CSM Recruiting? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CSM Recruiting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

CSM Recruiting?

Simply, do legions recruit? Over time it seems like their numbers would dwindle, and while cultists/mutants/possessed/daemons etc can fill up your ranks for a while, and while daemons/etc might simply return to the warp upon death, cultists/daemons can't replace a real chaos space marine. So do they do the same kind or some kind of recruitment like regular space marines where they culture gene-seed, implant it into regular humans, and then have a space marine or have some other kind of daemonic possession/ritualized recruitment ?

I figured some of the non-dedicated legions/warbands/chapters/whatever like iron warriors would probably recruit in some fashion (especially since they are better off technologically than others and would probably still have the means to produce space marines). Emperor's children have also been known to even create clones, so I would assume they would be able to create a space marine. More recently, Fabius bile(formerly of Emp Children) seems to be able to create space marines(albeit crazy ones that can die within minutes of being created) so that leads me to believe that space marine creation is still going on in some fashion.

What about thousand sons, berzerkers, plague marines, and noise marines? They start to become more and more demonic/magical in essence so maybe they simply possess new recruits/entice them with whispers and their god/sorceror/etc transforms them into a new recruit or something.

I'm asking this mainly because someone in chat asked if thousand sons would have normal marines (aka not necron-like mindless thralls) due to recruitment. The rubric as I understood it only made current marines without psychic ability into the mindless thralls, so if they did recruit the recruits would be normal marines right? That all hinges on whether any kind of recruitment does happen though.

Any info out there besides what I've stated ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Not to sure on the thousand sons. But the other legions do recruit in similar ways to the loyalist pigs. Although, they use any bastardised geneseed they can get their hands on. And they don't use the hypnoindocturation that the loyalist SM chapters do. A few good examples of the mixing and matching that the CSM do is in Storm of Iron, and then furth in Black Sun Dark Sky. The Warsmith Honsou, is an Iron warrior, yes, but he was created with Geneseed stolen from the hated Imperial fists, so he was always the bastard child, till he proved himself enough, and got the warsmithhood passed down to him.

I suppose they probably recruit the more vicious members of the Bloodpact/Sons of Sek as well.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks, I figured they did, otherwise they would run out of marines pretty quick I would think.

Do you know if they attack geneseed repositories? Or just salvage it from killed loyalists?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Both. Storm of Iron, like Nhyx said, directly answers almost all of your questions on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Well the main question I need answered is whether the thousand sons accept new recruits or if they simply repair wounded and keep going with what they have. I vaguely remember a painting guide for thousand sons for a model that did not have the 1k sons headdress and had some blurb about how you could use regular csm's as 1k sons, but that may not have been canon/fluff related and just been a rule observation and/or a way to save money. The book storm of iron seems to be mostly about iron warriors so it would probably have a lot of info on the regular recruitment/space marine building, but I didn't see anything to say it would have info on 1k sons.

I couldn't find any information about a book called black sun dark sky aside from what was written on a couple forums . Typing the title into google only turned up about 5 results and the first one was a link to this post, lol.
    Last edited by paregoric_HAL; May 28th, 2009 at 10:22.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

No idea about the Thousand Sons, best guess I have is that they repair busted suits. Cause I don't believe Ahriman would be up for converting people into Rubric Marines by the planetful.

And the Black Sun book is the third Ultramarines novel by Graham Macneill, again all material relating to making CSMs is based on Iron Warrior techniques.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I can't think how Thousand Suns would be able to get new members, I guess there was just a lot of them and they don't infight as much as the Iron Warriors.
    Last edited by realitycheque; May 28th, 2009 at 11:20. Reason: Ninja'd
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thousand Sons sorcerers simply resummon the Rubric Marines.
    Wraithbone is stronger than adamantium. Prove me wrong.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

There's very little actual fluff (and GW would have you believe that all CSMs are renegade Marines and don't ever recruit), but the Traitor Legions surely took the long view when they failed to conquer Terra. The Legion fleets were more or less self-sufficient and so the Legions undoubtedly have their own geneseed stocks and the medical expertise to propagate their own. This may be less true of the dedicated Legions, for whom reincarnation is both possible and probable, but the Undivideds who kept their sanity have no doubt provided for themselves.

The fluff for my Night Lords is that they're arms dealers for the rest of the Traitor Legions. Berzerkers, Plague Marines and Slaaneshi freaks aren't exactly going to manage a factory floor, now are they? And those Terminator suits, plasma guns and Rhinos must be coming from somewhere.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

The Imperial Fist sergeant was recruited in Ian Watson`s novel (bout 20 years ago) simply tainted by the CSM fleet, also the fluff about the red corsairs said that many loyal joined to them since, so I guess they do both: creating with geneseed and simply tainting loyal maines what is bigger fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast