Army fluff not written from the "human" perspective? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army fluff not written from the "human" perspective?

Does it exist for any race? I have looked through many posts here and a few codieces but have not found any. If it doesn't exist or exists in limited amounts I am wondering how the other races would describe/ write the fluff of the space marines, Imperial Guard, or Witch Hunters.

Sorry if there is another thread like this and I missed it.

-crazyhorse

NEW DARK ELDAR! Hold all armies I have a new purpose in life!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Does it exist for any race? I have looked through many posts here and a few codieces but have not found any. If it doesn't exist or exists in limited amounts I am wondering how the other races would describe/ write the fluff of the space marines, Imperial Guard, or Witch Hunters.

Sorry if there is another thread like this and I missed it.

-crazyhorse
    One of the old Eldar codices has a group of imperials interrogating an Eldar Ranger, and he says what he thinks of the humans - I guess that could be considered a xenos opinion... But other than that most of the stuff I've read has been imperial or neutral perspective.

Sorry I couldn't help you out there.
    Ultramarines: W1 D1 L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The original tau codex had a story/letters by a tau that was living on a kroot world which I found rather interesting. IIRC it also had one about the tau ambushing an imperial guard unit. There a small stories in most of the codexes from that races view point but the majority of the stories are from the imperial perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Ork codex there is what an Ork Boy thinks of the human race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

Dark Eldar have The Torturer's Tale. Which everyone should read. And a couple of stories in their codex.

Might have some stuff mentioned in here. (40k Fluff 'Must Haves'?)
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Well, I'm not an expert, but here are a few analogies to thik of. Suffice to say, each dominant race in the 40k Galaxy sees themselves as superior, including human, and each race has reasons to back it up, that's why they are the ones who are fighting for supremacy.

Orks- Most Orks talk about "Umies" as pink soft, and all the same size. Orks live for war, it's in their genes, and humans are means to acheive that. Imagine your job was playing whack-a-mole where humans were the moles.

Eldar- Eldar are a more advanced race for itelligent, speech, so and so. For the most part, they see humans as we would other animals, less favorable ones such as our views of insects, or sharks, or other somewhat threatening creatures we see as brutish or unsightly.

Dark Eldar- Just try to imagine the most hedonistic, sickest, nasitest people you possibly could and then go further. Enough said.

Tau- Tau are quite similar to modern day preachers in regards to self-confidence and righteousness. From what I've read, the Tau really don't see the humans as helpful to the natural order and see themselves as rightful successors. So yeah... imagine someone of X religion's views of a civilization of Y religion. Join X religion or else you have no use to me.

Hopefully this helps. For the most part, I doubt the races distinguish different forces of the Imperium save for how dangerous they are.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tyland13 View Post
    In the Ork codex there is what an Ork Boy thinks of the human race.
    What does the Ork think, I imagine it is not very friendly.

There are some stories from a Chaos marine point of view, but these are really just evil humans (genetically enhanced humans) but still a fairly human point of view. They just tend to be revelling in Chaos badness, the sweet stench of Nurgle's decay, the great slaughter we give unto Khorne etc. The Chaos gods and what their followers worship are based on human evil, sickness, self-destruction and weakness at eh end of the day and so are fairly human in their point of view. They are usually the easiest non-Imperial point of view to find. I'm not sure if you want non-Imperial or just alien perspectives.

Eldar provide a fair amount of non-human perspectives. I remember reading a story about a Seer sealing a webway portal for good because they had seen a future where the Dark Eldar would find it. The Seer explained to a Warlock who wanted to wait for them to come through and fight that it would not be worth it. The Seer said they could not maintain a permanent guard and they did not know when the Dark Eldar would find the portal, nest year or a thousand years. So the portal was sealed. Eldar often seem to be interested in the bottom line.

The Eldar also are very emotional, they tend to cry tears of anger when things don't go their way. This link has Eldar stuff on it, the Eldar path explains things from an Eldar point of view and how they think.Eldar - Lexicanum

I don't think Tyranid have much of a point of view we can understand. They have a collective conciousness and it isn't clear if it is entirely aware of the races it fights. The Hive mind may view them as obstacles, like part of overcoming a hostile habitat. The only time anybody (Tigurius) made contact with the Hive mind and lived they described it as immortal hunger. He did sense the other Tyranid and they seemed to be cold and analytical.

Others who have had close encounters with Tyranids describe them as being lifeless and unfeeling. I read about a Techpriest who came eye to ey with w Tyranid warrior and he described it as being like a servitor, a thing made to follow a function and not sentient like him. Another encounter an Eldar jet bike had with what was likely a Hive tyrant described it as taking a look at her. Tyranids seem to be curious, analytical when they pause and often described as being like organic machines and not normal living things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

There's also the C'tan of course..

Trying to write fluff from the perspective of one of the C'tan, could, I think, be an interesting challenge. I mean, if I'm reading the codex right they didn't even notice the existence of lesser creatures until the Necrontyr discovered the Nightbringer and built the first Necrodermis to house it, either that or they just really weren't curious about the little things living on the worlds beneath them.

I'd imagine them to be cold, ancient, utterly alien and generally existing on an almost completely different plane of existence, where the entire subatomic structure of the universe is theirs to command.

I'd also imagine when they look at a living being they don't really see it as a 'being', almost just a momentary collection of atoms united by lovely, tasty essence.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; July 4th, 2009 at 04:10.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

That's interesting about the C'tan. I think they never looked at normal living things because we give off such little energy. Morpheus in the Matix did bang on about humans generating more energy than a battery. But from a C'tan perspective compare a battery or even billions of batteries to a star and the battery isn't worth bothering with. Then the Necrons taught them that people are tasty, unlike stars which are tastless apparently. They would see people as atoms all stuck together and since nobody is using these atoms why not eat them. Though the C'tan do have one very human desire, they are obsessed with power, control and dominion. But this doesn't make them any nicer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies, it is nice to start gathering the fluff from the view of the actual species it is about. daelrog I loved the whack-a-mole idea but I would want to say that dark eldar would look at humans and their empire as an all you can eat buffet.

I am after revenge for all the non-Imperium races, a search for their fluff on the Imperiumfrom those who have suffered under Imperiumfluff for too long.

-crazyhorse
    Last edited by crazyhorse; July 4th, 2009 at 05:09. Reason: yes I can type
    NEW DARK ELDAR! Hold all armies I have a new purpose in life!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast