A bunch of questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

A bunch of questions

There have been quite a few niggling little questions about the 40k universe that I have looked high and low (mostly in the lexicanum) to find answers. So, I turn to you: LO fluff people!

1: To what extent can a space marine remove his armor? not at all? down to the black carapace?

2: Can an ork in mega armor take it off? If so, To what extent?

3: What is the purpose of an IG army having a commisar on the feild? Motivators? Feild executions for those who desert? Looking cool in their sporty trenchcoats?

4: What's life like for the average imperial civilian? Is there such a thing? Can you explain from the perspective of someone living in the macragge system, terra, cadia, and kreig?

5: What's life like for the average ork boy during "peace" time? Grots? Warbosses/nobz/meks/weirdboyz?

6: What size ork WAAAGH! could take terra? armageddon times 3? more? less?

7: What's life like for the average space marine/guardsmen/battle sister/grey knight during wartime (IE at the battlefeild, sorta like the show M*A*S*H?)

8: How many normal humans would it take to kill a space marine in unarmed combat? If the space marine had weapons? If both sides were armed?

9: Fluffily, How tall is ghazghkull?

10: Nurgle makes plaguebearers with nurgles rot, the diesese. Do any of the other chaos gods use similar "recruitment" tactics?

11: If not, How exactly are daemons formed? How were the gods formed?

12: Is the webway at all similar to the astronomicon? (if I'm completely off, I was under the impression that the astronomicon was how the imperials traveled around the galaxy)

13: How's the grub? Orks? Imperial civilians? Guardsmen? Space marines? Eldar? Tau?

14: What is the dark angels' Inner Circle all about?

15: How are guardsmen/space marines/grey knights/sisters of battle selected/recruited and trained?
    That is all! Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hemogoblin; April 20th, 2009 at 04:02.
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos877 View Post
    1: To what extent can a space marine remove his armor? not at all? down to the black carapace?
    pretty sure Space Marines can fully remove their armour, Salamanders(for example) make many modifications to their weapons and armour(great blacksmiths or whatever) and although they are pretty tough, i doubt they can weld stuff while it's attached to them

same again really, armour is armour. it is made to be taken on and off. Having said that, im not sure about orky killa cans the old codex said that live orks were strapped into them yet im sure even orks have tiolet needs

3: What is the purpose of an IG army having a commisar on the feild? Motivators? Feild executions for those who desert? Looking cool in their sporty trenchcoats?
    i always pictured them as having more expeirence than regular guard helping with strategies and motivation.. but im no guard expert

4: What's life like for the average imperial civilian? Is there such a thing? Can you explain from the perspective of someone living in the macragge system, terra, cadia, and kreig?
    i cant tell you about the average imperial civilian, as i read somewhere that a few human inhabited planets dont even know of the emperor, space marines or chaos around them! but i guess life would be kinda.. hard. like a permanent rescesion. and the best way of making ends meet is to join the guard, become a doctor etc.

5: What's life like for the average ork boy during "peace" time? Grots? Warbosses/nobz/meks/weirdboyz?
    no idea sorry

i (personally) doubt that it is possible for an ork WAAGH! to take down terra as all the ultramarines and most of their countless founded chapters would all come and help kick some orky but. its just blatently impossible

7: What's life like for the average space marine/guardsmen/battle sister/grey knight during wartime (IE at the battlefeild, sorta like the show M*A*S*H?)
    again, no idea sorry

8: How many normal humans would it take to kill a space marine in unarmed combat? If the space marine had weapons? If both sides were armed?
    'give me 100 space marines or, in failure of that, 1000 guardsmen' = 1space marine for every 100 people

well. according to my old codex, a regular ork boy is 2m tall, a nob is 2.5 meters tall and a warboss is 3. so my guess is somewhere around 3.5 meters tall (for his exceptional age and experience)

10: Nurgle makes plaguebearers with nurgles rot, the diesese. Do any of the other chaos gods use similar "recruitment" tactics?
    if i get what you mean (i dont think i do, but anyways) the answer is MAYBE.. Iron warriors make havocs by growing humans like cattle and sheering their skin then using their knowledge of technology and cloning to do something..or something.. thats probably completely wrong, but i did read it somewhere.

chaos gods were formed through emotions felt throughout the universe (most from the wars between the old ones and the necrons) slaneesh being the youngest, being born from the eldar being too lazy+horny. so i assume that all the emotion and hate flying around in the warp also created lesser daemons.

12: Is the webway at all similar to the astronomicon? (if I'm completely off, I was under the impression that the astronomicon was how the imperials traveled around the galaxy)
    13: How's the grub? Orks? Imperial civilians? Guardsmen? Space marines? Eldar? Tau?
    don't understand this question..?

basically some drak angels turned on the other dark angels when one guy was jealous of the primach. no one knows of this trechery except the dark angels and the inner circle is bent around finding and 'redeeming'(killing) those angels that fell to chaos.. hence fallen angels.

15: How are guardsmen/space marines/grey knights/sisters of battle selected/recruited and trained?
    guard- many different ways for many different groups. some, when war is inevitable call upon men from young ages to quickly join the fight, and recieve very little training.
    others send their first born children to their planets defence force who spend an entire life learning the tricks of the trade, etc.

space marines go through a bunch of trials (many involving death-defying stunts) to find the fittest/most talented kids.. then the whole gene seed process begins.

not sure about sister or grey knights, but i think they go to this school..(i know right?) and get taught how to be a warrior before (for grey knights atleast) they are implanted with the gene seed.

will watch this thread carefully to see others answers, i found a lot of those questions challenging and eye opening! sorry i couldnt help more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Think of the astronomican as a light house, or a beacon. Astropaths who guide Imperial ships use this as a point of reference. You could also liken the astropaths to a compass, who can always locate a certain direction, and therefore orient themselves accordingly.

As far as I understand the web-way, this is like a highway system with tunnels and exits in various places and of various sizes. Imperial ships sail the warp, it's a free ocean like piloting, whereas the webway basically just shoots you right where the exit is.

Grey Knights are recruited from the most savage worlds the Imperium has under it's control. They are tested again and again to show themselves worthy of training to become a Grey Knight, where they will undergo 666 different trials, eventually becoming Grey Knights. For typical Space Marines recruiting, many worlds hold challenges where young aspirants can go to test themselves in front of recruiting Marine visitors. Largely it depends upon the chapter and the world they recruit from.

During peacetime, Marines usually complete lots of training exercises, maintain and clean their equipment, and also pray and offer other kinds of worship to the Emperor. They also sleep, though this is for a very short amount of time per day, if memory serves about two hours is more than what they really need.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by hotspike18; April 20th, 2009 at 16:38.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by alexandersalamander View Post
    don't understand this question..?
    Should have worded that as "how's the food?"
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

There have been quite a few niggling little questions about the 40k universe that I have looked high and low (mostly in the lexicanum) to find answers. So, I turn to you: LO fluff people!

I beleive that they can remove their armour up until the carapace as this was how the main character of the Grey Knight serries (forgot his name) was armoured when walking around the GK fortress monastary.

That would depend on the specific mega armour. If it was designed as removable armour it would cost more teef (bad moons clan should have more armour like this). Most likely i beleive it is wired intothem and they may be able to take parts of it off but it would be more connected to them.

Motivation. If you run you get shot, the commissars are there to make sure people don't run. Now if you shoot a commissar you're really screwed so it's either fight the enemy of fight the enemy and your allies.

Think of one specific aspect of a persons life, normally the one revolvingmost directly around their job. Now this is all they do, if they are from an agri world they will work on their fasms with the machinary, if they live on a hive world it's like city life. Only with billions of people in the city, and nobody that isn't nearly crucial to the hive, imperium, or just plain rich has private transportation.

Running around camp fighting amongst eacother. Kicking around orks smaller than themselves. Making sure that everyone knows you're bigger and stronger if you're a nob or warboss, finding scrap metal and a burna if you're a mek, torturing small native animals and other grots while avoiding orks if you're a grot. And The weirdboy is kinda like the guy with no friends that hangs around other groups but without getting too close.
    Terra is huge, with a LEGION of the best trained space marines ever defending it. 5 of the 6 assassin temples, the greatest forge world in the imperium just on mars. The grey knight just over on saturn. Then there's the constant flow of citisans guard regiments and everything visiting the emperor every day. The imperial palace is the greatest fortification ever built by man, likely with the most orbital defences, and after the Heresy there have to be a ton of ships guarding Terra. Then all of the imperial armies that would come to terra if it was ever attacked.
    I'd say ghaskull would need to unite just about every ork in the galaxy to crack terra.
    I'll try to answer the rest later.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Many examples of Marines going down to the carapace. According to the Heresy novels, they spend most of their time when not in combat or ceremony in robes and stuff.

I wouldn't think so, Ork teck ain't very versatile like that, I'm sure they're wired in or fused to the mega armour. They are Orks, they're tough enough to handle it.

Motivation and front line morale. According to the Ciaphas Cain series, most scare the pants off their men and die in strange 'accidents'.

Terra is a mass of bureacrats and priests and pilgrims. Cadia is military central, so very regimentalised, curfew, etc. Macragge is supposed to be very ordered, where everyone knows their place and fufills their work quotas, artworks, etc. Still supposed to be close to paradise though, think happy successful communists. Krieg is a nuclear wasteland, I'm guessing not fun, same with Catachan but in a leafy green jungle setting. So not good for the vast majority, unless you are rich or noble.

Lots of infighting. Lots of fungus beer. Lots of brawling.

Much more. Outside the Eye of Terror, Terra is the most heavily defended place in the galaxy. So at least Armageddon x10, if not more, because the Imperium would throw everything it had to stop them, and they have a lot.

Marines live mainly in battle, and pray and train in peace. So for them normal. Guardsmen are probably like our military men's experience, and sisters and grey knights are the same as Marines.

Power Armour is virtually impenetrable to lasguns, so hand to hand, probably better than 100 to 1. Armed, around 100 to 1. Remember, a Space Marine chapter has 1000 Marines, but can, in fluff, take on multiple Guard regiments, which are roughly 3000 men each.

He's the biggest Ork (according to Dawn of War: Winter Assault), so I'd guess at least 4 metres tall.

No, not directly. Nurgle makes plaguebearers by leeching the soul of a victim of the Rot, and when said victim dies, a new bearer is formed. Closest you can get to that is a god making a mortal a daemon prince or spawn, or you have the case of the furies, which are the souls of followers of Chaos who keep switching their allegiance between the gods.

Gods were formed by generations and millennia of emotions from psychically tuned races. All other daemons, both greater and lesser, are either human souls (Princes and furies), or are portions of a god's essence that he has seperated and given sentience too. He can also absorb it back at any time, which is why they are loyal.

No. The webway is a secure type of tunnel system through the warp, which the Eldar use to almost walk through the warp from place to place, unharmed. The Astronomicon is a giant psychic beacon created by killing psykers in a special way on Terra, and the Emperor focuses it. It's used like a lighthouse or landmark for ships in the warp, so they know where the hell they are and can use it as a reference point.

If you're rich, good. If not, sucks. If Ork, fungus and sentient meat based. Don't know about Tau or Space Marines, but in one of the Heresy books Eldrad says he's a vegetarian. And Tyranids eat it all.

It's the Captains, Chapter Masters (not just of the DA, but also of their successor chapters), and highest ranking Librarians and Chaplains. They all know of the Fallen, and the fact that Luthor, the first and greatest of the Fallen, is imprisoned in the deepest part of the Rock, the DA floating Fortress Monastery.

Depends, Guards are drafted/volunteer, marines recruit from tough SOB's on their home worlds, grey knights find strong psykers and brainwash them, sisters are recruited from Imperial orphanages, the Scholas Progenium. Commissars and storm troopers also come from the Scholas.

Damn, I really DO read all the codexes too much, haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    Many examples of Marines going down to the carapace. According to the Heresy novels, they spend most of their time when not in combat or ceremony in robes and stuff.

I wouldn't think so, Ork teck ain't very versatile like that, I'm sure they're wired in or fused to the mega armour. They are Orks, they're tough enough to handle it.

Motivation and front line morale. According to the Ciaphas Cain series, most scare the pants off their men and die in strange 'accidents'.

Terra is a mass of bureacrats and priests and pilgrims. Cadia is military central, so very regimentalised, curfew, etc. Macragge is supposed to be very ordered, where everyone knows their place and fufills their work quotas, artworks, etc. Still supposed to be close to paradise though, think happy successful communists. Krieg is a nuclear wasteland, I'm guessing not fun, same with Catachan but in a leafy green jungle setting. So not good for the vast majority, unless you are rich or noble.

Lots of infighting. Lots of fungus beer. Lots of brawling.

Much more. Outside the Eye of Terror, Terra is the most heavily defended place in the galaxy. So at least Armageddon x10, if not more, because the Imperium would throw everything it had to stop them, and they have a lot.

Marines live mainly in battle, and pray and train in peace. So for them normal. Guardsmen are probably like our military men's experience, and sisters and grey knights are the same as Marines.

Power Armour is virtually impenetrable to lasguns, so hand to hand, probably better than 100 to 1. Armed, around 100 to 1. Remember, a Space Marine chapter has 1000 Marines, but can, in fluff, take on multiple Guard regiments, which are roughly 3000 men each.

He's the biggest Ork (according to Dawn of War: Winter Assault), so I'd guess at least 4 metres tall.

No, not directly. Nurgle makes plaguebearers by leeching the soul of a victim of the Rot, and when said victim dies, a new bearer is formed. Closest you can get to that is a god making a mortal a daemon prince or spawn, or you have the case of the furies, which are the souls of followers of Chaos who keep switching their allegiance between the gods.

Gods were formed by generations and millennia of emotions from psychically tuned races. All other daemons, both greater and lesser, are either human souls (Princes and furies), or are portions of a god's essence that he has seperated and given sentience too. He can also absorb it back at any time, which is why they are loyal.

No. The webway is a secure type of tunnel system through the warp, which the Eldar use to almost walk through the warp from place to place, unharmed. The Astronomicon is a giant psychic beacon created by killing psykers in a special way on Terra, and the Emperor focuses it. It's used like a lighthouse or landmark for ships in the warp, so they know where the hell they are and can use it as a reference point.

If you're rich, good. If not, sucks. If Ork, fungus and sentient meat based. Don't know about Tau or Space Marines, but in one of the Heresy books Eldrad says he's a vegetarian. And Tyranids eat it all.

It's the Captains, Chapter Masters (not just of the DA, but also of their successor chapters), and highest ranking Librarians and Chaplains. They all know of the Fallen, and the fact that Luthor, the first and greatest of the Fallen, is imprisoned in the deepest part of the Rock, the DA floating Fortress Monastery.

Depends, Guards are drafted/volunteer, marines recruit from tough SOB's on their home worlds, grey knights find strong psykers and brainwash them, sisters are recruited from Imperial orphanages, the Scholas Progenium. Commissars and storm troopers also come from the Scholas.

Damn, I really DO read all the codexes too much, haha.
    Pretty much wat I was going to say, only half as long.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x3)

Thanks to all. Another round of rep, on me!
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142 (x5)

Pretty much what most people have said here, but with a slightly more religious bent to it. They're schooled in the Scholasta Psychanna (or however it's spelt), which is heavily based around reverence for the god-emperor. They are there to support the guardsmen's faith as much as anything else.

Varies hugely from world to world, but generally very static. The Imperium is basically galactic feudalism, and so people are taught their place and to stay in it. Very few move around, or between "stations", and most jobs are hereditary. But bear in mind that the Imperium contains worlds that are anywhere between Stone Age technologywise and the mechanical wonders of the Forge Worlds. There's a LOT of variation.

The others have the actual dimensions about right, but you need to take into account the fact that orks are mostly hunched over. While the average boy is about 2 metres tall, most are only just taller than humans, given the way they stand.

Astronomican = lighthouse in the Warp, ships travel freely around the currents and tides of Warp energy and use the Astronomican as a reference point.
    Webway = Channel Tunnel in the Warp, sealed off from it completely but allowing travel across its distances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Pretty much what most people have said here, but with a slightly more religious bent to it. They're schooled in the Scholasta Psychanna (or however it's spelt), which is heavily based around reverence for the god-emperor. They are there to support the guardsmen's faith as much as anything else.
    I think you mean that Commissars are trained/raised in the Scholam Progenium. The Scholastica Psykana is an academy/guild (flavor depends on Sector) for sanctioned psykers.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast