the history of AI in the Imperium - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

the history of AI in the Imperium

are there any examples of AI type creatures within the imperium ? ( self aware machines)

I am aware there are ancient machines that the imperium doesnt even now how to maintain, that fought in the heresy, but where are they now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AI was banned in the imperium, all robots must have a soul (ie servitors). In the books and old fluff man had conquered the galaxie with an army of "iron men" basicly legions of AI robots. However in good old sci-fi fation they turned on man (think chaos corrupted them). Mechanicus does use Robots however they have very simple programming and are not self aware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought of the machine spirits as a form of AI that the imperium doesn't understand since technology is so lost to them.

And Daston I've never ever heard of any of that except that mankind once conquered the galaxy... It sounds like the Space Marines but they aren't robots they're genetically enhanced humans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its rouge trader/2nd edition fluff. Read First and Only they find and Iron man STC it was pre unification when AI was about. The machine sprit is a religiouse point of view, some felt it was easier to beleive in it rather than reverse engineer, they explaine it in Mechanicus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much like in Dune, humanity banned sentient AI's after they turned on humanity and nearly wiped them out.

Wether or not "Machine Spirits" are actual AI's isn't really clear - for instance, in fluff I've read the Machine Spirit is like a link between the ship and the pilot, which implies that the Machine Spirit and the ship is alive, but it never speaks or communicates openly, only 'feeling' things.

Regath - The Iron Men were before the Space Marines (thus, before the Great Crusade), since Humanity "conquered" the Galaxy once before (This was at a time the Eldar were still around so they didn't as much 'conquer' stuff as 'spread everywhere like rats')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

back in the earliest incarnations of the game, the marines had access to units of automatons, robots that would only do one action until told to change by a tech marine running behind them. As I've had it explained to me, the idea of a machine spirit is a super-advanced AI from before the great crusade. It was advanced enough that it would appear that the machine would have a soul of its own. If any of you have seen the tv show Andromeda, that would probably be pretty close where the machine would have a sort of avatar.
    The only constant in the universe is change, adapt or die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Robots were banned, now all AI must come from a 'human' brain, hotwired into the machine.
    Thus all machines with anything but the most basic AI have some human component, hence the extensive use of Servitors.

In Storm of Iron, all the defences and systems of the gigantic fortress were run by a single tech priest hooked into the machine. Human brain (enhanced with machinery) running systems we would expect an AI/computer to run.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

In the short story pertaining to the schism on Mars in the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, the faction of Mars that sided with Horus made a machine with AI. It was in violation of all the laws of the Mechanicum, but they did it anyway; the sentient robot proceeds to kill the protagonist at the end of the short story. I don't have the book on me right now, so forgive me if there are any small errors in what I am saying. But yeah, there defintely was AI as late as the Horus Heresy,
    ~Looking to buy an Imperial Navy Thunderbolt Pilot: PM me if you're interested~

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tboltpilot.htm.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I believe, might be wrong, that all the stuff about the 'Iron Men' is in the 5th edition rulebook in the timeline section.

It is pre-Imperium.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke111 View Post
    In the short story pertaining to the schism on Mars in the Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, the faction of Mars that sided with Horus made a machine with AI. It was in violation of all the laws of the Mechanicum, but they did it anyway; the sentient robot proceeds to kill the protagonist at the end of the short story. I don't have the book on me right now, so forgive me if there are any small errors in what I am saying. But yeah, there defintely was AI as late as the Horus Heresy,
    That story is continued on in the Horus heresy Book: Mechanicm. The AI is known as the Kaban Machine.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast