My Custom Chapter - The Iron Crusaders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Custom Chapter - The Iron Crusaders

Hey all!

This is my first real topic. I originally set out to build a Black Templar army, but the more I read the Codex the more I realised it was not for me. So I decided to create my own chapter that follows the Index Astartes. This is my first fluff so I would greatly appreciate constructive criticism. Also, I am not an expert in the 40K universe so please feel free to point out any mistakes I make. This is sort of a first draft.

Iron Crusaders
    After a mighty crusade against Chaos Forces of which he and his army were the victors, Marshall Ania of the Black Templars and Captain of the battle barge ’The Iron Crusader’ set out to return to the ‘Eternal Crusader’ and report to the Grand Marshall. During the voyage, there was a mutiny aboard; some of Ania’s initiates had been tainted by the dark forces of Chaos. Many of Ania’s men were killed during the brutal assault that lasted merely an hour. Fortunately, although the corrupted initiates and neophytes outnumbered them, those who hadn’t turned to Chaos were far more experienced – and far more loyal to the emperor – than the insurgents and halted the revolt in its tracks. Although they emerged victorious, the ship had taken irreparable damages. ‘The Iron Crusader’ tumbled from the sky and crashed into an uncharted nearby planet. Unbeknownst to Ania and his warriors, this planet was dangerously close to the Warp. As more of his men fell prey to the corrupting powers of the Warp – including Castellan Garthus, leader of third fighting company (who later became a daemon prince and one of Ania’s arch enemies) – Ania decided to take drastic measures. Along with the company chaplain he made his warriors swear unbreakable oaths of loyalty to him and the Emperor. If they broke these vows they would be immediately obliterated. This slowed the corruption of his men and gave him time to reinforce and rebuild. They created a temporary base on the planet, all the while dealing with the monstrosities emerging from the Warp. Using the Black Templar Gene seed and hundreds of sets of spare armor, weapons and equipment carried with them on board ‘The Iron Crusader’, they reinforced the battle force. The next step was to find their way back to Imperial territory, namely the Solaris system. As the servitors and techmarines attempted to repair the battered ship, Ania realized returning to the ‘Eternal Crusader’ was almost impossible. And then, a miracle occurred. One of the new initiates had ventured to close to the Warp, too close, but far enough to comprehend the potential within. He returned to Ania, whose first thought was to shoot him on the spot. But the more he listened to him, the more Marshall Ania understood the untapped power of the Warp. So he made a decision, one which would be deeply detested by his Black Templar brethren, but one necessary to survive, to help the cause. Ania and those followers who had sworn the unbreakable oath summoned the power of the Warp and used it to return to Terra on the still irreparable ‘The Iron Crusader’. Many men were killed by the immense power of the Warp. Upon arrival to Terra they were greeted anything but welcomingly, but as Ania explained the series of events, it became clear that he was anything but corrupted. Scores of Apothecaries, Librarians and Chaplains examined his men as they emerged unconscious from their deathly voyage, but not one of them was tainted. Ania then decided to visit the Grand Marshall and inform him of their victories. He was shunned for meddling with the powers of Chaos and forbidden to rejoin the ranks of his battle brothers. So Ania created his own Chapter – The Iron Crusaders – named boldly after the holy battle barge (which still remains to this day). The Inquisition allowed this on the condition that the chapter follows the Index Astartes and not those of the Black Templars. Ania was granted the rank of Commander for his bravery and quick thinking. The Chapter inherited his heraldry but those who were warriors before these events still kept the insignia of the Black Templars – The Templar Cross. Even though Ania and his chapter were originally Black Templars, they no longer Abhor The Witch as much as them, and function as a ‘normal’ chapter.

Please tell me what you think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Hello there! Honestly, you've got some nice writing here, but it raises some questions in my mind.

Ania called on the power of the warp, did he do this with the intervention of a chaos deity? Perhaps they saw an anomaly in warp space and dared to brave it without calling on the foul gods of chaos? Their ship, battered and ruined, might no longer have sufficient protection against the denizens of the warp. When they arrive at Terra, there might be possessed people on the ship, which would make the Templars think Ania is a traitor?

This way Ania could actually be a loyalist, but shunned falsely as a minion of chaos? He might think to lay down his life, but the terrible and binding oaths he made to his men and his pride (for he is innocent) make him fight a daring escape from the Templar base. Then he could go to the frontier systems and live out his day as a pirate, destroying the enemies of the Imperium?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your story, that's just what I was thinking when I read it. Historically there were chapters that turned renegade without being chaos worshippers, at least a long time ago I read about them. You could write a thousand more stories about Ania's attempts to be reconciled with the Imperium, his battles with the Inquisition, as well as his war against all who threaten humanity...

I don't know enough about Space Marines to comment much more. You have a good imagination and I enjoyed reading your story

---Emperor forgive you, if He wills!
    Francois

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one really goes to terra much any more, and it would be more likely i reckon for him to try to link back up with a black templar crusade fleet. Also i think it would work a little better if the ship was still space worthy, and capable of warp travel, but its gellar field (the field that all imperial ships have to keep the nasties in the warp outside) wasn't working at full capacity, and so some beasties got into the ship as they travelled

but otherwise i reckon its a good back story
    Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...by that time they'll be a mile away, and have no shoes

+ Reply to Thread