Dark Eldar Fluff, what a mess. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Eldar Fluff, what a mess.

Man Dark Eldar fluff is such a mess.
    I fear that when GW releases the new codex DE history will be completly rewritten.

There is so much thats been screwed up that it would be easier to start from scratch.
    I've been thinking of writing my fluff for my army, and have been researching as much fluff as I can, and here is what I've found so far.

1. Dark Eldar do not worship Chaos. I have seen this all over the internet, and GW even allowed a book to be published (the Souldrinkers) that had DE worship Chaos. I fear the rewrite may have DE worship Slanish.

2. Dark Eldar are not Athiest. They CREATED a god, so why would they be Athiest.

3. Dark Eldar do not HATE Craftworld Eldar, they pity them. It should be noted that the Striking Scorpions may hate the Incubi, but I'll get to that.

4. Incubi are almost definatly the descendants of the Fallen Pheonix Lord making them a branch of Striking Scorpion. It is most likely that they were allowed into Camorogh only if they acted as body guards for the Archons. They dont seem to have any political power on thier own, and it's possible the Incubi are acctually normal Eldar. It's not clear. Personally I think they are second generation Striking Scorpions made up of Dark Eldar.

5. Dark Eldar dont like psychics, but they DO have psychics in Camoragh, The psychics in Camoragh have to stay hiddin or they will become playthings for the Kabals/Covens, yet somehow they manage to sell Nightmare Dolls to the Kabals... hmm. Some kinda Black Market thing I guess.

6. The Dark Eldar have captured the White Scars main leader guy. Kinda cool.Thats pretty much all the fluff I've seen screwed up on the internet. Lets see... a couple things I havent finished looking up.

Camorogh may have been destroyed by some Space Marine Chapter. Apparantly its mentioned in one of thier codexes.

Camorogh may not be the only Dark Eldar city. Its mentioned in 40k epic or something...

Last edited by Krayduk; March 21st, 2010 at 07:41. Reason: This forum hates me, and wont ever space out my paragraphs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

1. True, the only eldar who has fallen to Chaos (according to GW fluff) was Arha, the first Striking Scorpion Pheonix King.
    2. Again true.
    3. May be true, but it probably depends on the dark eldar in question.
    4. Probably, but Incubi are allowed in Comorragh because they can survive there. And it's not so much they don't have political power, but rather they are apolitical, and choose not get involved. Hey, if they wanted to they could probably kill virtually every single Dark Eldar leader they protect, virtually decapitating the Dark Eldar hierarchy. And Incubi are trained and live in dojos, and protect Archons/Dracons according to contracts they establish.
    5. ALL Dark Eldar are psychics. They just don't use their powers, because they don't have soul stones and using pyschic powers attract the attention of the warp daemons they are trying to hide from. They are, experimental haemonculi procedures aside, genetically the same as Craftworld eldar but with ideological differences. Therefore, they are all psychics.
    6. We don't know if they captured the Khan. All we know is that he disappeared into a webway portal while chasing Dark Eldar. For all we know, he killed them all but then couldn't find his way out, and is still wandering the webway.

As for the rest, I've never heard anything about any non-eldar race even finding Comorragh, let alone destroying it. And they do have more than one city, one called Shaadom is mentioned in the Planetstrike book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

1. The black library is the black library.. they don't really moderate what the authors they contract write, and it can be fantastically contradictory. A lot of black library authors have no affiliation to Games Workshop at all and merely work on contract to the black library. In short, if it's in a black library book then don't automatically assume it's worth more than the paper its printed on.

2. Slannesh isn't a 'god' to the Eldar, it's a horrible superentity which constantly devours their souls. The rest of the Eldar pantheon is either dead or has seemingly abandoned them, so I guess 'atheist' is actually not that bad a label for the DE.

3. I don't see why hate and pity are mutually exclusive. 'Resent' might be a better word than hate, but the emotion certainly isn't that clear cut.

4. Whatever Incubi are they're not striking scorpions. Striking scorpions are part of the Eldar path, and one of the aspect shrines of Khaine. I've never seen a mention of Khaine in the Incubi fluff, and they certainly don't follow the Eldar Path any more. They're something wholely different with some trace similarities.

5. As mentioned, all eldar are psychics.. craftworld and dark. Those who never use or train their psychic abilities have negligable power, but everyone has the potential. Dark Eldar specifically don't do it publically because it makes their souls more nutritious and thus will result in them getting saccrificed.

6. Marius is probably right here..
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; March 21st, 2010 at 13:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some very good points.

1. the black library... yeah your right.

2. Slannish not a god but a super entity... Yah know from the Dark Eldar perspective that makes so much sense.

3. Resent... much better word.

4. That one can be argued to death iether way... and has been. I guess we wont find out untill GW puts the new codex out.

5. Yeah they are all psychic, but the trained ones are the ones I'm talking about.

6. Yeah, knowing games workshop, he probably took out 3 or 4 hundred Dark Eldar in 15 days of constant fighting, without food, drink or sleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Krayduk View Post
    4. Whatever Incubi are they're not striking scorpions. Striking scorpions are part of the Eldar path, and one of the aspect shrines of Khaine. I've never seen a mention of Khaine in the Incubi fluff, and they certainly don't follow the Eldar Path any more. They're something wholely different with some trace similarities.
    Personally I'd have to disagree, I'd say Arha went to Comorragh and founded the Incubi with the tools and training he invented when he created the Scorpions, and they probably have some form of sinister objective in mind because they are unknowingly pawns of Chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    Personally I'd have to disagree, I'd say Arha went to Comorragh and founded the Incubi with the tools and training he invented when he created the Scorpions, and they probably have some form of sinister objective in mind because they are unknowingly pawns of Chaos.
    A striking scorpion is an eldar who has decided to take a few years out of playing the flute or something to follow the path of the warrior, is trained in a shrine by an exarch and will continue fighting for a few years then, unless they find they can't stop, will go and do something else.

An incubus is a full time warrior and bodyguard who has dedicated their extremely long life to combat mastery.

They can't even really be compared to exarchs, as exarchs have spirit stones which makes them more of a gestalt than a single being (hence why the phoenix lords have been around so long, they're not one person but an ever expanding group consciousness).

They may have been founded by the same person and use similar tactics and equipment, but that doesn't make them equivallent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

I never said they were Scorpions, only they were probably founded by the same guy as the Scorpions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Arhra as the founder of the incubi is a popular theory, one I personally think is cool, but it's not something I've ever found support for in the codex or published material.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

1. Dark Eldar do not worship Chaos. I have seen this all over the internet, and GW even allowed a book to be published (the Souldrinkers) that had DE worship Chaos. I fear the rewrite may have DE worship Slanish.
    As a Night Lord I feel your pain completely (we're now Black Legion in everything but paint scheme), but I think you have some reason to be optimistic. If Dark Eldar get a standalone Codex of a revision (very likely) then there's every chance that the current fluff will be copied into the update. Few of the Codex revisions we've seen lately contain new material other than descriptions of new units and characters. Conversely, if GW decides to do a combined Eldar Codex then DE will almost surely be made into Slaanesh-worshippers; it would be the obvious way to distinguish 'good' Eldar from 'evil' Eldar.

2. Dark Eldar are not Athiest. They CREATED a god, so why would they be Athiest.
    They created a god who eats them. Best excuse I've ever heard for not being religious!

as exarchs have spirit stones which makes them more of a gestalt than a single being
    I thought all (non-Dark) Eldar used spirit stones, and that their only purpose was to contain a soul for transference to the Infinity Circuit? Only Phoenix Lord armors have that gestalt thingy-function.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I thought all (non-Dark) Eldar used spirit stones, and that their only purpose was to contain a soul for transference to the Infinity Circuit? Only Phoenix Lord armors have that gestalt thingy-function.
    The difference is that upon a normal Eldar's death, their spirit stone is incorporated into the Infinity Spirit. An exarch's spirit stone is never removed from its armour, and therefore new souls keep getting added to the mix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast