Hive Gangers and Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Hive Gangers and Space Marines

I am in the process of making a bit of background and I read that the Imperial Fists are known to create marines from Hive gang members. Now, not entirely sure how to ask this correctly, but would it be possible for say, a newly inducted marine to retain loyalties to his old gang? I was thinking of making the memebrs of the chapters split a bit like some chapter have their own inner politics (Iron Hand clans for instance). Would this be at all possible, or would the new inductees be mindwiped of their previous existance?

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I'm pretty positive that upon becoming a true Space Marine, he would leave his entire past as a human behind him and embrace the Chapter as his new "gang," so to speak, though I highly doubt even the most hardcore of gangers would even consider the Chapter a gang anymore. It doesn't seem very likely that he would hold any loyalty whatsoever to the gang he was once in.

Scouts... now, you might have something there, as Scouts have yet to be fully inducted into the Chapter or receive full training and genetic altering, so maybe someone can help you with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I believe the hiver-stuff belongs to some extremely old RogueTrader article... thus I'd be careful with that.

Considering that the Astartes recruits their novices at an age of 8-10, I don't see how a hiver would have already established himself in a gang, anyways. Additionally, there's the whole mindwiping, brainwashing and psycho-conditioning going on.

Marines are not so much individuals with a true personality per se, they are "monofied" automatons with a limited sense of autonomous behavior - as long as it is in line with their codices (and they are not corrupted, which, admittedly, happens more often than not these days apparently). Beyond such abstract concepts as duty, war, honor and pride there's really not much going on in their minds (aside from a few uberspecial novel characters who just had to be written that way to make them more interesting).
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

The Hiver connection is held up at least until 2nd edition, and I think that the Imperial Fists in particular are noted for recruiting from Necromunda...

Although as has been said, I don't think that after all the psycho-indoctrination there'd be much of a marine's old life left. If you want a more extreme example, look at the Dark Angels and crusading chapters like the Black Templars. They recruit from different worlds and there's no inter-chapter ties of loyalty to other organisations. It'd be even less likely to happen amongst gangers in the same world, I'm guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

I believe there was a mention of it in the 3rd ed Index Astartes article about Raven Guard.

+ Reply to Thread