Dusk Rangers Chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Dusk Ranger Chapter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dusk Rangers Chapter

Here goes nothing, and bear with me please. Having a well written, gramatically correct paper was not what i was going for. I just wanted to put down all the facts i could think of for my new chapter. Also be aware that it jumps all over the place (sorry). Colors are in my avatar. Enjoy

Background:
    The beginnings of the Rangers tells a tale of a trial-by-fire soon after their fateful appointment of ownership of atrum. Once arriving, the new marines decided to build their fortress monastery amongst the northern mountains while their training grounds were located in the southern rainforest. Soon after the construction of the monastery had begun, the rangers set out to explore the dangerous forests of Atrum. Upon their arrival, they were welcomed as warrior brothers to the local chieftains and gladly recieved their promise of recruitment tithes.
    All seemed to be going well for the chapter until a splinter fleet of Kraken arrived and assaulted the Jungle world. The moon of the planet had been converted into a foundry of weapons and a defense platform, add that to the defense satellites and the space marine fleet, and the tyranids took heavy loss. However, the drop pods of the tyranids largely emerged unscathed and the greatest hunt had begun for the chapter and its people.
    While most would react to the hearing of tyranid invasions with fear, this was not the case on Atrum. Quite the Contrary the warriors of the planet relished in the coming of these creatures, believing them to be a gift from the sky gods; the tyranids were considered a rare and "exotic" new species that presented a new challenge to fight against. The tyranids were hunted and ruthlessly destroyed wherever they were found, and only a few weeks after the first landing, the war was over.
    However, the tyranids had not outlived their usefulness, and a few were allowed to survive and multiply. Every year, a new great hunt is presented by the chapter master and the local chieftains, stating that if the initiates or hopefuls kill the tyranids and return with their spoils to the monastery, they will be given a chance to join the chapter. Not only do the young hopefuls participate, new marines without much standing participate and even elders who wish to hone their skills shall join in the hunt.
    According to the Records of Adeptus Terra, the Rangers are currently hosting a new great hunt and all chapter marines have been recalled to atrum. While few have any objections to the practice, many imperial commanders had lost the support of the chapter which most desperately needed. To this end, many guardsmen regiments regard them with distaste and distrust; however, the marines in general are warm and welcoming and will gladly fight alongside guardsmen if the situation allows.
    The Dusk Rangers are a recently created chapter located on the deathworld planet of Atrum Jungle, or dark jungle. The few settlements on the planet are made up of Germanic hunters that prey on the beasts of the jungle. The marines have completely immersed themselves within the thick jungle canopy and openly practice the hunting rituals of the locals. It is often very common to see initiates or rangers(marines) participating in a hunt with a group of locals.

The chapter heavily diverges from the codex, and their initiation tests reflect this. Each initiate must go into the jungle and return when he has slayed the largest daemon or animal he can find and return to the monastery with its hide as an ornament. The chapter sees this test as much of an initiation as a rite of passage, to make sure the recruits can hunt their prey effectively.

Dusk Rangers have been implanted with Imperial Fist geneseed, resulting in their stubborn albeit level-headed marines. Each marine is allowed to fully customize his armor as he sees fit, for the chapter master believes that to truly be effective in the hunt, each marine must be a master of their wargear. The newly annoited space marines are rewarded with newer mk. VII or mk. VIII armor while veterans are given more delicate and venerated "Corvus" mk. VI armor.

Organization:
    The chapter's current strength lies at a staggering 1500 marines, well over the 1000 limit of the codex astartes. The chapter does not see the reason to follow such rules if their own work as equally well. The companies are organized into 15 ranger companies, each with 100 marines. The only real change otherwise is the fact that the 1st company veterans are named "dawn raiders", as they commonly operate as suprise fast assault units.

Tactics:
    Usually the rangers fight in small squads, mainly acting as the vanguard of other imperial armies. Often, their chapter master Maximus leads this small or large force (depending on situation). Scouts are rarely seen amongst the ranger companies and are often sent on relatively simple missions far from the main army. Vehicles are rarely used because on their homeworld, even the most rugged of vehicles become ensnared in the jungle. To this end, the army is made of foot-slogging marines that are supported by a command squad and jump pack assaulters. Terminator is seen as a way to "cheat" during the "hunt" or battle, so it is rarely used as it is seen as a dishonor. Veterans are often used fighting alongside the commander of the ranger force to show a fighting example for the younger troops.

Warcry: Chaplain:"Shoulder to Shoulder we march towards the hunt!" Marines Respond: "So that we may gain honor for our primarch and Atrum!"

Chapter Master of the "Dusk Rangers" Space marines. We fight for the emperor and Dorn!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it alot, dont know if it had any influence, but the idea of an annual hunt of the tryanids after allowing them to respawn as a ritual and rite of passage for some, reminds me of Alien Vs Predator where the predators returned every few years to hunt the aliens after allowing them to breed!

A really good idea and you have put alot of thought into it, would love to see your colour scheme!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

I concur! Original and well developed! You may have some trouble with the fact that survivng tyranids call more fleets to them, but this could be used as a tool further in the story! good job
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Woah Woah!! Stop the music.

Tyranids have been known to take over entire planets in days. What are they doing the other 360 days of the year, resurrecting Darwin just so he can die (again) knowing that he was right?

This jungle just has large daemons, 20-foot tall chitinous creatures, and a horde of Tyranids...

That's enough to kick off the next War for the Armageddon Hive or possibly another Black Crusade.

Space Marines may be walking tanks and supermen all in impossibly resistant armor, but those are things that make space marines soil said armor.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

A good idea but taken a bit far.

How about, no daemons, deadly jungle creatures ala Catachan and evolved super predators that are descendants of what was left of the nids once they were defeated.
    remember this has happened before, with the Catachan Devil being a possible Tyranid descendant who no longer is linked to the Hive mind or evolves.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres actually no 1000 spacemarine cap......

Even with codexed chapters like the ultramarines.....
    The Bolter and Chainsword - Librarium - The 1000 Marine Myth : A 40k Space Marine Resource this little article shows clearly why they go over the imaginary "Limit"

So please don't limit yourself! Go nuts! The black templars have like thousands of dudes!

Help my dragon grow! And survive! By clicking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Tyranids are reproducing they have a Norn Queen.

If they have a Norn Queen they have a guiding intelligence.

An entire year to do what they want? The planet will be a barren hunk of rock soon enough, and a fresh Splinter Fleet on its way forwards.
    Wraithbone is stronger than adamantium. Prove me wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Tyranids outside of synapse are basically wild beasts. There's nothing wrong with maintaining a tyranid "herd" to hunt for sport. They'll hunt and eat and breed and do other things that animals do, but without synapse they won't have the guided intent that makes the Tyranids the threat they are. They also won't be able to evolve along their normal teleological lines, or create the organic superstructures that Tyranids use for digestion and mass-production of biomass.

In fact, Tyranids outside of synapse are remarkably useless. Keep in mind that since the most powerful Tyranid creatures are synapse creatures, your marines would basically be fighting gaunts and only gaunts. Anything larger than a gaunt would be able to control other Tyranids and make them a genuine threat.

It's stupidly dangerous - like Jurassic Park times ten billion - but whatever. It sounds fine.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

There could be a Carnifex or two knocking about as they're not Synapse creatures (and nor do they require any)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread