Space Marine Hair... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Space Marine Hair...

Can I get this moved to the 40k Fluff section? My bad, lack of attention to detail on my part.

I know in today's military there are restrictions on hair, but what about Space Marines? I'd assume that each Chapter probably regulates that themselves (Space Wolves and thier manes)

Maybe raging mohawks? I think it would be pretty cool.

Or take it farther: Eldar hair? Ork hair? Do Necrons trim that frayed five o'clock wire?

Thoughts?

Can I get this moved to the 40k Fluff section? My bad, lack of attention to detail on my part.

Last edited by DFA 2008; May 16th, 2009 at 22:40. Reason: Wrong thread.

I am that i am not.
    "You sick tentacle fetishist puppy." - Ironweevil

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Supposedly, marines are unable to grow any body hair. It gets in the way of the Mucranoid, which also replaces the hair's function. However, models costantly come out with hair, and painters like the gritty "5o'clock shadow" look on their soldiers. The trend on standard codex marines tends to be close-cut mohawks. The spacewolves have the crazy-hawks and shock-hair, and dark angels tend to have a more 'dracula' style haircut, greased back etc.

The rest of the armies have their own ways of dealing with it. The Guard probably handle it like the typical military: regulation crew cuts. The Sisters tend to favor a similar style. Females in the modern military are expected to keep their hair above shoulder length, just like the Sisters.
    Orks tend to go for the bald look, or the topknot. The bald style is more believable, since they are fighters and scrappers, and wouldn't want their enemy to have something to grab them by.
    Eldar, their hair is probably worn long as a display of refinement. Of course, I doubt grabbing a Howling Banshee by her hair would do much more than make her angry, and of course they usually pile it up under their helmets, or are supposed to anyways.
    Tau keep their hair in topknots like the Japanese, presumably for the same reason since they are based on the culture anyways.
    Necrons and Tyranids don't have to worry much- no hair to speak of.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Oddly enough Blood Angels are all meant to be blonde. I suspect that the standard crew-cut is more a functional thing than anything else- if you had to wear an enclosed helmet for days at a time the last thing you need is long hair getting in your eyes or getting caught in seals. Space Wolves go for long hair but this is probably because they are ignorant thugs and know no better.

Eldar have a variety of hair styles but they're pretty much conscripts so it's hard to judge them. Dark Eldar like long hair because it's something else they can hang razorblades on.

Orks don't have hair. Anything that looks like hair is actually a squig that they are wearing.

Tau shave their heads from what I can make out. It's for the greater good.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arnold swarcheneger hair. the spiky one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

There are as many haircuts as there are planets in the Imperium.

One would think Ultramarines and Imperial Fists would be more uptight about hair cuts than Space Wolves or White Scars.

Likewise, all Cadian soldiers may get a haircut at exactly the same time every fortnight, Catachans may well sport anything they like.

Orks are bald, they where hairy squigs and don't understand why the other races have only got boring colour ones.

Tau seem to grow something as there are pictures/models of them with some kind of pony tail..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see why they would be uptight about it...i think they wouldnt care unless it got in the way

sniper: dont worry i see the robber's head

cop:ok take the shot but dont hit the hostage

sniper: trying...damn hair...AHH"gunshot".....f***

"screaming"

cop: you shot the damn hostage!

sniper: it wasnt my fault it was my hair
    "I know why dont we have wild lesbian sex infront of your boyfriend *evil giggle*" - IDEAS:There are good ideas, bad ideas and ground breaking ideas....and my friends this is a ground breaking idea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

The Space Wolf Answer to Helmet hair is simple, don't wear a helmet.

CaptainSarathai, i hear you with the no hair thing. However when have modelers ever looked at that "Fluff", when their modeling. Suposaly Boltguns use "self propelled ammunition" (little rockets) but all boltguns have a spot were the empty shells fall out and air work has casings coming out too. The reason is that the fluff righters are so obsest with writting cool fluf that they forget what will make a cool model.

Moral of the story is space marines have hair.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I'd always considered it to be a matter of choice, and that most Marines just shaved their heads as a part of their monastic / military lifestyle.

That said I always prefer the models with hair, so I'm glad to see Space Marine MPB is on the out again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    Orks don't have hair. Anything that looks like hair is actually a squig that they are wearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Orks are bald, they where hairy squigs and don't understand why the other races have only got boring colour ones.
    Where did you guys hear this? To me it sounds odd to have a squig clinging to your scalp in the middle of a fight. Or was this just a joke I mistook for a serious answer?
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's definitely mentioned in one of the old codexes, I've not read the new one yet so it might also be in there.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast