Youngling - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youngling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Youngling

I wrote this tiny story as a prologue to a larger Ork biography I am writing. This part kind of shows my guess at what happens when an ork is born and what happens afterwords. I mostly wrote this part simply because I wanted to flesh out that area of ork fluff because I found very few information:

The following is an Imperial translation of the biography of the Goff Warlord Ulker Drazghag, which was scribed by a captive Imperial Inquisitor under threat of death. The Warlord wanted to be remembered and desired a good writer to write his legacy. This was of course, written word-for-word with the warlord and his vulgar tongue has been translated at the best of our abilities.

Prologue

Cold, damn cold, that is all I really know about how I felt after I first formed. I was a good spore, the typical ork spore. I was small, frail, weak, the exact opposite about what I was to be when I entered adulthood. It’s an odd feeling when you first warp out of being a spore into a baby ork. You feel the outer layer of what used to be your spore outer film (kind of like your skin) begin to absorb into you. Its very painful at first, making it worst with the fact that you have never experienced pain before. The pain is caused by the nerves in your skin shooting out electric shocks to test and make sure that they are working. You tend to writhe a little bit, not able to make noise when your vocal cords haven't formed yet. The pain is then accompanied by a big WHOOSH of warmth throughout your body, that is the sign your hypothalamus is activating. Then you just lie there, motionless as your body continues to form itself. Uncomfortable is an understatement. You retch and vomit as your digestive tract convulses as it forms, and then you gasp as your lungs immediately begin working and you open your eyes for the first time, blinking a lot. Your visions is very, very blurry, and your eyes are watery and wet. Nothing is visible, only smudges, and blinks of colour. You are in a fetal position (We orks don’t really have fetal positions because we are never really born, but looking at human fetal positions, it is essentially the same).

Then I was grabbed, quite violently, by a big green hand. My skin was white at the time, the algae in my bloodstream had not yet started to reproduce, which would eventually turn my skin the dark ember green it is today. Then I heard a squeaky voice, spoken through a broken toothed mouth, "Oi, I found anova one!". My new eyes squinted to try to see the form of what had picked me up. I saw a green face with a large, broken nose, along with great pointed ear. It was a gretchin working in the spore fields had picked me up to inspect me. " Ah, it’s a pre'ey big one, ee's a warrior all right." he then handed me to another gretchin beside him. It was missing an eye, he had an eye patch on his face, along with a long three-clawed scratch mark on his face across where his eye should have been. "Aye, better 'and 'im to Grotuz. 'E is the one we need to give 'em to."

The one-eyed gretchin carried me slung under his arm, then put me in a steel basket on the back of a war trukk. The trukk was a dark oil colour, with a large crew storage area. It was the expected ork youngling carrier trukk, a war trukk that was considered at the end of its use and too old to use in war anymore. It was crudely made with scrap metal used anywhere that it could be used, its six wheels were mostly deflated, and caked in mud, snow, dirt, and what appeared to be dry, flaking blood. It's multiple exhaust pipes riddled it higgeldy piggledy from its front to the back of the large, open roofed crew area. The front window was smashed, and fogged from smoke and grease. The wheels; mostly flat and very muddy and snowy. Checkerboard decorations covered its sides, but the paint was beginning to dull and thin from age, It was obviously left in disrepair. There were also many other bowels like the one I was in scattered around the large crew area.

The basket (or should I say bucket?)was pretty uncomfortable and calling it a basket is a bit of an overstatement, it was more of a piece of cut metal badly bent into a bowl like shape. I could only see the sky then, it was cloudy, and snowing. Then, everything began to rumble as the engine started, sputtering and rattling violently. Smoke covered the sky above me as the exhaust burst from the smoke stack at the front. Unbeknownst to me, the many other metal bowls on the truck with me, filled with ork younglings considered large enough to be warriors.

Little did I know what Gork had planned for me.

[/quote] "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! And tea and crumpets for the commisar was it? Wonderful, that will be ready for you in just a moment sirs." - Khorne Berserker [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Interesting, here be a few know wots fer ya yoof!

fer a start, young Orks are yoofs (youths). When they pop out of their underground womb they are the equivalent of a teenager (bigger than a weedy grot) more muscled than your average human, but not slabbed like their older cousins. Certainly not a baby who can be carried by a small Grot!

They start out pretty cave man-esque, with little to no knowledge of teknology. Even mek boys need to grow into their knowledge. Leave it to the older boyz to teach 'em proper ork ways. If he is growing up on an Ork held planet, he will probably be born into a household, where as if there are only a few orks on the planet he may end up joining a feral ork tribe.

A young Ork would be a pale green, but still probably darker than a grot. I don't think they are picked in general, one would assume they dig their way out when they are strong enough.

Not sure why a still forming ork would wake up to being sentient, do you remember your skin forming?

If you can get your hands on codex Orks from second edition and the Gorkamorka rulebooks, a lot of early ork life will be explained.

Making a few small changes to the current story will make in fit into current fluff nicely
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks! That info is really helpful, maybe I will post the revised prologue sometime.
    [/quote] "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! And tea and crumpets for the commisar was it? Wonderful, that will be ready for you in just a moment sirs." - Khorne Berserker [/quote]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I also probbably won't re-write it in first person, seems to be better if its written in third person

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

3rd person sure is easier, especially when covering the Birth of an Alien Life form.

good luck with it
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks mate!

+ Reply to Thread