Two Eldar Avatars? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

Two Eldar Avatars?

Has anyone got any idea how to justify fluffwise giving my homebrew Eldar Craftworld two avatars? I'm useless with fluff myself but I'm trying to build a good picture of everything to do with it.

The only thing I can think of is linking it somehow to my lack of any Autarch.

The other info I have on the craftworld is what I posted in Rafis' thread, if it's any use -

Craftworld Name - Anagantieth

Farseer Name - Anghavan

I run a heavily mehcanised list - All hover tanks though, none of those puny Vypers, Jetbikes or Shining Spears - And I go over the top on Fire Prisms wherever possible (At current they're proxied, but I have one arriving tomorrow and hopefully another in a week or two - with more probably following at some point)

I use no guardians whatsoever, I run very few troops choices, but the ones I have to take are 8 to 10-man squads of Dire Avengers, with an Exarch with Dual Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm (mounted in Wave Serpents).

Because of the limits of only having 3 heavy support choices, I can't usually run War Walkers, but given the option I certainly would.

I haven't taken any fast attack as of yet - And for elites I just use Howling Banshees (In wave serpents, obviously)
    - All the Vehicles in my list have Holo-Fields where possible, and All my serpents (The amount of them varies from battle to battle) have Twin-Linked Bright lances for Anti-Tanking.

My force is generally led by two supportive Farseers (The named one - Anghavan - Has mind war as well) And occasionally I let an Avatar raise its ugly head, waiving the un-named farseer to accomodate.

My tactics are - Hide all my units inside the tanks (Unless running the avatar, I begin the game with no infantry on the table) and use their mobility to deploy as strategically as possible [hopefully] by the end of the first turn. My beloved Fire Prisms lay down a hail of blast markers on my enemies infantry (reducing unit sizes down to a few men each) while my serpents deal with the opposing vehicles. By the time my enemy draws close, his troop numbers are low enough for my infantry to hop out of the tanks and easily deal with whatever survivors there are.

-----

Dream Thief --Anagantieth--

"Do you know, Warlock, why I requested the swift Falcons, the sleek Wave-Serpents, and deadly Fire-Prisms? Do you know why I asked for these gifts, and why they were granted? Why did I not content myself with the proud armies of my brethren across the galaxy?"
    "Tell, Anghavan."
    "There are many reasons - beware a single-faceted response, it invariably hides another part of itself. First, simplest, and least important; The thrill of speed is worth virtually anything."
    "Of course, my Lord. but why not attach yourself then to a Shining Spear flight, proud and tall and noble?"
    "You understand much, Warlock. You confirm my instincts."
    "I am honored, Lord. Continue."
    "My brethren, we are dying out. Eldar, as a race, amy be condemned to die out and let the child races, the foolish and weak and unprepared, rule. So why should I not do everything in my power to protect my charges?"
    "I sense, M'lord, that you are holding back."
    "You have been taking lessons, with my apprentice, have you not?"
    "Yes, Lord Anghavan, Lady Aneath is an able teacher-"
    "She has not mastered her path; it is dangerous what you two are doing."
    "Yes M'lord."
    "There is a third reason, you are astute. We Eldar have forged some of the greatest, most perfect, deadly beautiful weapons in the Galaxy. Unfortunately there are some things even we cannot change: no Guardian or Avenger can run with a brightlance, for example. Only our great War-Machines can field our greatest weapons. We have my guard, yes. but these guard are merely to satisfy our Council of my safety, and to pursue the survivors of our lightning strikes, exhilarating and deadly."
    "Your wisdom is flawless, Lord Anghavan."

Thanks,

~ Lowell

Last edited by Dream Thief; May 29th, 2009 at 14:37.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Well rules wise the avatar is 0-1 aint it? Anyway, fluff wise i'm not so sure. How about the young king is actally twins and they both went into the fires and out poped 2 avatars.Twins are meant to be rare in Eldar and usuall end up maning titans but if a pair should so happen to end up as the young king then who knows.

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x3)

The avatar isn't 0-1, no, and thankyou

~ L

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

How about being the result of two merging craftworlds? Say two CWs get involved in a fight against Chaos, when one CW gets mullered and unable to sustain life. They're not going to abandon the Shard of Khaine any more than they'd abandon the spirits in the wraithbone core. Everyone jumps over to the working CW, and off they go! Unfortunately, all of the people on the Path of Command (I think that's who are the Autarchs) got wiped out, so that Path is no longer practiced on the new craftworld.

If you use a two-tone colour scheme that just fits even better, as each craftworld was originally one of the two colours Hell even your name Anagantieth could be made a result of the merger, from the originals Anaganoria and Seleoretieth (for example).
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lore-wise = they build two statues.

I doubt a Craftworld can always recover their Avatar if it's destroyed; I imagine the shards of Khaine are more along the lines of a soul tied to the Craftworld, and the statue is simply something it inhabits.
    Wraithbone is stronger than adamantium. Prove me wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tecnically the AVatar isn't 0-1 but on his profile in the codex it says "individual" which means you can't take more than one.
    Veni Vidi Vici
    "The plan is to win, if we don't win its cause you guys didn't follow the plan!"
    Eldar: 25,000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Thief View Post
    The avatar isn't 0-1
    yes it is, technically, it doesn't say 0-1 but you can only have 1, or none

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
    yes it is, technically, it doesn't say 0-1 but you can only have 1, or none
    Fluffwise, yes, but that's why we're trying to come up with a reason to have two. Rules-wise, there is nowhere in the codex that specifically states you can only have one Avatar.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon in White View Post
    Fluffwise, yes, but that's why we're trying to come up with a reason to have two. Rules-wise, there is nowhere in the codex that specifically states you can only have one Avatar.

DiW
    Page 61 of the Eldar codex, under the entry for the Avatar says, "Individual: An army can only include one Avatar."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Ah yes, you are right, my mistake. Seems like 2 Avatars is out of the question then except in a doubles game.

Actually, the games where we planned on fielding 2 Avatars would be in doubles games anyway (we'd have one each) so the Individual rule isn't a problem. The fluff is the main problem; sure you can field 2 Avatars in a doubles game, but it's dodgy and questionable even if the rules are fine. It's a bit like fielding Eldrad Ulthran in both armies in a doubles game: you can, yes, but it would be impossible in the 40K universe as there is obviously only one Eldrad.

DiW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast