The average citizen perception in the Imperium - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The average citizen perception in the Imperium

Question: I was having an argument with my friend over if the average imperial citizen is aware that the emperor is "dead" I know they precieve him as a god and the high lords of terra really run the imperium and everything. But what is the average citizens perception? Do they know of the "Golden Throne" or is he revered like a Zeus or Isis or something

“Krump first, assk qweztions neva'!"- 3000 Orks
    5/4/2
    Dark Eldar- 1500 1/0/0
    "the very gods for vengeance cry”- 3000 Dwarves
    3/1/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

The average Guard definititely has knowledge of the throne, seeing how in books and games they curse, "by the throne" etc, so im assuming that they know of the emperor's sacrifice.
    So, the average citizen MUST have an awareness that the emperor is "dead".

He is probably revered just as people worship God today. Some are most devout than others, while some hardly care - they are too busy working in manufactoriums to care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

As a result of the Ecclesiarchy's policy to manipulate and adapt Imperial Faith into already existing religions on a planet targeted for assimilation by the Missionarus Galaxia, there are numerous different beliefs. Defining the "average Imperial citizen" is therefor a hard thing to begin with.

However, there are indeed some cornerstones common to all variants of Imperial Faith:
    - the Emperor is a Living God
    - the Emperor watches over you (either from distant Terra, or represented by the local religion)
    - the Emperor sacrificed himself for you, and you are expected to repay this debt
    - you repay this debt in servitude and in blood, "only in death does duty end"

Also, maybe this does help a little:

"[...] The ways in which the Emperor is worshipped are multitudinous. To some He is revered as a distant, patriarchal and human figure. Others identify Him with some aspect of nature. Many others, such as the primitive Epheisians of Dwimlicht, regard Him as a star-god, for his agents only visit occasionally and they descend from the heavens when they do so. [...]"
    - excerpt from Dark Heresy RPG Corebook : Chapter IX - Life in the Imperium, Superstition & Faith, The Cult Imperialis

Dark Heresy is truly a great resource for this kind of stuff.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

I bet none of these religions mention that glorified life support system failing huh. Imagine the kind of chaos unleashed if the Imperium knew that corpse they prayed to was about to finally die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

True, Lynata, True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

He's really not though.. the Golden throne isn't a life support system, it's more of a giant soul-extractor.

Plus, he doesn't actually have any injuries anymore if you go by Inquisitor. They healed within a few years, it's just that the Emperor never bothered to tell anyone how to reinsert his soul into his body, and noone else even has the slightest clue how the golden throne works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The majority of people in the imperium as it's been noted already belive in the Emperor in a myriad of ways. Even down to people beliveing in ghosts and things of that nature being argued by all branches.
    I'll be damned before the soldiers of the Emperor are just left to rot!
    Last words of Colonel Densit from the Rahaxin 19th

"DISS NOT THE EMPEROR'S POINTED STICK, HERETIC!"

If it doesn't work with the Emperor. Then it's been officially Karmooned!!!

BEWARE THE POWER OF THE LIGHT-BRIGHT!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think the average citizen might have alot of varied ways of seeing the Emperor. The golden throne has a seat or spot where the Emperor sits after a fashion. But it isn't a chair. It is a big gross, weird machine of some kind and the golden bit it meant to refer to the Emperor being holy etc. Most citizens and most high up cardinal in the Imperial faith will think the throne is golden a beautiful when it is actually rather gross looking.

I have seen several pictures of what the Emperor and the golden throne are meant to look like. I think the best by far was in the original 1st edition of 40K my older brother had and I still have. I there he looked really crusty and shrivelled and the throne was in no way a throne but a big, weird, gross machine of some sort. I think that with a citizen's point of view the Emporer will be idealised and a great deal of other things will be too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    He's really not though.. the Golden throne isn't a life support system, it's more of a giant soul-extractor.

Plus, he doesn't actually have any injuries anymore if you go by Inquisitor. They healed within a few years, it's just that the Emperor never bothered to tell anyone how to reinsert his soul into his body, and noone else even has the slightest clue how the golden throne works.
    dude you just blow my mind. So if Dorn just have stayed alive long enough then the how 10,000 years of religues wars and civil conflicts over the rulership of the imperium would have happened.

on the subject of the cult of the emperor: the citizens largely know he is dead or at the very least "not walking around" any more. I't just like the religion now a days, allof the present gods and proffets are long gone but people still worship them.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    I have seen several pictures of what the Emperor and the golden throne are meant to look like. I think the best by far was in the original 1st edition of 40K my older brother had and I still have. I there he looked really crusty and shrivelled and the throne was in no way a throne but a big, weird, gross machine of some sort.
    There's also a rather "grimdark" image of the Emperor in his Golden Throne in the Dark Heresy rulebook that sounds like the one you mentioned. Basically, in there he looks almost like a skeleton, with his skin looking like nothing more than a thin layer of half-transparent parchment.

"Corpsegod" for real.
    "Do you want your heretic rare, medium or well done, Lord Inquisitor?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast