How exactly does the Inquisition work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

How exactly does the Inquisition work?

This might seem like a simple question, but how does the Inquisition work (you'll have to forgive the obvious repeated spelling mistake, the q key on my keyboard is being a little glitchy)? Because there seem to be two conflicting accounts, in current fluff.

In the Inquisitor game, inquisitors are fiercely independent and involved in their work, trusting only a very few select henchmen to work with them, and then with the inquisitor close at hand. Inuisitors are rare individuals, and there are far too few of them to get their job done. They are also only likely to form conclaves when needed, and then only for the time of the crisis

In Dark Heresy however, it's a somewhat different picture. inuisitors are painted as puppetmasters in a web of projects, only getting involved in actual Inuisitorial work when they need to, spending the rest of their time in the great senate-like talking shop that is the Calixian Conclave, which apparently has a constantly occupied building (known as an Inuisitorial building) as its headquarters. They also seem to be two a penny in the Calixis sector, with seemingly dozens of inuisitors operative in this one sector alone.

Am I being thick, or are these wo models mutually incompatible? One model portrays the Inuisition as a relatively small group of heroic individuals doing what they can in a galaxy of evil, while the other portrays them as semi-bureacratic plotters who have their own schemes and ideas of what should happen in their small corner of the galaxy, with little concern elsewhere.

Any comments/suggestions as to how these are meant to be reconciled are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Are they heroic/evil individuals or puppet masters. The answer is they are both. The Inquisition is only unified in wanting to protect the Imperium. How they protect it varies hugely. Some Inquisitors are more or less very evil or religeous fanatics. Some are open minded, as open minded as people in the Imperium can be. How they work is up to them. There aren't huge amounts of Inquisitors compared to the size of the Imperium. When they go out into the galaxy to work they do so in many different ways. They may lead an army of millions or work alone and undercover. The Inquistion is also very secretive. This means that it hides much knowledge about itself. Learning it's full structure would be near impossible.
    Last edited by Leech; April 14th, 2009 at 00:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my understanding is that they are sleeper cells that are given orders by teh adminstratum to research, hunt, interrogate or destroy. Mostly the active ones are doing quests out of personnel gain
    "I know why dont we have wild lesbian sex infront of your boyfriend *evil giggle*" - IDEAS:There are good ideas, bad ideas and ground breaking ideas....and my friends this is a ground breaking idea

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

I like the Inquisitor description better, as it seems to follow fluff more accurately. However, I'd assume Inquisitor Lords might more approach the latter description, involved in a range of investigations with a wide web of associates. Many of whom might not even realize they're working for the big =I=. I wouldn't say any sort of permanent conclave building would be always going, if it even existed. However, things will vary sector to sector. Perhaps Calixis is just a little more crowded with the eyes and ears of the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

isn't the calixis sector quite close to the eye? If so then there will be a lot of heretic, daemon and xeno activity (especially eldar) to warrant a large =I= presence.

I understand Inquisitors to work both ways you mention. The Eisenhorn (and Ravenor I think) novels have the main man and his bunch of helpers going about their business, but when something big is about to happen they all meet up and chat about it, fall out, ignore orders and generally cheese each other off. On the whole I don't think an Inquisitor really wants to be around other Inquisitors if he can help it - whilst their organisation marries well enough, individual opinion rarely does.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    On the whole I don't think an Inquisitor really wants to be around other Inquisitors if he can help it - whilst their organisation marries well enough, individual opinion rarely does.
    Which is fair enough. Then why on earth the sanctioned, permanent conclave of Calixis? It might well be that the guys at Black Industries were smoking something when they dreamt the setting up, but I doubt it.

And yes, Calixis is reasonably close to the Eye of Terror, to the galactic "north-west"; it's almost bordering the Halo (or are they the Ghost) Stars, truth be told. So that sort of makes sense. But then you'd expect that kind of presence almost everywhere in the Segmentum Obscura, given the distance between Calixis and the Eye. But it's just not the case.

I may be being a stick in the mud here, but I'm not sure I can see the two visions being reconciled, even with extra EoT nasties near Calixis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Well even if there are tens of thousands of Inquisitors running around in the galaxy, they would still only be a extremely tiny percentage of all the people in the Imperium. A sector compromises hundreds of stars, worlds and many, many billions of people. Even if there are over a dozen Inquisitors it would still be way to few.
    Remember that everything in the Imperium is unbelievably gigantic and vast. Every organisation, no matter how secret and shadowy it is, will employ a mind-boggling amount of people. Thus, how the organisation will work in different places will vary enormously.

It is not implausible to think that the Calixis sector is a rather unique example when it comes to the organisation of the Inquisition, what with the belief in the prophecy of the Tyrant Star and their rather frantic chase after what it could bring.

That does not mean all Inquisitors are active in the conclave. Inquisitors are often fiercely independent and there are probably a few "lone wolves" running around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to be fair, there are a number of Inquisitorial fortresses and the like that Inquisitor Generals and Lord Inquisitors work out of, on a more or less permanent basis. Many field Inquisitors prefer to work alone for a number of reasons, including the clashing of opinions, but there are other larger gatherings and conclaves of Inquisitors scattered about where a number of Inquisitors will work out of an essentially permanent base of operations, individuals moving to a personal base if the situation really calls for it. As has been said, it could also be that Calixis is unique in the way it's Inquisition runs. There are general rules and a structure to the way Inquisitors work, but like everything in the Imperium it's subject to the differences such a wide stretch of space experiences, and in an organization like the Inquisition, with such a wide array of differing styles, philosophies and Ordos, as well as the Inquisitions ability to be more or less as faithful or as lax in their interpretation of the rules as they feel like as long as they can justify it.
    "A souls screams are merely their cries of thanks to the Chaos
    Gods!" -Brigand

"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away!" -Abbadon The Despoiler

The Kroot: You are what you eat.
    Tyranids: YOU are what WE eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

I always thought about the Inquisition as an army:

- the high rank officers (Inquisitor lords) has their own "chatroom" where they make decisions, like exterminatus or not exterminatus, new plans: crusade or not crusade etc.
    - the middle rank officers (Inquisitors) get the order and try to do it within their own territory (it can be an other conclave, like a command squad in a regiment (I mean real army, like British, US, any) they make decisions, and order the field officers, that is like Eisenhorn or Draco to do their duty
    - Low rank officers (field operatives) collect henchmen if necessary, army if needed to do what they got to do, and I think they also do sidequests by their own initiative (like a lieutenant when searches for enemy and finds a mine filed, will do wathever he can to save his brethren from the minefield, and then goes forward to his mission)

That`s what I think.

---------- Post added at 171 ---------- Previous post was at 170 ----------

Multi Level Marketing???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Funny how Inquisitors are all mega-hardy swashbuckling bad-boys in the fluff, yet in game-terms they're useless point sinks that fail it in all respects whose only redeeming quality is that they allow you to field a plasma cannon in a Sisters list. Trying to imagine Gregor Eisenhorn as a S3 Ld8 model feels weird to me >_<

I don't see why those two models of working couldn't coexist. I see individual Inquisitors as detectives, and the Inquisition as a whole as a galaxy-spanning police department of sorts. They have a job to do and each individual will have their own philosophies and methods that they work with; some go by the book, others are more unorthodox, some ultra-orthodox. It's a big galaxy and there are a lot of Inquisitors in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast