Would this work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Would this work?

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm getting frustrated with the heavy gothic look of the imperium. I want to be able to play space marines but I want them to look clean and well disciplined, sort of an army as opposed to a group of warriors.

For this reason, I'm creating a new "race" that uses the SM ruleset. The fluff behind it would be that towards the end of the dark age of technology, a colony was founded in a null zone in the warp near where the Tau empire would arise. When the age of strife began, warp storms completely encircled this null zone, cutting it off completely. The humans on this colony, Serra, unknowing of the war raging around them, continued the tradition of technological development. By the time the warp storms receded, the Heresy had already long become history and the Imperium was well established.

An explorator ship eventually found them and sent down a delegation from the ordo zenos to examine the colony, now a thriving world. Although greeted as heros, the Inquisitor in charge of the mission informed them that the entire population was to be individually put on trial and then mind scrubbed to remove the unauthorized technological taint. Understandably, the people of Serra didn't like this and a fight erupted. The Ordo Zenos were very outnumbered and were quickly wiped out. Engineers from Serra examined the power armor worn by the deathwatch marines and quickly produced versions of their own for use by the Serran Defense Force.

Based on this backstory, my "space marines" would be standard marines with heads from pig iron productions, found here, while scouts would be the heavy infantry figures found here. The few vehicles would be converted to look more technologically advanced than their Imperial counterparts. The ruleset would be exactly the same as the SMs, it would just be represented by different, cheaper, models.

So, watcha think?

Last edited by Black8; August 28th, 2008 at 20:22.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Hmmm...

Off the top I'd go against the background material. Null zones would be a real boon to the Imperium as there would be a region of space where the Chaos Gods or their minions could never go. Heck, they may knock out Astropaths and Navigators similar to a Culexus Assassin. The Horus Heresy series shows that parallel innovation that has similar patterns is feasible. So it's possible to have similar designs and yet look different. They would also have enough working STC machines that would make any Tech Priest lose their lubricants. I also think the presence of ships in orbit may override the benefit on the ground once the bombardment commenced.

As to the models. To some it would be sacrilege, but to others they could care less. I don't like it but would tolerate it because I recognize the power of not having the cash but the desire to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean about if by gothic you mean being too "religious zealotish", however there is nothing to stop you creating a chapter that is more military than religious.. just shave off all those purity seals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I know what you mean about if by gothic you mean being too "religious zealotish", however there is nothing to stop you creating a chapter that is more military than religious.. just shave off all those purity seals.
    What I'm going for is a clean futuristic look that makes sense militarily. As much as I love the GW models, unfortunately, a lot of them don't make much sense

The only reason fluff wise I could come up with for them being left alone so long was because a null zone would neutralize chaos and the psycic abilities of astropaths and navigators and the presemce of the Tau Empire essentially next door protected them from orks and tyranids and whoever else might come upon them randomly.

I also think the presence of ships in orbit may override the benefit on the ground once the bombardment commenced.
    Part of the story would be that they had, both internally and through limited trade with the Tau, designed and produced their own limited number of advanced trade and planetary defense ships, enough so that they could take out a small explorator fleet without too much effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

The next time you see an 800 lb. 7ft tall acid spitting armor clad warrior-fanatic armed with a machine grenade launcher and a complete lack of anything resembling fear, tell me his reaction to being told that he doesn't make much sense militarily.

That aside, I think I know what you're going for - a hyper elite military without all the zealotry and genetic modification. Basically you want a human version of the Tau. Using Space Marine stats doesn't make much sense for regular humans though. Their high stats don't come from equipment but rather from said zealotry and genetic modification. You can have what you want in one of two existing ways that are sent down as a precedent. First, you can use the models you want with Sisters of Battle stats (which are normal humans with Astartes armor and weaponry) or you can use Tau stats which are essentially human type with advanced equipment and function more like a current day army. You can use the humans as Gue'la, human soldiers fighting for the Tau.

On a fluff note, the Inquisition wouldn't mind scrub an entire population. If any of their tech was heretical they would be on the business end of an Exterminatus weapon. If it wasn't, the world would be welcomed and the Ad Mech would be crawling all over trying to learn a few things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

hyper elite military without all the zealotry and genetic modification. Basically you want a human version of the Tau.
    Essentially, yes. I figure I could explain the marine stats by saying that the military had the benefit of advanced implants and bionics and light genetic manipulation that increased their toughness, strength, agility and other stats.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't really like the "feel" of sisters of battle. Plus, the Space Marine armory is just too cool to pass up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black8 View Post
    Essentially, yes. I figure I could explain the marine stats by saying that the military had the benefit of advanced implants and bionics and light genetic manipulation that increased their toughness, strength, agility and other stats.

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't really like the "feel" of sisters of battle. Plus, the Space Marine armory is just too cool to pass up.
    I can understand wr coming from.. I love the Imperial Guard, but arnt happy with them being quite as fanatical for the emperor.. thats why my planet is allied to the Tau (only after a civil war.. gives me scope to fight Tau in earlier dated battles) though not trusted with Tau equipment yet.

You could still do a marine Chapter that has lost its faith in the Emperor, but has not succumbed to Chaos either. It still fights against the "evil" enemies it always has... but is ofrced to fight off repeated attempts to hunt them down and destroy them. More renegades/ rogues than evil (I think the Marines/fanatics are pretty evil anyway).. maybe the Emporor ordered the extermination of an entire planet and your chapter, unable to commit mass genocide went rogue and fought to protect the planet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

There are some Marine Chapters who are under inquisitorial surveillance for worshipping their Primarch more than they worship the Emperor. Or who show signs of mutation in their gene-seed. If the Inquisition sends a Sororitas Purity Control force to deal with such a Chapter and the Marines survive the initial onslaught, they might indeed go rogue without running straight to Chaos. Essentially, they could end up feeling the Imperium has forsaken them, but nonetheless continue to honor their traditions and fight that which they perceive as evil. Which might include the Imperial forces pursueing them. Maybe they'd end up on some quest to find a new home where they could just settle down in peace together with a few thousand civilian refugees of their original monastery-world (Galactica-style), but to do so they'd need to escape their pursuers AND avoid being crushed by mankind's enemies as well.

Could be an interesting plot device.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Ok, here we go, final fluff. Before I begin, thanks for all the ideas.
    Last edited by Black8; September 4th, 2008 at 00:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

One final suggestion, if I may: Make them proper marines, not just wannabes, unless you're also duplicating their genetic enhancements and implants. Just as SM chapters even now fall to Chaos, it is not inconceivable that at one point, due to some unexplained glitch in their geneseed or Ethereal brainwashing or whatever, one single company from one specific chapter threw their lot in with the Tau, who are IMO the only species aside from Chaos one should ever make "Ok, so these guys are really [x], but they fight for [y]!" type backgrounds for. I admit, a space marine chapter is somewhat farfetched, but still not impossible.
    Also, it is quite possible to make a more refined and disciplined chapter. Just look at the Guardians of the Covenant - warrior monks, with the emphasis on the "monk" part.
    No.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast