Help with names. SM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with names. SM

I know this is a question you get all the time but i'm really stumped with what to name my chapter. Their colour scheme is based around a dark green colour if that any help.
    I want my chapter to be have the brotherhood feel, look and sound much like the dark angels and black templars with there robes etc.
    hence i have the beggining of my chapter name, The priory of ?_?_?_?_?_?_?

Any help would be very much appreciated, Erk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

go with a Dark Angels successor. The Templars don't have successors per se, they just spin off more crusades, all with the same armor scheme, but a slightly different logo.

As for a name (and backstory), what is your playing style? What traits does your army have (hey, even the army list could be the basis for something)?

If all else fails, try combining an adjective/verb and a noun. They should both be grandiose and/or exotic-sounding. Howling Griffons, for example. (Note: I'm not dishing out on the chapter, just the name. It's so pretentious it's surprising that they do anything instead of preening themselves all day, just because of that name.)
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

A priory is a group of sorts, in a couple of words. I would try and figure out what type of geographical area they came from or what kind of things they hold in high regard (besides the standard for SMs). As a quick example, since their color is dark green, it would stand to reason they would not be out of place in the woods. Perhaps a name like "The Priory of Schwarzwald" could work. btw, Schwarzwald is German for Black Forest (a real place in Germany).

For naming conventions Dark Angels succesor chapters usually start with "Angels of ..." in their name. That's not to say you have to follow that, but just a quick point.

As for a Templar succesor chapter, I agree they don't really have succesors, but since they basically build mini-homeworlds everywhere, I can see a scenario where a part of the crusade gets lost via warp and gets stuck on a human planet for a couple hundred years, and by the time they leave the newbies want to make a new Chapter. Fluff is variable. Just don't take anyone important and check with GW people first. It is rumored that the Red Templars are a Black Templar succesor chapter, though they could also be descended from the Imperial Fists (same general stream of genes, either way).

Anyhoo, I digress. If you wanted to make a name based on a hobby or thing they hold in high regard, you could call them "The Priory of Annihilation" or "The Priory of Sanctity."

Or you could just call them "The Priory of (insert home planet's name here)." Of course, the planet's name must be really cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about after a famous martyr, or important figure in their lives?

The Priory of Angelos, The Priory of St Sebastian.

Or you could get abstract. The Priory of The Ascending Star.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

How abotu just the

'The Priory'. Of course this makes them sound like a bunch of heroin addicts.

Other names

The Authority (a shamless rip off I know).

The Brotherhood of Redemption.

The Brothers of Vengeance

The Exemplars.

The Knights Eternal.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Seeing what sort of things you're looking for, I'd go with one of the Dark Angels successor chapters, so any one of these:

Angels of Absolution
    Angels of Redemption
    Angels of Vengeance
    Consecrators
    Disciples of Caliban
    Guardians of the Covenant

~ DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

You could also hedge, with the Crusading Angels
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the dark angels have any restrictions as i was planning on playing as a 'codex' chapter? Or is it still possible the remain codex despite coming from a not so codex chapter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

Games Workshop says that Dark Angels can use the standard codex (aka Codex Astartes) or the Dark Angels codex (which is a little outdated, to be sure)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah right thanks, so in effect i'd just be naming my chapter as succesors for use in fluff. Also if your chapter is a successor of a chapter like the dark angels do you need to use their iconography?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast