My army backgrounds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

My army backgrounds

Over the past year I have tried to think of a way to link by imperial armies together and to think of an interesting background to give them some character, to suggest conversions and to provide a hook for game scenarios.

In old fashioned GW style I've taken an existing historical idea and tried to change extensively to fit the 40k universe. Its probably not hard to work out where I got the names and basic principles from.

In writing this down I found it easiest to briefly describe the history of the planet all three of my armies are from. I've had a look at the fluff forum rules and I think its ok to post that story here, but moderators if it's not just say

I know a big block of text is daunting, but my point is not to post it just because I've written it, but to ask if people think its a plausible within the 40k universe and if they have any suggestions. Most importantly I'm really not happy with the Marine chapters name 'Grail MArines'... its a bit naff, so any suggestions there would be much appreciated

My apologies in advance for subjecting you to my ramblings

If the big block of text below seems daunting please skip to my third post

Last edited by matus; November 17th, 2008 at 16:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Camlann II is a low grade agri world in the Sementum [data lost]. The planet first appears in adeptus administratum records when it was rediscovered by an Explorator fleet in the mid 32nd millennium. Camlann's population had reverted to a medieval, feudal society ruled over by a warrior cast and this, combined with the planets relative lack of mineral wealth and backwater location meant it was largely ignored by imperial authorities, with only sporadic tithes of foodstuffs and manpower being levied upon its inhabitants. Camlann disappears from the record until it played host to the Medraut Incident.

Medraut was an aspirant Spacemarine of the Grail Marine Chapter. Following the discovery of the failure during of phase 18 of his gene seed implantation and fearing death, or worse, a life as a chapter servitor, Medraut fled from his chapter. Perused by his former brothers, Medraut hid himself away on the remote world of Camlann II. Unaware of the location of their fugitive son Chapter MAster Arturus and his Grail Marines busied themselves searching the local systems. Temporarily safe from the retribution promised by his former brothers, and benefiting from the genetic enhancements of a space marine, incomplete as they were, Medraut was easily able to integrate himself into one of the Kingdoms of his new home. Quickly rising up the strata of society, Medraut was soon able to install himself as ruler of a sizable kingdom, styling himself King of Camlann. Without the mental and spiritual conditioning of an astartes warrior however Medraut was seduced by the wealth and power of his new found position becoming a paranoid and jealous Tyrant.

The eventual results of his campaigns or the true source of his corruption will probably never be known, for at this point fate intervened. Having eventually risen to the surface during a routine data trawl, Camlann was visited by a departmento munitorum labour convoy. As the administrators attempted to collect a labour tithe Medraut and his warriors descended upon them. The resulting call for help was intercepted by a Grail Marine frigate and within hours the full force of the 1st and 5th companies were bought to bear. Descending on wings of fire the angels of death sought out the Despot of Camlann. Well led as they were, the militia armies were no match for the fury of the astartes. Within two days Chapter Master Arturus and his brother marines stood before Medraut in the remains of an ancient castle. The final battle of Camlann was bloody and fierce and short. Finding his fallen brother in the ruins of the moss covered keep, Arturus charged into combat. Medraut’s powers had grown far beyond the kin of a failed aspirant and though the Master of the Grail Marines was able to slay the tyrant, the cost was a mortal wound.

As their fallen Master was conveyed to the Battle Barge Averlon the Grail Marines conducted a search of the castle ruins. Expecting the planet to be raised to the ground the representatives of the departmento munitorum begged to be allowed to take a portion of the population. Their pleas were not answered, yet nor did the expected exterminus occur. By the third day the remained of the Grail Marine fleet had arrived in system. On the fifth, the labour convoy was ordered to depart. With the departure of those departmento munitorum observers official records halted. Within a month the previously fleet bound Grail Marine chapter had declared Camlann II their new home world. The suspicious eye of the Imperium now rest upon Camlann and its new masters, for though the presence of Chaos or Xenos were never apparent, the suspicion of some taint upon that world is ever present.
    Last edited by matus; November 17th, 2008 at 17:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 (x6)

What I wanted to convey in this was an idea of a chapter that has a secret. I wanted to give the impression that they found something and they are protecting it. Its something that they don't want the imperium as a whole to know about, because its dangerous, because they're not ready, who knows. To be honest I've not even decided what yet (any suggestions ). I didn't want another 'They've gone Chaos", 'they've gone bad' or even 'they're relicators'.

I also figured that I could tie my inquisition models and my IG army into this.

Firstly I thought that the best way for a Marine Chapter to be under suspicion, (even if no one knows quite what they are being suspicious of) would be for the chapter to have close relations with an inquisitor. Even better if that inquisitor had a reputation for being a little...erm radical himself being friends with 1000 super human warriors would help keep the puritans off his back, a sort of symbiotic relationship if you will.

Next I thought that even in a world at the level of Earth in the middle ages, there would be a lot of people there. Enough to supply a space marine chapter with recruits and have some to spare. If it is estimated that there were over 73 million people in europe alone in 1340 my little planet could supply a 1000 man strong marine chapter and a couple of regiments.

However I hear you cry, marine home worlds don't raise guard regiments, they're exempt from that tithe! What about a planetary defense force though? With all those marines around they probably would not need one (although if they are under enough superstition you never know). Yet the Ultramiarines raise whole armies, so its obviously not totally against the codex astartes etc. All peasants in medieval England had to practice with the long bow, swap that for lasgun and you have the basis for a planetary militia. That militia could be fielded with my maris in apocalypse games and would provide something for my inquisitor to induct. As a mere pdf, seen as unnecessary and even worrying by a suspicious dupartmeto munitorium however it would get the last pick of any supplies. Lasguns and small stuff we know even small colonies can manufacture themselves, but tanks and stuff I decided would be rare. Step in Forge World with their excellent line of out of date/second line equipment, the aging malcador, the unmounted heavy mortar etc. Lastly this allows me to kit bash guardsmen and bretonians (as you can see in my painting and modeling threads)

Does this seem fair and in keeping. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by matus; November 17th, 2008 at 16:50.

+ Reply to Thread