Scout Seargents: Real deal? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Scout Seargents: Real deal?

    Are scout sergeants REAL FULL FLEDGED Space Marines with carapace armour? Or just really good scouts? It would make more sense if they're full space marines since they're responsible for training future space marines; but aren't their full potential being wasted since they're not wearing their full armour? I can imagine it being a pretty sucky job training the noob recruits how to hold their bolters properly and whatnot instead of kicking ass.

    Last edited by the_silencer23; March 27th, 2009 at 06:57. Reason: grammar

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    12,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    830 (x8)

    I imagine that Scout Sergeants are full Battle Brothers who have elected to remain with the Scout company to train/lead/etc. the new recruits. The stats for the Sergeants in the codex back this up; the increased strength and toughness really don't make sense unless the Marine has already had their black carapace implanted, thus making them a full fledged Space Marine.

    That's my take on it, anyway.

  4. #3
    Kut Maar Krachtig Zema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by the_silencer23 View Post
    Are scout sergeants REAL FULL FLEDGED Space Marines with carapace armour? Or just really good scouts? It would make more sense if they're full space marines since they're responsible for training future space marines; but aren't their full potential being wasted since they're not wearing their full armour?
    How is it a wasted potential? Not only are they ensuring the future of their beloved chapter, they provide an essential battelfield role: Recon! A role much valued in any period in history.

    Quote Originally Posted by the_silencer23 View Post
    I can imagine it being a pretty sucky job training the noob recruits how to hold their bolters properly and whatnot instead of kicking ass.
    Initiates who enter a scout squad will already have undergone intense training in the Monastery or someplace else during their initiation.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #4
    Adeptus Laziness Pixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

    Quote Originally Posted by the_silencer23 View Post
    I can imagine it being a pretty sucky job training the noob recruits how to hold their bolters properly and whatnot instead of kicking ass.
    Well how else are they going to learn how to hold their bolters properly and whatnot if someone that already knows how to doesn't? I don't think the Index Astartes comes with that detailed of pictures.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    [quote=Zemaphore;1401389]How is it a wasted potential? Not only are they ensuring the future of their beloved chapter, they provide an essential battelfield role: Recon! A role much valued in any period in history.

    I'm not devaluing Scouts, just saying that a Space Marine without his power armour is like playing a Blu-ray film on a SD TV. He may still be a very competent soldier but won't be able to perform to his full potential if he doesn't have access to his power armour and all its cool bells and whistles. That's how I see it anyways.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    They might be those marines who have all (or most) of the implants but the black carapace is for some reason not working. Thus they would be assigned to lead Scouts until death. I always wondered what happened to those guys. In BFG it is said they man the Astartes Cruisers and Barges.

  8. #7
    Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzar_Katztic View Post
    I always wondered what happened to those guys. In BFG it is said they man the Astartes Cruisers and Barges.
    That's probably where they go, then.


    Scout sergeants would be honoured to be selected. You don't choose average joes to train the next wave of recruits. The best to train the best!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

  9. #8
    Adeptus Laziness Pixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

    Futhermore, the Space Marines don't fight because they want to (well, I imagine quite a few chapters would, but anyways), but rather because they have to. I'm sure after a few hundred years of service even one of the Astartes would feel war weary and would crave relaxation by shedding his power and walking in the trees, peacefully pointing out the new recruits which nid they should be aiming at.

    Well, wait, that doesn't sound all that peaceful at all. (As for why they'd want to wear caraspace, well, that's already been mentioned in the codex. Tank armour isn't really all that stealthy... not unless you put batwings on the helmet. In which case they stealthily hover with their flapping miniwings.)

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    14 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Futhermore, the Space Marines don't fight because they want to (well, I imagine quite a few chapters would, but anyways), but rather because they have to. I'm sure after a few hundred years of service even one of the Astartes would feel war weary and would crave relaxation by shedding his power and walking in the trees, peacefully pointing out the new recruits which nid they should be aiming at.

    Well, wait, that doesn't sound all that peaceful at all. (As for why they'd want to wear caraspace, well, that's already been mentioned in the codex. Tank armour isn't really all that stealthy... not unless you put batwings on the helmet. In which case they stealthily hover with their flapping miniwings.)
    Not at all peaceful. But it is a universe without respite nor fogiveness. What did the terran nobility do when they did not wage war? They hunted game. I guess that Marines do relaxation similarily - you find a nice peaceful civilization that does not want to obey the Emperor. They are weak and vulnerable because they are all pacifists. Attack them and hunt them, because it is easy and fun. And because you simply can do it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts