Dark Eldar Raids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Dark Eldar Raids

Hey guys, quick question - seeing as I've reached the 200 page checkpoint in my story (fingers crossed 'novel' someday), I need some info on the Dark Eldar. As far as I've seen there's no definite novel out there that gives an extensive account on Dark Eldar society. Aside from the Codex (which I still have to get), I'd like to know about their raids.

To throw a few specific questions out there, first I have..

1. Their raids are to capture slaves on the most part, fair enough, while I know it's for their souls, could I get a more detailed answer as to what they do with those souls and how they extract them and whatnot? Do they have a specific method and are some souls more valuable than others?

2. Is that the only thing they're interested in? Do they value materials, resources, such as gemstones, special ore deposits and so on?

3. Is raiding their only source of sustenance and income? What of Commoragh and it's infrastructure?

The reason why I ask this, to not ruin the plot and keep it simple, is because I'm planning to have a mecenary cabal of Dark Eldar infiltrate a human settlement, a den of corruption, and set up a puppet within said human organization to use as a 'front' while they suck out the human's resources to sell back in Commoragh. Especially making deals with the more powerful groups in the Dark Eldar city who wish to expand their reach beyond the city's limits. They would deal in everything, including human trafficking, but that's why I need to know whether or not they value anything else.

And last but not least, is it plausible? Would a particularly intelligent, pragmatic and flexibly-minded Archon be able to put such a plan in motion?

The Ancient Powers of Chaos, go where they please...
    Dusk Phantoms - Chaos Space Marine Fluff!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Definately sounds like an interesting story idea, nice to hear that there is a new story out there that isn't about Marines or Guardsmen or inquisitors.

One piece of advice I`d give is to read the first novel in the Ultramarines series, it deals a lot with a Dark Eldar cabal and a scheming Archon, who collaborates with a human guild leader for his own gains. So yes, the story is plausible.

As for your questions:

1. What they do with the souls is replenish their own. Because their's are constantly being leeched by Slaanesh, they consume the souls of others to replace what is taken. It has the side-effect of making them functionally immortal, but not in a healing sort of way, merely a prolonging way.

As for how, the only info on that is that Asdrubael Vect claims to have invented it when he founded Commoragh, so he may be lying in both cases. Whoever the inventer, you can probably assume that its a painful process.

2. I doubt that they value natural resources like gems or precious ores. They don't use wraithbone to make their buildings and vehicles like other Eldar, (because they don't use psychic powers, which is how wraithbone is shaped), but they also don't use most of the same materials as humans.

As for precious stones, I'd say no. Outside of technical uses (say, rubies for focusing lasers) gems have only aesthetic value, and the Dark Eldar only look for physical sensations to enjoy, not visual.

They are interested in slaves though, they use a lot of slaves, as both workers and playthings. And new drugs or drug ingredients would be in demand.

3. Cormorragh's infrastructure. I don't think that a city that runs on anarchy can have an established infrastructure. Remember, this is a place where people kill at random, you advance by assassination, and the strong rule. Imagine if street gangs took over a modern city.

Closest thing you might get to infrastructure is appealing to specific interests of different groups: slaves/toys for haemmonculi (i spelt that wrong), opponents and combat drugs for the wych cults, and souls for the kabals.

Hopefully these answers/suggestions have helped some. If you ever need a proof-reader/sounding board for ideas send me a PM, your story sounds like a good one!
    Last edited by Marius the Possessed; April 13th, 2009 at 12:03.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Its worth noting though, that the moment (or possibly before) their human puppet ceases to be useful, they'll take him as a slave. Dark Eldar are as capricious and malicious as its possible to be without being a direct servant of chaos, and they're worse than some there. Imperial Nobles (or anyone else) who decide to use them as mercenaries or servants learn the hard way that evil is not a toy. Vengance is also a time-honored Dark Eldar tradition.

Other than that, Marius basically covered everything I know about Dark Eldar

(Incidentally, if you've read anything about Menzoberranzan (or any other Drow cities), think that, but turned way up on the evil and chaotic scales)
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

@ Stradius, Indeed I know a lot about Drow from reading Bob Salvatore's novels, and I've read nearly all the Abnet's Darkblade series as well. And trust me when I say I've taken inspiration from both.

@ Marius - What can I say, that was exactly the type of detailed answer I was looking for. And sure I'd love to send you a copy of my story thus far, or perhaps when I get it a bit more complete or start touching on the Dark Eldar. Can you give me the name of that first Ultramarine novel so I can order it from Amazon? The sooner I get my hands on it and devour it, the sooner I'll be able to get an even better idea on how to write DE.

If there's one thing I do prize myself for being able to do, is getting the most info possible before diving into a project, I want to make sure that I don't break any cannon, and that I have enough info to back up anything outlandish that I might create on my own too.

As for what you said regarding the stories, I feel the same way, everyone (including myself) writes about Space Marines, Imperial Guardsmen, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and the occasional Tau and Eldar, but rarely does anyone truly delve into the nitty-gritty that is Dark Eldar lifestyle. I'm really glad you mentioned that Ultramarine novel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hentai_Tau View Post
    da fug?! ya sheltered or something homes?
    Yes, we are sheltered by the Forum Rules, which I'm sure declare sexually explicit comments as unsuitable discussion material.

Quote Originally Posted by Hentai_Tau View Post
    The fluff clearly say the dark eldar are into deviant and depraved things!!!
    I challenge you to quote the page numbers where sexual acts are mentioned in any of the Codex books.

Deviance/depravity does not automatically equate to sex. It can be any number of things, such as torture.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

The novel is called 'Nightbringer' by Graham Macneill. It's a good read, really shows you how the Dark Eldar manipulate and use their temporary allies/puppets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x2)

Thought I'd give you my take/fill in some blanks.

1. Their raids are to capture slaves on the most part, fair enough, while I know it's for their souls, could I get a more detailed answer as to what they do with those souls and how they extract them and whatnot? Do they have a specific method and are some souls more valuable than others?

The method they use is unknown, but it is often mentioned that souls from tortured victims have a better "flavor" hence the dark eldar obsession for torture and the great influence that Haemonculi weild within the Kabals.

2. Is that the only thing they're interested in? Do they value materials, resources, such as gemstones, special ore deposits and so on?

There have been some mentions of them stealing resources along with the crews/inhabitants from the convoys/worlds they attack. While other times they take the people and leave everything else behing.

3. Is raiding their only source of sustenance and income? What of Commoragh and it's infrastructure?

Raiding is what feeds the economy, however a massive infastructure has to exist despite the chaos to keep the machine moving. Ship builders, weapon manufactorers, a thriving drug trade, gambling on jetbike/hellion races and the wyche gladiator combats are just of the few goings on.

I tend to see the kabals in comorragh as large schools of predatory fish moving around the same pond. As long as the fish stay in the school and the small schools stay away from the larger ones everything works out. Another great analog would be to the aforemention drow. The kabals seem to function within the same ordered chaos as the Houses of the Underdark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

@ Marius - Alright thanks Marius, just ordered it off Amazon, should be here within three days or so.

@Gardeth: Thanks for those extra specifications, the fact that they could go for more than just slaves (while keeping slaves their highest priority) gives me a bit of wiggle-room within the story. As for what you mentioned about the infrastructure, that made sense to me. You mentioned Menzo, but there's also a description by Dan Abnett in Daemon's Curse where he mentions Hag Graef's industry and whatnot.

Also I suppose there's a general concensus that Dark Elves/Druchi/ Drow function through 'House'-like structures of power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The raids aren't just for people I remember reading in a report the Dark Eldar used captured ships for resources as well as attacking agri worlds for food. I find it helps to think of them as indians from the frontier period in terms of motivation and method. As for shelter the webway is supposed to be psychic construct. Perhaps new rooms are thought into existence?
    We stand at the gates of sacrifice ever ready to go through.What do we want? To die only once our goal is complete! What do we ask? That we may only serve!Who are you?We are the Last Remnants,the unfettered soldiers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by insideprawn View Post
    I find it helps to think of them as indians from the frontier period in terms of motivation and method.
    Native Americans = Dark Eldar???????

I hardly think that many of the Native American peoples were sadistic marauders. Well, maybe if you get your history from John Wayne movies...
    I can agree with you on method (hit&run), but there's no possible way to believe in any similar motivations.

Maybe you should think more along the lines of Vikings, and other cultures that relied more heavily on raiding.
    Last edited by psichotykwyrm; April 13th, 2009 at 22:07.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast