Eldar Linguistics and Speech Patterns - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar Linguistics and Speech Patterns

OK, first off, I'm not too sure on what section this would go under, but ah well. Does anybody know if the Eldar language correlates to a real world language? Korean, perhaps? If anybody has any ideas, please post them below. I will most definitely post whether I find my answer for those of you who are likewise interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes... I'm also very interested in that.... it states in the Codex that they have a very complicated language to learn, as some words mean entire stories... and that they can have a conversation merely by body language.... in my mind i have always thought of the language as sounding like Arabic, or French. Very flowing with little to no harsh tones. i can also imagine that it does relate to some far eastern languages, due to the fact of short words meaning long and drawn out stories.

~dylan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree less.
    From what I've read their language is in great part based on their history, making constant reference to occurances and their lore. Its described as being extremely hard to learn for this reason.
    Trying to link it to a recognisable language based on this to me is just grasping at straws.
    I mean an unintelligable garble to someone with no understanding may have similarities to another unintelligable garble, but what real connection is there apart from sounding 'similar'.

But then I'm the kind of sci-fi person who doesn't feel the need to try and connect everything to something that already exists in real life, just for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the arabic influence, but french doesn't really sound Eldar-y to me. I know if you go to the 40k wiki Eldar Lexicon - Lexicanum then it has some phrases, but who knows if it is an ancient language or a current one; if any at all.

Here's one example: "Nil ann ach cleasai, agus tá an iomad measa aige air féin."That translates into "the trickster thinks too much of himself." To me, that sounds like an old native american dialect, but then "Bhi se chomh dorcha gur cheapamair go raibh an oichie tagtha." translates to "It was so dark that we thought night had come." Now this sounds very arabic to me, even though I don't know the language. Granted, It may indeed be the author's take on it, as the first quote comes from the book"Chaos Child" and the second from "Harlequin". Me thinks this needs to be brought to the attention of GW.

@kriswithak: Everything in sci-fi has at the very least influence from a real world matter.. I'm not saying that it necessarily is one thing. In fact, just the opposite! I do like my conspiracies though..... >
    Last edited by English Nickel; February 7th, 2010 at 23:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I'd look into Quenya, one of the Elven languages Tolkien created for his world. It's loosely based on Finnish, although I doubt any direct link can be made between them. The reason for my suggestion is that in Quenya the world Eldar is the name of the Elven people. I suspect a lot of the older language sections are borrowed, but newer ones might be based on other languages, or most likely, completely fictional, as due to the complexity of their language GW can just make up any words they want and give them any meaning they want, since depending on context words can mean different things in the Eldar tongue of 40k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a very good point. I'll look into that in greater detail when i get the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

This thread would find a great home over in the 40K Fluff Forum, you may continue discussion on the waveserpent ride there.

*Thread Moved*

Alzer

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

If only it were that elaborate. But GW seems to be content to base Eldar linguistics on clever wordplays like Monkey -> "Mon-Keigh". The Orcs are the same on a more obvious level. I bet every single one of our fluff masters here on LO could do a better job. Sorry for this harsh remark. I'm glad you can make more out of it. Thanks to your efforts we can get something sensible out of what started as a bunch of not particularly witty wordplays...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by English Nickel View Post
    I can see the arabic influence, but french doesn't really sound Eldar-y to me. I know if you go to the 40k wiki Eldar Lexicon - Lexicanum then it has some phrases, but who knows if it is an ancient language or a current one; if any at all.

Here's one example: "Nil ann ach cleasai, agus tá an iomad measa aige air féin."That translates into "the trickster thinks too much of himself." To me, that sounds like an old native american dialect, but then "Bhi se chomh dorcha gur cheapamair go raibh an oichie tagtha." translates to "It was so dark that we thought night had come." Now this sounds very arabic to me, even though I don't know the language. Granted, It may indeed be the author's take on it, as the first quote comes from the book"Chaos Child" and the second from "Harlequin". Me thinks this needs to be brought to the attention of GW.

@kriswithak: Everything in sci-fi has at the very least influence from a real world matter.. I'm not saying that it necessarily is one thing. In fact, just the opposite! I do like my conspiracies though..... >
    Are you aware that the bold you have highlighted is in fact Irish? They do not translate exactly to what you have, but are close enough.
    The Irish comes from the Inquiistion Trilogy I believe.

There is some other celtic stuff thrown in in places too Murigen is like an eternally young lake goddess.
    I think one of the craftworlds is a celtic monster too..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huzzah!!! Omegoku hath found the answer to our plight!!! We shall throw a parade in his honor!!!

Whew! Glad That the search for Eldar language is done. No wonder it was described as a difficult language to learn!!!
    Now to find someone who speaks Irish in Texas.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast