What do you know about the Black Library - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you know about the Black Library

My request: Post anything here that you know about the Black Library so that I can create some convincing fluff for my army.

I've just started an Eldar force and I really like the fluff in the codex about the Black Library. I'm strongly thinking of making an army of "Black Librarians".

The trouble I'm having is that I don't know what fluff already exists outside the Eldar Codex. It's dreadfully hard to search because of Black Library Publishing. I want to have solid fluff that doesn't conflict with cannon.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last fluff of any type that I've read outside of the codex that had info. about it was The Inquisition War Trilogy by Ian Watson. An Inquisitor and his retinue break into the Webway and gain access to it by figuring out the proper path through the Webway.

I don't know that you can find copies of it any longer, but a year or 2 ago they reprinted it as an omnibus. Good series of books, well written.
    "They are my space marines and they shall know no fear, for they are fear incarnate." ~ Konrad Curze (Night Haunter), Primarch of the Night Lords Legion

"Adeo mori servus Imperator Fictus
    Ave Dominus Nox" (So die the slaves of the False Emperor. Hail to the Lord of the Night.) ~ Talonmaster Zso Sahaal [Lord of the Night, p.68]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Only comment I'll make on the Inquisition War series is that the majority of those on LO who've read it have decidedly negative opinions on it.

As for your army, you'd have to fit as many Harlequins in it as you can. They live in the Webway and guard the Black Library. So I'd go with an Autarch, a couple of Guardian Squads, and pad the rest out with the different types of Harlequins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I've come up with so far for colours and army construction:

Basic colours are red, black and wraithbone. Red base colour, black armour plates and wraithbone weapons and faceplates. Purple spirit stones. They have freehand patterns in red and black in the style of tribal tattoos on their armour.

The Army would Be harlequin Heavy as they are the only unit actually mentioned in the literature.

I feel like the Gates to the Black library need eternal guardians like Wraithlords and Wraithguard.

HQ would probably be the most learned of the Eldar with the most control over their psyches, so probably farseer and seer council.

I would want a Solitaire as an HQ, except there are no current rules for that. I suppose I could make an Autarch a solitaire In name and design.

I feel like an avatar of Khaine isn't appropriate as the fluff implies that the library was created by the laughing god and that the two gods might not get on all that well.

Thoughts and opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

The Black Library is basically a self-contained craftworld that exists inside the Webway. It's guarded both by the Harlequins and some other mysterious entities that haven't really been expanded upon. Basically the books contain the sum total of the Eldar's knowledge about the nature of Chaos. A select few Inquisitors from the Ordo Malleus have been allowed inside, including Inquisitor Czevak. Also, yes, Jaq Draco managed to break in and steal a copy of the Book of Rhana Dhandra, but that was in the Inquisition War Trilogy and it is a bit...yeah. Let's just say THE EMPEROR SPEAKING IN CAPITAL LETTERS is the least ridiculous thing that goes on in that series. The less said about it, the better.

So, the Book of the Rhana Dhandra contains a prophecy about the final battle against Chaos where the Eldar will ultimately die out but the forces of Chaos (or at least Slaanesh) will be stopped forever. The old Index Astartes books say that there's a copy of the Book of Magnus and (possibly) the Book of Lorgar in the Black Library. The latter is a one of the most holy religious texts of Chaos, the former is the biggest single collection of sorcerous knowledge in the 40k universe.

That's all I know. If you want to make an army of the Black Library's guardians, I'd probably recommend Harlequins, Wraithguard (to represent the mysterious 'others') and Warp Spiders because their fluff fits very well with the theme of the army. The rest is entirely up to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the imput.

Another question: Does anyone know of any illustrations or descriptions of the Laughing God?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

The only Eldar god ever depicted in picture form is Khaine, so no pics of Cegorach. He is only described as being too fast and subtle to be caught.

And I'd agree that the Avatar is unfluffy for the army. And if you want to go all out, remove the spirit stones from your army, as Black Library guys don't use them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call on the spirit stones. I think I'll keep them, however. I'm sort of treating them as power supplies instead of spirit stones, though. The models are covered in gems, even weapons platforms which I'm pretty sure don't need them, so I don't think this is too much of a stretch.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellouny View Post
    ...The Inquisition War Trilogy by Ian Watson... Good series of books, well written.
    Seriously?... I've got a copy of the omnibus, I will pay you to take it away from my house and burn it before it taints my other books with it's fail.

As for fluff, you can't go wrong with Lexicanum: Black Library of Chaos - Lexicanum

+ Reply to Thread