Children of the 41st millenium - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO's resident Yowie Dead Dude Walking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    272 (x4)

Children of the 41st millenium

I see what would happen on an agri-world, the kid grows up with a semi-normal life. But what about the kids that grow up in a Hive World? And their education and how they end up with a job etc. I couldn't find any fluff about the cildren so I thought I'd ask around here.

cheers
    -DDW

<----- Dead Dude's WIP Thread, in all it's pant wetting glory! :D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

It would be one of two hings, depending on the hive world (this is assuming they are lower class):

1. They receive an education, this would most likely involve them learning things primarily focused on training them to operate in their future life of either joining the military or becoming part of the work force.

Now this would also be a form of brainwashing, training them to worship their emperor and to work hard.

So the primary things they would learn would be physical education, teamwork, religious time, and completing tasks, as well as an understanding of language.

This system helps to explain the gangs, the military output, and the overall efficiency of the hiveworld.

2. They are kept at home and taught by their parents, this is the less likely of the two because it wouldn't be as controlled. However children would probably start working at a younger age.

Obviously the elite class would send their kids either to nice boarding schools or to offworld schools, depending on the options at said world.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

On the lower-levels of a hive-world, alot children will be inducted into the gangs. The savage gang wars are why the Imperial Guard like regiments founded on hive-worlds; they are already ruthless killers and have many neccessary survival skills.

Higher up I guess you would get your poor, but not poor enough to be in a gang people who will get all the jobs to keep the hive going.

At the top you will have the aristocracy of the world, so I would assume their children will be taught somehow to become leaders or officers.

Last two paragraphs are based on small hints from GW fluff. Generally they don't write about the 'nicer' levels of a hive because they are just not grimdark enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I knew I forgot to mention the gangs. I was thinking about them the whole time while writing.

I would assume, however, that the world would have something in order that is more formal, and the gangs would recruit from the school system. You cant have 75% of your workforce being taken into the gangs.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

In terms of a Hive World, a huge percentage of the population will be middle hivers working in the factories and processing plants of the Hive. Often (though not always) Hives are further divided into Habzones where the general population live. These Habzones will often have contracts and agreements with Factories and Guilds so that the children of the Habzones will have a job to go to while the factories get a constant supply of cheap labour.

Education is limited to what is necessary to a child's chosen work. Literacy may or may not be widespread throughout a hive depending on the type of work carried out.

In some Hives the Adminstratum take a hand in organising the labour force to make sure the factories and manufactoriums are fully operational. So in some Hives a Cognomen or Identity Card may be issued to every middle hiver. These are a way of tracking taxing and identifying a particular civillian. Its loss or destruction can have grave consequences, for example it might prevent a Hiver from worker which can lead to starvation. Or it might even mean being arrested and exiled to the lowr hive.

Bare in mind that a Hive won't be self sufficient. It requires a lot of imported food. This means that middle hivers are probably rationed and fed by their Guild or by the Administratum directly. That said the Imperium is a big place and every Hive will be different.

Don't necessarily assume life on an agri world would be that normal.

It is possible that a civillian could grow up with only a few thousand other individuals on their world trained simply to tend to giant machines that take massive decade long circuits harvesting an entire continent worth of food stuff. The Produce is then 'bagged' and sent off world. The population themselves though may have no idea why they do this and know nothing of space craft the Imperium or anything else.
    Last edited by Visitor Q; December 1st, 2009 at 00:14.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Yeah the TC was probably thinking more in terms of Civilized Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always found Hive Worlds to be the most interesting place in the 41st millenium. A person could live their entire life in one without seeing the light of the sun and not miss much.

I can easily imagine hiveworlds ascribing a job or task to a person as soon as they are born based on what their parents did. If a couple of factory workers have a kid, that kid will be taught how to be a factory worker. In other words, there would be almost no vertical movement in such a massive society; you're either highborn and become a noble or manage the day to day operations of the hive, or you have the misfortune to not have noble blood and are force to be a menial worker for the rest of your life. Part of this would probably have to do with the fact that, while the Administratum is massive, there simply isn't enough time and resources to individually assess the abilities of every civilian in a hive.

Based on those guesses, I would also imagine that tributes of guardsmen are selected at random from the hive's working and lower class. In some cases, a hive may decide to ship off whatever criminals they have in their prisons, since they would otherwise be left to rot.

I imagine life as an average child in a hiveworld would be difficult and maybe even somewhat scary. You would work around dangerous heavy machinery all day, and there is the constant looming threat of being drafted into the Imperial Guard, or things from outside the hive getting inside. I would say picture your average child sweat-shop worker and make them live in a giant city, and you have a pretty good analogue for existence in a hive world.

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Perhaps, because the Imperium has supergenetics, they can tell when the person is born or before what their aptitude will be and so employ them.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Regardless of where in the Imperium you live there are a few constant truths.
    The Emperor, and his agents, are always watching.
    War is a constant threat, if not affecting you directly, you will be creating weapons, or food for the front or be drafted for the guard, or captured for navy work.
    If you are noble born, you will either be a politician or become a guard officer.

Life in a hive could vary from a life of luxury and ease, to the average scribe, or admin worker who would have a somewhat simple but safe life, to the factory worker who works hard for little pay, to the bottom hive scum who fight each day of their lives to survive.

Life in the guard may be a good alternative to living in a gang.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    Perhaps, because the Imperium has supergenetics, they can tell when the person is born or before what their aptitude will be and so employ them.
    They don't care enough to do this to each child - bear in mind a hive contains millions of people, so the population will probably have around 30,000 kids born in each hive per year for every million residents. That's a lot of kids to test, especially when you know that 99.99% of them will just be standard people doing standard jobs. The Imperium just isn't that nice.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast