Space Marine Captains - All alone at the top - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Space Marine Captains - All alone at the top

Hi LO

It has occured to me (mainly due to me having an excess of SM Captain models) that their are really only two ranks in a SM Company.

Sergeant (NCO) and Captain.

That's it! No Lieutenants or Second Lieutenants no Corporals - nothing.

You have your basic Marine (Private) a Sergeants (who may be decorated to be a Veteran) and then we head straight up to Captain.

Anyone else find this odd?

NOTE: I'm not counting Librarians and Chaplains as I see them sitting to the "side" of the ranking system.

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

It's not really that odd when you consider the Codex Astartes organisation. You essentially have 1000 Space Marines in a Chapter, not including support staff (Chaplains, Techmarines, et al).

At the top, the Chapter Master and his fellow Masters (of the Forge, of the Recruits, etc).
    Below him, there are 10 Companies each led by a Captain.
    In a Company, there are 10 Squads, each led by a Sergeant.

Since each Captain is only really responsible for a 10 Sergeants (and by proxy, 100 Marines), I don't really think it would be that necessary to have ranks inbetween. And neither did Guilliman.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Judging from the fluff, there's a few unofficial ranks - basically (Combat) Squad Leader, Senior Sergeant, First Captain etc who would take control should anything happen to the official commander.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

3rd Edition Codex had 3 ranks of 'captain' Force Commander, Commander and Lt.
    I would imagine that the Captain would have a Lt. who could take over if something happened to the Captain, or whatever.
    Also, depending on the chapter, the setup will be different.

I'd say they were left out as you don't really need a 6th HQ choice in the Marine codex, especially as Chapter Master is just Captain + Orbital Bombardment.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as far as ive read when a captain is killied in combat the 1st sgt takes over. Like uriel ventris when whats his face died..lol i cant remeber the guys name
    A moment of weakness spawns a life tme of heresy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

The reason why I brought the topic up is due to the range of nice captain models out there and also my self inflicted limits I put on my own army list.

I run a Ultra Marine 2nd Company and decided to have Sicarius as my Captain.

But my friends are running a campaign and having Sicarius showing up in every game wouldn't work.

Okay I can use a Librarian, Chaplain and Master of the Forge as my HQ but when a Captain shows up everyone will expect Sicarius.

And after ten or more games I'll probably be sick of using him.

So if I run my army with a "Captain" who I just name Force Commander, Lieutenant or whatever, it allows me to have a different model leading the army, without me having to replace Sircarius as my Company Captain.

Plus I can give them their own fluff!
    Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

If I understood it correctly, vet sergeants are just first company marines with extra gear.

But yeah, Guilliman clearly liked a quasi-metric system. 10 squads of marines, each led by a Sergeant (of some sort), who in turn, all ten of them reporting to the Captain. Librarians and Chaplains branch off here as a sort of auxiliary commander. All ten of the Captains then report to one single Chapter Master.

Both Chapter Master and Captains each have retinues, advisors, and other individuals (or servitors, etc) that they consider essential to give then advice or act as ablative armor. Those individuals, some Space Marines, may-or-may-not be part of the 1000-man quota, either they are drawn from the rest of the Company/Chapter, or Guilliman mandated 1000 normal marines plus a command structure. More probably the former. Many marines will wear two hats, being naval units as well as marine-type infantry. Others will be part of the air force, in Thunderhawks (Do Land Speeders count as air force or army? Hmm...) or the like. Some may even pilot the massive Titans. I'm not quite sure about that last bit.

Regardless, a given Captain will have as many as nine peers, one Chapter Master, and a whole squad of ablative yes-men devoted solely to him. Not quite so lonely.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Just say Sicarius wasn't able to reach a battlefield in time, or is getting treated for a wound, or (worst of all) is meeting with the other military commanders in the region. You could even say he was busy with religious duties and couldn't be bothered enough to kill such an unworthy opponent as whoever you're facing, so he sent a sargeant to lead in his absence.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    ISome may even pilot the massive Titans. I'm not quite sure about that last bit.
    Titan Legions are separate from the Marines. I think I remember reading that they have specifically enhanced Mechanium people to pilot them

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

What I remember is that the driver (whatever his name is) interfaces with the Titan and its machine spirit to awaken/pilot it.

Those people are very rare, and it's feasible that there is a Legio Astartes Titanica (or whatever the quasi-latin of 40k would come out as) similarly to the Librarium for Astartes psykers.

I have definitely seen Space Marine players fielding Titans in apocalypse. Maybe they were fielded as allies or it was a split-army battle, though.
    Last edited by rafis117; October 7th, 2009 at 01:14.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast