Disection Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disection Question

As the Imperium has many organisations, who is in charge of desecting Xenos and Aliens? I would imagine that the Apothecarium would be for the Space Marines but what about the Imperial Guard in particular?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

the Medicae would do it for guard, but those sorts of things generally fall under the purview of the Ordos Xenos of the inquisition.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I'm not sure the guard or the space marines would WANT to dissect anything, to be honest... why do they need to? They're filthy xenos. About the only people who might be interested are the Ordo Xenos as said, or a possibly heretical Magos Biologis from the Adeptus Mechanicus. Although maybe not that heretical, given Xenology. But I can't see anyone else being interested in dissections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

There's an organisation under the AdMech who handles the analysis of Xeno biology to better combat them. What were they called again...

No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

It would be either the Magi Biologis or the Magi Genetor. The Magi Biologis are almost single-handedly responsible for the Imperium's in-depth scientific knowledge of Tyranids and their biology, and I'm not sure how that would happen if they didn't cut open a lot of Tyranid bodies to find out how they work. The most well-known xenologist dissector, I'd think, would be Magos Biologis Locard. He was attached to Inquisitor Kryptmann's retinue during Hive Fleet Leviathan's attack on Tarsis Ultra, and he created the gene-virus that Uriel Ventris and the Deathwatch shot into the fleet's Norn Queen.
    Also, the Imperium wouldn't know that Tau blood uses cobalt instead of iron to bond oxygen, which gives it its blue color, or that Orks are semi-fungoid and reproduce through spores, without dissection and biological study.
    So if a regiment of the Imperial Guard came across something that merited attention, the Magos Biologis would probably be the ones who responded.
    Last edited by Dawnrunner; January 6th, 2010 at 04:54.
    The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dawnrunner's answer seems the most accurate. But thanks everyone. You all have been a great help. =)

No King Rules Forever Dawnrunner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Quick addition-- just read a passage in Graham McNeill's book Courage and Honor that talks about an AdMech "xenolexicon servitor", which provides translation for various alien languages. It does this with the help of a mechanical mouth that rearranges and uses different parts to mimic the shape of various species' speech organs. A character wonders how the techpriests knew what the inside of an alien's mouth looked like, and then shrugs and guesses they cut one open to find out.
    The Emperor set a fire in their hearts that they might burn the iniquitous and the impure from his sight. And the light of that flame shall be as a beacon to the faithful, a light that shines in the darkest places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The Inquisition is the only institution that actually has a reason to catalogue alien biology. Space Marine chapters might undergo independent research if they make fighting that particular alien their special thing. I'd imagine all Marines would have access to the biological knowledge necessary to most effectively kill Alien X, but that's really a limited focus.

I don't imagine the Guard would involve themselves very much in it at all. They're not known for their high-quality training, really. The Inquisition would as a matter of course, and Space Marines would do it because they're master warriors and may well be fighting these aliens for centuries.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread