Inquisitor Ordo interaction - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Inquisitor Ordo interaction

Morning chaps and chapesses

How do the various Ordo factions work together? I've just bought Eisenhorn trilogy so some of my questions may be answered in that hefty tome, but I thought I'd try here for the short version.
    Will the hereticus, malleus and xenos work together on a 'friendly' basis or is there a degree of resentment/competition about them?
    Are the ordos entirely separate, like space marine chapters, who would work together but are ultimately autonomous?

Would/could a (for e.g) Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor ask for/command that a squad of grey knights be made available for him.

How Radical is radical? Are radical inquisitors tolerated, encouraged or hunted?

Finally, who has authority over an Inquisitor? There is always a chain of command, so who do they answer to? The High Lords?

Apologies if a lot of these are easily answerable, but I've always kinda ignored the Inquisitition side of things up to now, but they are probably the most interesting faction of the 'good guys'.
    If you could point me in the direction of some BL books that would be great too

Ta a lot.

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

I was very, VERY drunk. thechaplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    Morning chaps and chapesses

How do the various Ordo factions work together? I've just bought Eisenhorn trilogy so some of my questions may be answered in that hefty tome, but I thought I'd try here for the short version.
    Will the hereticus, malleus and xenos work together on a 'friendly' basis or is there a degree of resentment/competition about them?
    Are the ordos entirely separate, like space marine chapters, who would work together but are ultimately autonomous?

Would/could a (for e.g) Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor ask for/command that a squad of grey knights be made available for him.

How Radical is radical? Are radical inquisitors tolerated, encouraged or hunted?

Finally, who has authority over an Inquisitor? There is always a chain of command, so who do they answer to? The High Lords?

Apologies if a lot of these are easily answerable, but I've always kinda ignored the Inquisitition side of things up to now, but they are probably the most interesting faction of the 'good guys'.
    If you could point me in the direction of some BL books that would be great too

Ta a lot.
    Well, in answer to your first question, it depends. Basically, an Inquisitor is an Inquisitor first and an Alien/Daemon/Witch hunter second. Also, there are only tenuous links between Inquisitors within an ordo - they answer to a sector Lord, but other than that they pretty much do what they want. So, the likelyhood is that you would see co-operation between individual Inquisitors from different ordo's who have decided to team up for whatever reason, as opposed to direct, planned co-operation between the ordo's themselves - if that makes any sense. Same for resentment/competition - it will be between individuals, not entire ordo's - except under VERY rare circumstances.

The ordo's are basically seperate, but come together under the umbrella of "The Inquisition". The ordo's themselves aren't really like Space Marine chapters - all secrecy and mistrust - more like every Inquisitor is like that!

Deploying Grey Knights would probably take a sector Lord of the Malleus to achieve - but if said Lord saw fit to "lend" a Xenos Inquisitor some Grey Knights, that would be his perogative. Of course, the odds are that the Xenos Inquisitor would just use Deathwatch marines - if they were available.

Radicals can be a bit of a grey area. Basically, if you're consorting with daemons or reading REALLY naughty books you're a radical. Most Inquisitors are Puritans - so those that are even slightly radical are generally looked down upon. If an Inquisitor dose something REALLY stupid like summon a daemonhost, he gets automatically excommunicated and sentenced to death - so the trick to being a radical is to not get caught doing something you shouldn't!

Inquisitors don't answer to the High Lords - technically, the High Lords answer to the Inquisition. Inquisitors have to answer to one another - they constantly keep tabs on eachother and won't hesitate to attack eachother for percieved heresey - conviniently advancing their careers!

As for books, beyond the Eisenhorn trilogy, you could also read the Ravenor books - the two are linked and really rather...well average, but good for fluff!

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I'd also recommend the Inquisition Illustrated Guide (a very good sourcebook summing up and explaining a lot of things from all the novels dealing with the Inquisition, including individuals, organizations and equipment) ... or the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook and it's supplemental Inquisitor's Handbook. Whilst the latter two books are actually an RPG, they do contain tons of fluff about how the Inquisition works (after all, the player characters are inquisitorial acolytes, inducted troopers or adepta sororitas).

"Just as Acolytes compete with each other, so too do Inquisitors. This can lead to a far more serious and altogether deadlier kind of competition where more than mere lives are at stake. Inevitably this rivalry affects the Acolytes as they become drawn into their masters' conflicts. There is so much infighting within the Inquisition that, at times, much of its resources can become tied up in these internal struggles. Therefore it may become very difficult for an Acolyte to be sure of the foe he is fighting and the righteousness of his cause; he can only trust that the commands of his master are pure in the eyes of the God-Emperor."
    - Dark Heresy RPG, Inquisitor's Handbook p. 213, The Secret War

and:

"It is worth remembering that most Inquisitors were once Acolytes themselves and they take with them much of their former master's reputation when they enter the office. This can lead to complicated and convulated lines of fealty within the Inquisition, much as exists among an individual Inquisitor's Acolytes, with lines of masters and servants stretching back across the centuries. Quite often, as a result of rejuvenate treatments, an Inquisitor may still be in contact with their former master and possibly their master's master, and so on..."
    - Dark Heresy RPG, Inquisitor's Handbook p. 213, First Among Inquisitors

The Dark Heresy Core Book also mentions the occasional existence of regional Conclaves, where Inquisitors of more than one Ordo can come together for cooperation in order to watch over a particular area of Imperial space. It is also worth noting that not every single Inquisitor actually has to be a member of one of the Ordos (of which there are more than the most prominent three) - membership is entirely optional.
    Last edited by Lynata; September 1st, 2008 at 03:08.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

+ Reply to Thread