Necron fluff... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Necron fluff...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Necron fluff...

It is even possible to do a first-person narrative from a necron's perspective? I really like the look of the army, but I won't start one unless there's good fluff to be written, and it seems like their very concept makes writing impossible.

Are the necrons mindless killing robots or am I missing something? With all the creativeness of the warhammer 40k universe, the necrons seem really weak, fluff wise.

"They were all alive at the beginning of time, they hated other races and so made a deal with gods to live forever as killer vegetables..."

It just doesn't leave much for the imagination to take hold of, you know?

Victory is achieved through mettle.
    Glory is acheived through metal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

There mostly midless killing robots controled by the C'tan.

The codex does say that some of the necrontyr's minds were not dulled by the transfer process but it does not point to any particular model that this would happen in so it could be anything from a lowly Warrior to the Lord himself

So story can be written from the point of the C'tan or any 1 or 2 Necron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

It depends on the Necron. I did a story from the POV of a Flayed One, pre and post necronization. A lord, maybe an immortal or something may work. There's a good lot of information in the 5th edition book and some nice snippets from the codex to look through for info on their mental states.

Originally Necrons still retained most of their personality. Their deep, seething hatred of life and the old ones had them ignore their interment. Each time a Necron dies it's memories become more fragmented. Think of how imperial soldiers and Orks slowly become more and more machine after they take damage, this happens to Necrons on a mental level instead. Necron lords would be great if you wanted to do a story through the eyes of a viscous and malicious leader dealing with the enemy.

Wraiths and flayed ones are largely considered to have been "mentally unstable" necrons. My view is that Flayed Ones are trying to retain their mortality buy draping themselves in flesh. Wraiths on the other hand, I view as the sociopaths reveling in the visceral slaughter of mortals.

Immortals (And destroyers) are the most blindly loyal of all, even those that are still partially sentient are so blindly loyal to the C'tan and have such a raw hatred of others that they simply do whatever they are told and blaze their wrath at the universe into their foes.

Pariahs cold be interesting. A human mind bent to the will of their lack of a soul and their servitude to the C'tan, perhaps have a pariah as a human and then a necron slave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that the necrons who kept their minds quickly went insane, and the flayed ones resulted.
    This thread is unclean brothers! PURGE IT WITH FLAME!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I heard that the C'Tan deliberately crippled Necron minds during their transformations to ensure total control. In any event, there is no record of Necrons cooperating or communicating with any other race in any of the fluff I've read, so any Necron fluff would be like Tyranid fluff...written from an outsider's perspective, by necessity.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

There's something somewhere (sorry it's so vague I forgot the source) mentioning a Necron Lord speaking with an aeptus mechanicus. Also the Necron Lord in Soulstorm is apparently fluent in Gothic, Eldar, Ork, Tau and Crazy since it speaks.

Big thing to remember writing from the necron and necrontyr perspective. As far as anyone knows none of them have or had a gender so you cannot really use words denoting such. It's VERYtough to pull of but metal robot skeletons have no "special place" and are therefore genderless and referred to as an "it"

+ Reply to Thread