Shadow in the Warp - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Shadow in the Warp

It's been gnawing on me for a few days now, but this Shadow in the Warp that the Tyranid hive Mind projects, how does it work exactly? My main concern is the following, if a bunch of let's say Word Bearers find themselves on a planet they intent to convert, and suddenly the Tyranids show up, would they be able to wield their Chaos powers against them? or would they be unable to do so?

Also, does the Shadow in the Warp thing have the power to end warp storms or banish summoned daemons or drive Sorcerers insane? And last but not least, how much trouble would those particular Word Bearers be in if let's say they only had two companied on the planet?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Will check the sources again but I believe it was mentioned somewhere (White Dwarf 310 or so) that the Shadow of the Warp has the dubious advantage of lessening the effects of chaos in the area.

So I would imagine that while it might not be impossible to use Psychic Powers summon daemons and so forth it would be harder.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Hmm... how would it affect the already-summoned ones however?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I think Daemons need to induce strong emotions such as hate fear lust etc to stay in the material world and maintain their connection to the warp.

The Shadow in the Warp I think will almost sever theis conenction causing the Daemons to vanish, however I suppose truly grotesque amounts of sacrafices could be made to keep the connection open.

"Right so that is 8 million virgins sacraficed I think we have got the 7 Bloodletters for another 2 hours...."

Just my take on things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Summoned Daemons still draw their power from the warp, that is why they all eventually fade away, and cannot go too far from the tears in reality they spilled from in the first place.

The Shadow is an overbearing noise that makes it difficult for daemons to manifest and for power to be drawn from the warp, so one would assume that it would weaken the grip those daemons have on reality. I doubt it would banish them instantly if they were sitting on the tear and were slaughtering millions in the name of chaos, but it wouldcertainly make them less stable!
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

So what about the Sorcerers? Would they be driven insane or would they have to have some level of contact with the hive mind for that to happen? -

And more importantly, should the Shadow of the Warp manifest itself and lessen if not cut off all connections to the Warp and thus the Chaos Gods, would a Word Bearer (not knowing about the Shadow in the Warp effect) feel his faith threatened?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Adahn View Post
    So what about the Sorcerers? Would they be driven insane or would they have to have some level of contact with the hive mind for that to happen? -

And more importantly, should the Shadow of the Warp manifest itself and lessen if not cut off all connections to the Warp and thus the Chaos Gods, would a Word Bearer (not knowing about the Shadow in the Warp effect) feel his faith threatened?
    Well first off I am not sure how sane a Chaos Sorcerer is in the first place but I shouldn't imaginet hat being cut off from the warp would drive someone insane, it would probably have the opposite effect. Though it might slight unsettling for a psyker I suppose.

The nature of faith is such that I doubt a Word Bearer would mind to much being cut off from the warp. Indeed they may well believe that they can overcome the Hive Mind blockage. And given the uncertainties of the warp and the Chaos gods they might be right....never never believe that anything to do with the warp is akin to science or reason, anything can in theory happen.

I have no doubt that a planet steeped in Chaos (a daemon world for example) could potentially be entirely immune to the Shadow of the Warp simple at the whim of the gods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

A chaos sorcerer would probably not enjoy being separated from the source of his powers, it could be something like losing the use of your arms or your sight for a non psyker I guess.
    If they tried to connect to the Hive Mind then they would most likely be driven insane.
    Tigurius managed to do it though, but then he has Ultra Marine Fan Boy Armour

That said, they are still a super human space marine in power armour so they are far from useless without their powers!

Faith is powerful. Absolute faith can get you through anything. Being separated from the warp could just be seen as a test to prove himself before the gods
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Oh incidentally the ingame psychic power 'Shadow of the Warp' nullifies Perils of the Warp which would suggest it is harder to summon daemons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Ah, Adahn, long time no fluff arguing!

I think the guys have mostly nailed it here. As I understood it, the Shadow of the Warp was like the sun being blocked out by a locust swarm; there are so many souls buzzing in the Warp that everything else gets shoved to the side. But as every tyranid doesn't have much sentience (even things like Hive Tyrants don't compared to humans and other sentient beings), I don't imagine their warp presence is big enough to sustain anything much if its munched on by a dæmon or used in a Chaos ritual.

So, anyone trying to listen in to the Warp (like an astropath or a sorcerer trying to commune with the chaos gods) would be bombarded with chittering, or something like it; the presence of so many small and undeveloped minds blocks things out, and I think I remember that most of the astropaths on Tyran were driven insane by the Shadow. How far this would drive a Chaos sorcerer insane is a different question though, as they've already been exposed to a LOT in the way of warp-spawned weirdness. I think that one's entirely up to you.

And following my previous logic, Chaos magic wouldn't be too effective because tapping any of the warp energy would be limited by the individual Tyranid snuffed out by the magic, and I don't think that 'nid souls would provide much in the way of energy. So psychic powers are more likely to fizzle because they can't connect to anything bigger than a AA battery to power their sorcerous car (so to speak).

Quite how far this affects the individual Word Bearer depends on them. Are they the kind to think that the temporal blessings of warp energy are the be-all-and-end-all of the chaos gods? If so, then they're likely to despair. However, if they know they're always going to be out there regardless of what gifts they bestow (or don't bestow, as the case may be), then they're unlikely to be shaken by it.

Does that all make sense?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast