A question of time - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

A question of time

I presume all planets in the Imperium use a standardised time scale based on Terra, is that correct?

So, even planets that may have a 'real' year that is several times longer than on earth, all events that may occur on that planet happen in Terran time.

e.g If a planets year lasts for 1095 days (3 years) and it is 990.M41, then that single year will cover three terran years meaning it is 993.M41 when it completes its cycle?

Am I right?

In the unlikely event that I am, are peoples ages also standardised by Terran years?
    Taking the example above, someone who is 3 years old on one planet might be considered to be 9 years old by the Imperium.

So, the point of this ramble, when chapters recruit marines and begin the implants between 12-18 years - is that 12 years Terran time, 12 years Chapter homeworld time or 12 years recruitment world time?

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I would think all the measures and stuff you see in the fluff are most likely based on Terran measurements of time; the Imperium's Administratum is a vast galaxy-spanning bureaucracy and trying to run such an organisation by anything other than a single standard would just be completely unworkable. In your example people on the 3-year planet would count 12 year olds as 4 year olds, but these 4 year olds would physically be adolescents. People who are 12 years old on the 3-year planet would have attained an adult level of physical development, so they wouldn't really be suitable for the Smurf creation process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I think it would be kinda like latin in court: there is a formal standard and what people actually use. So i think an inhabitent of the planet Zemaland might say "year 2009 Zemaland, M40.093831 standard time". I also suspect the inhabitants of said planet would almost never use the imperial standard.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Would they celebrate Terran events? For example would a Terran New Year have any meaning on Imperial Worlds - so a planet might have that same event happen many times during its own year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I wouldn't think so; the Terran standard would just be a tool of convenience that allows bureaucrats and other such people to administer the day to day workings of the Imperium more efficiently, and like the Carrot-man said, it probably means little or nothing to the inhabitants of individual planets who'd probably have their own holidays and such. I suppose there would be some Imperial holidays imposed upon them, but the Imperium doesn';t strike me as the kind of place that'd give it's hive world workers the day off to go and watch a fireworks display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

The Day of the Emperors Ascension is an Imperial wide holiday, where even hive factory workers get the day off.

One would assume that those in space craft or using external documents would all use standard terran time. And day to day stuff might use a localised version. So 3 terran years would still have passed but the working day could be broken into 15 hour cycles or whatever
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

And ofcourse the resetting of time when a ship emerges from the warp, quite some time may have passed during it's warptravel, much more than the passengers experienced.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

It would depend heavily on the planet.

Cop out answer I know but Shrine Worlds linked to imperial doctrine would almost certainly bend over backwards to use Terran standard even when it makes things hidiously complicated or pointless, while a Feral World might only have a dim understanding of Terra let alone that it has its own calander.

Imperial officials would certainly use Terran Standard but might also need localised time frames to pass on documents to the local population.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Which is why such a thing as a "check number" exists in Imperial dating.A date like "009.m3" (our current year, in the 40K reckoning) is a shortened version. The full date for today is likely to be 0009021.M3.

The first digit is a "check number", which corroborates its reliability. The closer the number to 0, the more accurate it's likely to be. A check number 0 refers to an event that happened in the Sol system (our solar system). A check number of 1 refers to an event that happened on a world in direct astrotelepathic contact with Earth. The other numbers cycle down in what I assume is "number of jumps to earth" (as they talk about the "corroboration of sources" in class numbers that match the check numbers), right down to 9, which is a speculative date based of what cross-referencing is available to the recorder at the time. It's very likely that such a date will be wildly inaccurate.

As far as the rest of it goes, the 3 digits after the check number (not separated by anything, note) is the year number (0-999, of the millenium in question) and the year fraction number. I got the year fraction number of today by taking the percentage of the year that we're through this year (day 75/365) and multiplying the result by ten. This is entirely my own way of working it out, and is a very rough rule of thumb. but it's the easiest way I can see of working something out into Imperial dating.

As to the original question, the references to the age of humans would correlate to Terran years. The space marine implants rely on the implantees being just on the cusp of puberty, and so would have to be 11-13 years old, as we understand it. There is no uber-long year that will mean that a physiologically middle-aged bloke could get implanted, because the implants wouldn't work.

And yes, there are standard festivals throughout the Imperium; I think the only two universal ones are the Feast of the Emperor's Ascension to the Golden Throne, and I think a celebration of Sanguinius. Particular worlds would have their own festivals based off local saints and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

You've got the year fraction and the year the wrong way round.

Imperial Dating System - Lexicanum

But cheers

+ Reply to Thread