Imperium rivalries - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Imperium rivalries

This just occured to me, as the Space marine update is upon us and I hear IG is not far behind. What kinda rivalries do the Space marines have with the Imperium guard? Do they get along well? Are IG jealous of the supremecy Marines hold? Will a IG commander or commisar get angry if they can't handle a situation and have to call upon the marines to clean up their mess? Have any fights broken out, however one sided it may be.

This also included the extent of rivalries between Marine chapters, IG regiments, even Grey knights and sisters, basicly any army of the imperium having a rivalry with any other army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

As far as I know, the Astartes are borderline worshipped by baseline humans.

Not worshipped properly, but certainly revered as holy instruments of the Emperor's wrath and all that.

An IG commander that would refuse help is at the very least suspect, although NEEDING help isn't the best way to advance ones career, but since Space Marines are rarer than hens teeth in the big scheme of things I would guess being able to "call upon" them is a sufficiently rare occasion to not be worried about.

However, it is not reciprocated, there are numerous instances where Marines have flat out refused to fight alongside other Imperial forces, most usually where the other Imperial forces include abhumans. There is a bit of fluff in an old WD where a Marine squad arrived at a firefight and left without firing a shot because the troops they were upposed to be aiding were Ogryns.
    Last edited by Beardy_Wierdy; September 5th, 2008 at 01:30.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh the old interbranch rivalry.. maybe you would fiind that amongst Imperial Guard Navy vs Army vs Titan Legionaires, but I doubt the sanity of a guardsman who fancies his chances in a punch up with a spcae marine. And also its not as if Space Marines are ever off duty/ on leave and haning around bars/ canteens/ clubs where this kind of thing usually happens.. indeed the only time their younger IG brothers will even see them will be when they are in power armour.

you COULD say that there is a certain animosity between a marine chapter and a certain guard regiment.. maybe the marines DIDNT turn up and save them in time, accidently bombarded the wrong positions, cleansed the regiment of faithless but popular officers, shamed them in a certain action... however I doubt it would manifest itself in anything other than sullen resentment or a dip in morale. Certainly not an all out rivalry between the Guard and Marines in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

Well, the DA codex states that IG regiments have refused help from the Angels of Redemption on occasion, due to their habit of running off at the most inopportune moments to go hunt Fallen, so it's not unheard-of.
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now you also made point of asking about the rivalry between the greyknights and sisters of battle.

The grey knights are themselves Above the rest of even the marines to put it nicely, they are revered by All marines and most IG regiments. they dont care about anyones emotions or feelings.

Sisters are devote fanatics put simply, if they believe some one else is more devote to the emperor than them they will try and throw more bodies onto the fires of marytrdom then anyone else, which they usualy do anyway.

it just depends, but no one in their right name should accept help from the dark angels anyway, they are heretical scum and need to be burnt for their traitorous crimes. but meh.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

As a chaos player, I love it when the imperium quarels with itself, makes it easier for me.

Yea the IG/SM thing is a bit far fetched, but since there are Ogryns and sqauts in the IG, it's possible for marines to not assist what they see as mutants. The rivalry between marines is more interesting though. I was looking through the Dark ANgel Codex, turns out Lion El'Johnson took a fort that Leman Russ wanted to take, Russ was soo angry he attacked Lion. Apperently this carries down to the present day. When Dark Angels units run into Space Wolves units, they have their champions fight each other.

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Usakar Creed also has a beef with the Dark Angels as well. So it would be localized and not Imperium Wide like the Inter-branch rivalries. The one-upsmanship would be localized to the same species. Marines get reclassed when they start getting additional organs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

I don't know if it could be considered so much as a rivalry, but I bet there are IG commanders and regiments that would not fight alongside certain SMs and vice versa. Another easy example would be Black Templars fighting alongside a unit that included psykers.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I am sure Imperial Guard are envious about not being functionally invincible. Aside from that, Space Marines are religious icons in their own right, but since most Guardsmen never see one it's a rather moot point. They genuflect at the statues then head out to die. In the rain.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread