Marine/civilian relations - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Marine/civilian relations

I could have sworn this thread existed, but i havent seen it so....

How do marines tend to treat normal humans? Do they see them as infirior weaklings?
    Do they see them as hepless children that need attention? Would they have no problem deciding the fate of a human? I know they take pride in their duty to protect them. It doesn't how to treat them though. DO they even intereact with humans on their homeworlds or human worlds they fight on? Do they have a sensitivty training course in the chapter for dealing with humans lol? You know, how to deal with the normal humans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

I'd say it depends on the chapter. The nicest - e.g. Ultramarines - probably strive to appear benevolent and gain the approval of the people. The worst have a callous disregard for life, any life, and will sacrifice any numbers of non-Astartes to achieve their goals. Heck, one of the DA successor chapters is infamous for just skipping out, leaving entire planets to the slaughter, to track down one single Fallen. As soon as they get the word, they pull out and go hunt traitor. They just don't care.
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps abetter question would be how are marines supposed to behave toward humans. this is not a moral or philosophical question but rather what the Codex Astartes says on the subject. I am sure Guilliman included something about how one should act towards the masses they are sworn to protect and serve.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

This is my understanding

Salamanders - Work and live on Nocturne among the human brethren so possibly the most friendly
    Space Wolves and Blood Angels - Respect and value the normal human, just not as much as another Marine, these chapters generally work towards a better future for mankind. I think the majority of chapters share these sort of ideals.

However the Inquisistion and the High Lords of Terra are human and not marine. The marines do generally obey them.

I think Space Marines in general see the general populace as weaker and less valuable but I dont think they really interact with them if they can avoid it. (Apart from the odd few chapters) I think I read somewhere that they are forbidden from raising human armies, but I would imagine if they weren't they probably would. I think the Ultramarines have a sort of PDF trained by them, and the Blood Angels have failed asparants as Guards for Baal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam51 View Post
    [...]the Blood Angels have failed asparants as Guards for Baal
    Pardon me if I wrong, but isn't the definition of "failed aspirant" something along the lines of "guy who wanted to make SM, but died in the process"? Not much of a soldier, if you ask me...
    No.

Pedantic Englishman Wolf Lord Herby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    136 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhankh View Post
    Pardon me if I wrong, but isn't the definition of "failed aspirant" something along the lines of "guy who wanted to make SM, but died in the process"? Not much of a soldier, if you ask me...
    Depends where along the process they failed. And most failed aspirants, that survived, become either Chapter serfs, Chapter guards, or, if they were badly injured, Chapter Servitor.

EDIT: And, to say something remotely on-topic..

I know the Space Wolves, at least, tend to view humans as inferior weaklings that they are nevertheless sworn to protect. Especially the young 'uns who haven't realsied that a Guardsman may not be able to keep up with them on campaign, due to the lack of extra organs, enchanced muscles and a powered exoskeleton.

They also consider all non-Space Marines within the Chapter organisation below them. For example, The greenest Blood Claw would still look down on a failed Aspirant who has nevertheless become Head of the Fang's Household (or whatever the highest title might be) as a serf.
    Last edited by Wolf Lord Herby; September 19th, 2008 at 18:58.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as htey are loyal to the emperor I reckon they would be quite benelovent to them. The marines are human as well, GMd to buggery mind but still human, so I doubt they view them with disdain.
    Woe unto the humans who are not friendly to the empereror though..

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Of course the amount of humans on mostl worlds that have ever actually seen a space marine can be counted on the fingers of one head.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They think of humans as people lower than them. However, this doesn't mean that they do not like them. Think of it like the Marine is a king and the human is a common peasant. By "human" I mean Guardsmen as well. This would make a Scout someone in the House of Commons. A Space marine can order around a Guardsman if there is no Imperial Guard Officer around. But the Officer cannot order around the Marines. It's a bit confusing but you should get my drift.
    I'm completely sane, and the voices in my head agree!

Ultramainres 3rd Company
    W/D/L
    0/2/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Like someone stated above, it depends on the chapter. The grey knights, if they ever came into contact with a living normal person, they would pretend they didnt exist.

In my opionion, the Ultramarines would be the most likely chapter to treat normal humans like humans rather than animals.

The Dark Angels and the Black Templars, I think, would sooner kill the humans than look at them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 29th, 2008, 02:27
  2. September 27th, 2008, 04:57
  3. September 26th, 2008, 15:08