know each loyal chapter is required to give 5% of its gene seed to the Adeptus Mechanicus, but did this occur pre-heresy as well?

alex out yo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

No, following the heresy all samples of the geneseed belonging to the traitor legiosn were either sealed away or destroyed.

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

This is indeed possible - it's just amazingly unlikely.

There is absolutely no way that the Imperium would EVER do this - they hate the original Traitor Marines and fear Chaos too much to even consider it. The chapter created would never be accepted as loyal Space Marines - and assuming that some borderline-rogue Adeptus Mechanicus agent did create such a chapter - either because he was a heretic or because he thought it would be a good idea - the Inquisition would crush it before it ever got up to strength, let alone in to combat. Aquiring the actual geneseed of traitor marines wouldn't be the biggest problem - you can just retrieve it from a Chaos Space Marine found dead in the field.

That leaves precious few options - outside of the Imperium there are startlingly few ways to become a Space Marine - I'm talking single figures here! And even these methods are only used to replace the odd Chaos Space Marine when one is killed - think Fabius Bile.

So overall - I can see why people would go down that route - anything to spice up Vanilla Marines, right? But it isn't the best example of army fluff you'll find - it just about hangs on to being believeable, but only by its finger nails!
    Last edited by thechaplain; August 3rd, 2008 at 15:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Think of it this way.. The Imperium believes people and objects can become permanently tainted through contact with evil things like chaos and aliens. They believe in things like curses for example, and a lot of the time they actually seem to be right (think the Lamenters and the Afriel strain.) They also tend to believe that if something goes wrong, it's because it was doomed to go wrong from the beginning.. because it was flawed, or weak, or tainted in some way.

Besides, would you inject yourself with genetic material drawn from Satan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

There is absolutely no way that the Imperium would EVER do this
    KNOWINGLY do this, you mean...

Besides, would you inject yourself with genetic material drawn from Satan?
    Maybe not. But what if I didn't know it came from him?

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
    KNOWINGLY do this, you mean... Maybe not. But what if I didn't know it came from him?
    Of course they'd know - founding Astartes chapters is a seriously big deal and there is no way of obtaining traitor gene seed without taking it from dead Chaos Space Marines. So the implication would be that the High Lords and the big bosses in the Adeptus Mechanicus would sanction the use of traitor gene seed in creating a chapter.

They'd know because gene seed is very distinctive and they would do some serious screening any time - let alone if they weren't 100% certain where it came from.

Not going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have always been rumors that the Blood Ravens use the geneseed from the Thousand Sons, hence their greater use of librarians, their aquisition of knowledge, and the suggestion that the chapter has secrets it prefers to keep well hidden. Of course, the rumors about the Blood Raven's origin vary greatly, and all must be taken with rather large grains of salt. The possible rumored sources of the geneseed range from the Emperor of Mankind, himself, all the way to the other end of the spectrum with Kermit the Frog being the unknown Primarch...
    Last edited by Zarak; August 4th, 2008 at 20:32. Reason: Grammar fix
    Increasing the diversity of the 40k universe through the destruction of Space Marines, one army at a time...

PAw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only two chapters i know for sure that have "traitor" geneseeds are Grey Knights and that Thousands sons Loyalist chapter.. i forget its name but it uses "M" as its chapter icon or something to that effect. On both cases they were loyal to the emperor from what i have heard and read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

You might want to reconsider the GK, they certainly do not use the geneseed from the traitor legions, they have a special geneseed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarak View Post
    There have always been rumors that the Blood Ravens use the geneseed from the Thousand Sons, hence their greater use of librarians, their aquisition of knowledge, and the suggestion that the chapter has secrets it prefers to keep well hidden. Of course, the rumors about the Blood Raven's origin vary greatly, and all must be taken with rather large grains of salt.
    Something which always bugged me about that theory..

The Thousand Sons didn't have a massive librarium because they had the geneseed of Magnus the Red. They had a massive librarium because virtually every inhabitant of the planet they lived on was psychic. Prospero was a planet of mutants where virtually everyone had some degree of psychic power.

Geneseed doesn't make you psychic, psychic power is a separate mutation which affects a small proportion of the human race, then when a psychic becomes a space marine you have a librarian. Therefore, the abnormal number of librarians in the Blood Ravens didn't crop up just because someone stuck Magnus' gene-seed in them, they're there because the chapter pays special attention to its librarium and tries to recruit psykers.

I agree there's a lot of dodgy evidence about their origins, but I don't see why people specifically fixate on the thousand sons. There is no reason for any correlation between the number of librarians and the thousand sons gene-seed.

In short, I'm with you on the large grains of salt..
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; August 4th, 2008 at 22:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)