Marines, new chapter creation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marines, new chapter creation

I took a long break from 40k while I finished my undergrad (about 3 years), but now that I'm getting back into it I can't find the rules I had begun for creating a marine army. As I recall it let me use apothecaries as squad leaders, or something to that effect. I heard the apothecary concept was removed, so I'm assuming that what I'm remembering is all gone.

Can anyone fill me in on what happened? (Anyone remember what I'm thinking of?) Is the most alteration you can do to a chapter now the combat tactics you gain via special characters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40k has changed some much if you take breaks esp. for marines grab a codex i use ebay cheaper. Read through it then ask questions
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Welcome, Rip Van Grimdark.

Apothecaries still exist, but can only be part of command squads. There was a trait in the old SM codex that allowed Apothecaries, but no more. For that matter, no more chapter traits at all.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    Apothecaries still exist, but can only be part of command squads. There was a trait in the old SM codex that allowed Apothecaries, but no more. For that matter, no more chapter traits at all.
    That was roughly what I heard. The traits bit is what I was thinking of. Did they get rid of that in 5e, and are tactics supposed to be what stands in for it?
    I guess I'm just a little disappointed since those presented, what I thought, were great ways of bringing fluff into marines. They aren't my only army, but I'd still like to have that extra bit of personalization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

Krief, there are no longer any overarching, army changing rules anymore, with the sole exception of certain HQ choices (the special characters). Each SM special character can give a special ability to his squad or the army as a whole (depending on the ability). This gives a little army-creation leeway, but all of the fluff has to be based on the army composition and miscellaneous inspiration.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

You could always still paint up your Sgts as Apothecaries, and just use Sgt rules for them instead
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have generalized the space marines a little, simply because the space marine codex is supposed to represent CODEX chapters. Apothecaries as sergeants (although cool) was a pretty big departure from the codex astartes when you think about it. As a result, yes the only real variation you get when it comes to rules are the special character captains that you can bring. Personally i like this though as your list can be completely re-written and different with the simple act of choosing a different HQ character
    Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...by that time they'll be a mile away, and have no shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

It is the general trend of 40k, from the Rogue Trader days of essentially RPG gameplay into more of a small-scale engagement TBS, in doing so drastically simplifying and to an extent making bland armies that before had taken much more effort to construct. This may or may not have been a good thing - on one hand, it's easier to start a given army. On the other hand, there is a lot less room for experimentation and customization. This trend is especially noticeable with Space Marines and Eldar - the former with the Traits, now gone, that used to allow major customization and variation in Space Marine armies that has pretty much disappeared - now it's all about units on their own merits and not about min/maxing certain statistics etc. to achieve one's desired playstyle. Eldar were even more dramatic, going from an army list per craftworld to having a unit that under certain circumstances can count as a troop choice (instead of elites) and dumbed-down special unit types (Black Guardians -> Storm Guardians, for example).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true. Remember when you actually were just given the points cost for a marine, and told that you had to have a minimum of 5 of them in a squad? They actually made us add up those points ourselves! The cheek of it
    Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...by that time they'll be a mile away, and have no shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do like what I see now, but I'll miss what was lost. It's a shame that both can't be worked in. Something like having the basic chapters, and then throwing out traits if you wanted a chapter that adheres to different standards in battle. I'm sure I'll make due.

Now I just need to figure out what character I want to represent the leader of the chapter...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast