Libraian Dreadnoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Libraian Dreadnoughts

How come Librarians never are interred into a Dreadnought? Could you imagine a Dreadnought using psykik powers?

If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

that would be awesome. A 10 ft tall warmachine with a massive daemon weapon. Hmmm.... Ithink i found my new project.
    Lets go massacre something

I am a sexy shoeless god of war!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Game wise, too powerful. Fluff-wise, Librarians are already untrusted, so the Marines aren't going to risk a Dreadnought with psychic abilities to become corrupted by Chaos. And as for the Chaos ones, they're insane, so the Chaos boys won't give something that already attacks them more weapons with which to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Think of encasing a Psyker into a Dreadnaught like encasing a Daemon itself into a Dreadnaught...
    The Adeptus Mechanicus would not risk it, as they draw deeply from the powers of the warp, which is full of vicious entities and creatures that would like nothing better than to capture the Psyker's soul and feast on their brain, then take the body for their own reckoning. So imagine a Psyker who has been affected by Perils of the Warp, near death, the Tech-Priests taking them back to be encased into the Dreadnaught body, and then the Dreadnaught going on fits of rampage.
    Bear in mind that it will still look really cool; a Dreadnaught metamorphing right in front of your eyes to account for the essence inside. But how could the Librarian send lighting bolts arching through his fingers? He would have to use the Dreadnaught arms, and we all know what happens when lighting and metal mix... Especially if the weapon he is wielding is a twin-linked multi-melta...(DOUBLE BULGY)

Good concept, but too powerful, and two dangerous.

Fly High!
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

The greatest of the Grey Knight heroes (undoubtedly powerful psykers in their own right) have been committed to Dreadnoughts yet there is no record of any Grey Knight Dreadnought being able to use its psychic powers.

It is probable that the fusion of man and machine dulls or cuts off the psychic powers of a psyker.

So to answer your question, Librarians probably are interred in Dreadnoughts. The real question is why can't Librarian dreadnoughts use their psychic powers?
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yup, the Visitor's got it right again (see that little Fluffmasters thingy? )

At any rate, I doubt that a psycher could use certain manifestaions of their powers. It's generally accepted that a Pyro-Librarian would be at a severe disadvantage to use his powers. Those who cast lightning bolts would be alright if you could build a way to channel the energy through the body and into a weapon. However, you are also assuming that the pilot has use of his hands- which he does not.
    Dreadnought pilots are utterly crippled. No arms, no legs, nothing. They are basically a brain in a jar. That being said, some powers would likely still work:
    Telekinesis is probably still possible
    As is Precognition
    Additionally, assuming that a force weapon is just a "spell" cast by a Psycher onto his wargear, you could essentially have a Dreadnought becoming a full borne Force Weapon.

My chapter maintains an ancient dreadnought who has begun to manifest something of a precognitive power. My chapter is far from Codex however, but select warriors make pilgrimages to the 'shrine' that houses this Dreadnought, and ask for Oracle-like prophecies.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Librarain Dreadnoughts are probably rare because when a Librarian is killed it will probably be messier than a regular marine. Daemonic presences ripping at his frayed mind might try to manifest in reality, better to purge his body, rebless his armour and add his name to the scroll of heroes.
    Should a Librarian lose his mind and go on a rampage it is bad, should a dreadnought do it, his battle brothers would be hard pressed to stop him at all.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Id think too many chapters would think it too much of a risk to inter a Libarian in a Dread. Best solution I could think off is to put some type of physic damper on the dreadnought to prevent the Librarian from using his powers.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

In a way you are all right, yet I dare to come with a somewhat different reason.
    It's got nothing to do with a psycher being to easy to corrupt or that a dreadbody wouldn't let him use his powers. Nope.

My explenation would be that it is quite possible to make a Psycherdread, but Forgeworld has not yet released the model.
    So, as soon as they do (and after the ChaplainDread it seems more than possible) it will seem as if it has always been possible.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Also bare in mind that you can always use counts as rules.....

For example 'my' Librarian Dreadnought could simply use Venerable Dreadnought rules to represent the psychic powers at his disposal.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; December 12th, 2008 at 16:36.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast