New chapter renting vehichles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New chapter renting vehichles

So i decided that i wanted to make a new chapter have them be based off of space wolves. I will use space wolf rules but colour schemes and such will be different, so in essence i am space wolves but more of a 'sub chapter'. While painting i thought it may be a cool idea to 'rent' some space wolf vehichles. I have 2 predators one 2nd ed and one 3rd ed...(i believe i got that right ) But instead of painting them the traditonal green and orange coulours, i decided to make them standard space wolf blue to show that this new chapter has the support of the space wolves. Is that too tacky? a friend of mine said that was the dumbest idea since no chapter wants to "help" other chapters with financial and technological support. Am I crazy or is he just hating?

A feral Ork is a happy Ork.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

Well, fluff-wise, the Space wolves have no subcessors, as their geneseed is extremely unstable.

However, the Space Wolves are an immense, and are far more numerous than most other loyalists chapters, due to not truly disbanding their legion (they had only one succesor, but those died if I remember correctly). Instead, they split up into companies, which are all housed in the Fang. Each Wolf Lord is completly free to lead their company as they wish. The reason the armour sceme stays the same so much is because Space Wolves are men of tradition. If one of their Wolf Lords would say: "Hey, let's go green and orange!" they're not going to object (although depict him as crazy).
    Same goes for the shoulder symbol. Each Wolf Lord picks a new one when he comes to power, etc.

Now, I like armies to be uniform, so I would just paint up your tankies just like the rest of your company. Also, the companies don't exchange wargear, so they SHOULD be the same colour as your company. That would make sense.

Having a non-possibly existant succesor chapter borrow tanks from space wolves makes no sense, however.

~Wulf
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I like this idea, i wouldn't call it renting though, it conjures ideas of Herz and such .

Still, very cool idea, a new chapter would indeed not have a whole lot of vehicles but the parent chapter would want this new chapter to succeed. I think they would perhaps even lend veteran marines to act as sergeants and drill masters to the new chapter. Very cool idea, rep worthy!
    Last edited by Zema; November 20th, 2008 at 12:51.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

They wouldn't really rent since the possibility of total loss is high. Besides, if really would not be needed.

That being said, I'm sure they'd probably get "set up to succeed" from the get-go. They get the preds, bikes etc they'd need to start out. I imagine the chapter(s) from their lineage might gift them some of the rarer things, like tactical dreadnought armor and land raiders.

The fluff actually never fully addresses this. I've often speculated that a core of veterans from the parent chapter would form the leadership core of the new chapter. If simply doesn't make sense to create 1000 green marines and set them loose on the galaxy. It is too important and the blood ties though the geneseeds are to strong between successors.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea you guys are probably right. And wulf i do agree that armys should remain uniform. Thanks for the help, rep all around!
    A feral Ork is a happy Ork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that SMs tend to treat their Machines as living creatures. It's unlikely that they'd "loan" a chapter gear, as they'd view that as unnecessarily disruptive to the machine spirit, and not conductive to forming good working relationships with their new users.

They'd just GIVE the gear to them, if they needed it, particularly as they're child chapter of theirs.

Remember that a new chapter would come with a bunch of new space marines, as well as a core of hardened veterans from the founder chapter, as well as a reasonable store of gear and equipment.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Well first of all the Space wolves do have at least one known successor Chapter, The Wolf Brothers.

Secondly renting is probably the wrong term for it but Space Marine Chapters do often fight side by side. More than this they can and do train with each other. As an example Marines from many Chapters may send their Thunderhawk pilots to train with the Hawk Lords.

Another example is the fact that the memorial to the Astral Knights Chapter on Safehold is guarded by a number of different Chapters.

Quite simply your idea isn't odd at all. It may be that for whatever reason your Chapter doesn't have predator tanks but through blood ties to their parent chapter the Space Wolves have pledged to support the Chapter with x-number of tanks.

Or perhaps they have an ancient ritual where every hundred years two predator tanks (and their crews) are exchanged for a 10 year crusade with the other chapter.

I believe I read somewhere that the initial leadership of new Chapters is made up of veterans from a parent chapter (as has been mentioned) but also from officers from Chapters that are other wise extinct or dying (for example the Mantis Warriors have about 120 marines left, once they get down to 16 or 17 they would hardly be a viable fighting unit anymore. Better to have them oversee a completely new Chapter.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread