OUR History - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUR History

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUR History

Ok, so I know that there are records of the earth of our time, and it had the same (or at least similar) countries as we currently do, but what about history?

This might seem a bit of a stupid question to some, but I was wondering if in the 40k universe people still read and talk about our history. I think this could be very possible as in 40k there are many similarities to our time, for example the Valhallan ice warriors/Soviet union soldiers. I thought that it would be cool to include references to our history in fluff.

For example the Dark Eldar haemonculus torture techniques could be influenced from for example chinese torture techniques.

The Inquisition could have copied its codes of conduct etc. from the inquisition in the dark ages.

Most military tactics of the Imperium could have their roots in our times.

Is this how it is or are these similarities just a crazy coincidence?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I think the biggest reason you see similarities between real world history and 40k fluff is that Games Workshop was simply inspired by all sorts of things, including history, when coming up with the background for the game. I really doubt that the Imperium cares much about who George Washington was, or where Hiroshima was located, or anything like that, and I am positive that the Dark Eldar wouldn't be 'inspired' by anything even remotely related to Imperial history.

Most of the connections are because of GW's inspiration, and it's really cool to see those inspirations take new form in the fluff, but I doubt our history (or even our present!) is really relevant to the interests of the people of 40k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you might be right about that.
    What a bummer

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Oh and when were still talking about our culture, it would be nice of you to help a noob out and tell me if there have ever been any references or annals to christianity/islam/judaism or any of the other mainstream religions/gods of our time?

Just a shot in the dark but would be interested to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

The culture thing as Lost Nemesis said is because well... we can't write about what we don't know about. There's a theory on that at any rate, that says that we can't 'invent' something that isn't already within our genetic memory.

Actually what you should be wondering about is whether OUR earth is the Terra of 40'000 at all. Remember there are many planets out there (or were) especially during the great crusade, that were very similar to ours. Down to the last... everything. Faith, ideologies, everything.

If the 40'000 universe were real, it is actually possible for Space Marine Legions to come down to our planet, right here, right now and say "you misguided humans are part of the Imperium, now stop your silly squabbling and banish all other religions, the Imperial Cult is now in place. Or else we'll pop a bolter cap in yo' ass"

Then there'd be a massive conscription and most of us would be turned into Imperial Guardsmen so we can die for our Imperium.

But back to the original question, I don't think there'd be that much to reference. Think of the time differences. It's the 41st Millenium. Right now we're at the 2nd Millenium. I mean do you talk about ice-age humans in your every day life? Not a lot right? And those are only 10'000 years before Christ. Now imagine making a reference to whatever was on earth 38'000 years behind us.

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

well, remember it's the 41st Millenium. We're just getting started with the 2nd Millenium. I doubt there's a lot of surviving records from our period of time, let alone things from medieval times. I mean history classes have to cover so much material now, in the 41st millenium you've got 40 times more material to cover. At best WW2 is a footnote. And that book is probably censored by the =I= anyway...
    My award winning Orky tale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Also, most of what they did have would have been lost during any one of a number of heresies, crusades, purgings, etc. According to fluff, the Terra is the same and I recall that the emperor would have been born by now, not only that, but he'd have been alive for many hundreds of years by now at least.
    The only constant in the universe is change, adapt or die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

We're in the third millennium now, just to be accurate.
    I don't think its fair to compare the year 2000AD to the years 36000BC when refering to the difference between 40000AD and 2000AD simply because of the technological advancements.

From going from nothing to sending a rocket to the moon is a massive leap in the first 40000 years - to go from a rocket to the moon to colonising planets in the next 40000 not such a leap.
    To go from using clubs and fists to nuclear weapons capable of killing a city at a time is a massive leap - to go from weapons capable of killing a city at a time to a planet at a time not such a leap.

Mankind uses tanks, guns and aircraft now and in M41. There doesn't seem to me to be 40000 years difference between a Leman Russ battle tank and an Abrams, nor does there between a Bolter and an assault rifle.

Things have got more killy, people are living longer and technology is has improved - something that has steadily affected mankind since creation. I think mankind in 40k draws direct influence from the 20thC and earlier - the only difference is the introduction of aliens.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by krushkilldestroy View Post
    The Inquisition could have copied its codes of conduct etc. from the inquisition in the dark ages.
    Unlikely given the Inquisition proper didn't get started until the 1230's the Spanish Inquisition wasn't established until the 1400's

Not to mention the fact that the early Inquisition generally didn't like executing people.

This isn't me trying to be pedantic but simply pointing out that GW is inspired by emotive subjects in history rather than actual events (which is of course the best way to write fiction).

The GW Inquisition is basically based on public perception of the Inquisition, and the Spanish Inquisition which was established in the 1400's well into the Renaissance.

Even inside the WH40K universe its worth baring in mind that there was a period of violent nuclear exchanges and apocalyptic clashes on Terra before the Emperor came to rule. In the Horus Heresy books it implies you even had armies using wierd magic.

In short I don't think much of our History survived into the 41st millenium except for the odd 'Old Earth' saying or Myth.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; February 25th, 2009 at 11:47.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks for all the answers.

I guess it would've been a little more than weird to have a fantasy wargame have so many similarities to our time and world in purpose

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question which, in a sense, makes a lot of this argument irrelevant is does the Imperium of Man actually give a crap about what we did? The civilians of the imperium are too busy surviving to worry about how their forbears got along in life... and Earth's history now obviously has no obvious effect on The Emporer's plans for unification or the World Wars etc wouldn't have happened because The Emporer would have come along and said "no, stop that" *psychic blast* unless that was how Hitler REALLY died? :o

Having said that I always like to think that William Wallace was The Emporer... I mean no one knew of his origins, he was massive, he led Scotland against a seemingly unbeatable foe and also it's in the Celtic area which has strong links to shamanism and druidism anyway - Wasn't the Emporer created by 5,000 Shaman or something to that effect?

And also on the subject of Hitler and other tyrants such as Idi Amim and Napoleon etc... Do you think maybe they have become Greater Daemons or Daemon Princes after their death? It was referenced in some battle I believe, that a Greater Daemon was a "tyrant from the dark ages of mankind" or words to that effect... I like to think that that too ties in to our history...

Sorry for the hijack but it's just a "while we're on the topic.." thing and after all the effects of history are more important than the remembrance of it.
    Ultramarines: W1 D1 L1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast