Alphamarines and alpharius. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alphamarines and alpharius.

Whats the general opinion on the 13th?
    Are they still on the crusade set out to them 10,000 years ago to help the emperor and emperium by ending the suffering sooner rather than later? Are their acts of mayhem and destruction in a twisted way realy merceful?
    Did one of the two primarch twins survive? is he still leading alphalegion to this day?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

What do you mean the 13th? The Alpha Legion was the XX Legion (20th).

And remember that the Horus Heresy novels aren't necessarily canon, so no-one knows for sure if they even were two primarchs. If we do accept Legion as canon, then we don't even know if Alpharius turned on the Imperium for the Emperor at all; that was left ambiguous. He certainly had motive besides that for defecting to Horus, and maybe the Cabal just convinced him he could do either one.

As for whether or not they would still be working for the best interests of the universe by bringing down the Imperium and thereby the entire human race, who knows. We don't even know how many Alpha Legionnaires were told by Alpharius Omegon about his meeting with the Cabal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the hell i called them the 13th i dont know. Sorry about that.
    I know you have to take the heresy novels with a pinch of salt thats why i'd like to hear others opinions on the mater. If you's take the novels view or excisting history.
    I like to think theres something other than thier intense training keeping them together as a legion rather than just roving warbands.
    I do love the fact they are the only traitor legion to operate outside the eye of terror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    And remember that the Horus Heresy novels aren't necessarily canon, so no-one knows for sure if they even were two primarchs. If we do accept Legion as canon, then we don't even know if Alpharius turned on the Imperium for the Emperor at all; that was left ambiguous. He certainly had motive besides that for defecting to Horus, and maybe the Cabal just convinced him he could do either one.
    I choose to believe it has canon because;

1. it is totally freaking awesome.
    2. it explains EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsword
    Are they still on the crusade set out to them 10,000 years ago to help the emperor and emperium by ending the suffering sooner rather than later? Are their acts of mayhem and destruction in a twisted way realy merceful?
    It's not addressed. The Alpha Legions was notoriously secretive, even internally - squads operated as independent cells, often with no knowledge of the larger battle plan. So it's entirely possible that most of the Alpha Legion doesn't know that they're supposed to be loyalists. Alternately, they might have collapsed after Horus died, since that was basically the worst case scenario for their grand plan, and turned straight over to Chaos out of desperation. Alternately, they might still be playing both sides of the field with some new, hidden agenda (star child star child STAR CHILD).

Did one of the two primarch twins survive? is he still leading alphalegion to this day?
    Alpharius was believed to be killed by Gulliman (if I remember correctly.) But the Legion novel shows that Alpharius made regular use of decoys and imposters - explaining why he's been "killed" so many times - so it's possible, and in fact very likely, that Alpharius was not Alpharius. It might have been Omegon who died, or maybe it was Alpharius and Omegon took his place (even people inside the Legion didn't know that Omegon was Alpharius' twin). Or it might have been one of their bodyguard imposters and both of them are still running around.

Maybe he had some reason for poisoning Gulliman - who, it must be mentioned, went straight into stasis on Ultramar. I must note that this is the safest place for a Primarch to be if he wants to wait out ten thousand years, perhaps for some final apocalyptic battle of some sort. So maybe Alpharius didn't want to kill Gulliman at all! Maybe he just needed Gulliman somewhere safe and protected so he wouldn't martyr himself in the intervening millennia!

Put on your tinfoil hats and black suits. The truth is out there!
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my own opinion I believe that the Alpha legion is wholly corrupted, there's no bones about that IMO. Sindri Myr, DoW in general, and Arkos the faithless seem to point to that. I have a funny feeling that before Alpharius faced Roboute Gulliman, either one of the twins turned to chaos, killed his twin and turned the legion. IMO both primarchs are dead or like Lorgar-just chillin and some sort of council runs their actions, or they are irreparably fragmented into hundreds of bands. I get the feeling that they are designed to be nigh-indestructible, having both of their primarchs alive doesn't seem to do that vision justice. You'd never think a little tick is impossible to squish with your fingers until you have tried. I'd find it far more sinister if after both primarchs are dead the legion continues to operate flawlessly. Either that or both primarchs aren't dead, and just plotting their masterstroke when they can stroll down to Gulliman's stasis shrine and say, "Well, well, what's happened here Roboute? It seems your damn legion lost its home world. Mock me now!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Maybe he had some reason for poisoning Gulliman - who, it must be mentioned, went straight into stasis on Ultramar. I must note that this is the safest place for a Primarch to be if he wants to wait out ten thousand years, perhaps for some final apocalyptic battle of some sort. So maybe Alpharius didn't want to kill Gulliman at all! Maybe he just needed Gulliman somewhere safe and protected so he wouldn't martyr himself in the intervening millennia!
    !
    I'm sorry, but this is the first time I've been able to call poodle wrong on anything, but...Fulgrim poisoned Roboute, not Alpharius. Gulliman was merely forced back off the planet after 'killing' Alpharius.

As for my opinion, I'd say Gulliman really did kill Alpharius (or Omegon), and because of the one soul/two bodies deal, both died. Then, without Alpharius to guide them, the Alpha Legion split up and devoted itself to Chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marius the Possessed View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is the first time I've been able to call poodle wrong on anything, but...Fulgrim poisoned Roboute, not Alpharius. Gulliman was merely forced back off the planet after 'killing' Alpharius.
    I never really paid attention to Fulgrim.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarelbandito View Post
    In my own opinion I believe that the Alpha legion is wholly corrupted, there's no bones about that IMO.
    Agreed.. and I'm not sure why people have these ongoing fantasies about uncorrupted chaos marines. The only codex to make the Alphas less chaosey was the previous one, and even then it was because they worked outside of the eye of terror and couldn't rely on daemons. The word bearers were mark-limited in that codex as well and noone's questioning their commitment to chaos.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

I think because it adds depth to the characters. Someone who is innocent but believed to be guilty is much more interesting than someone who is just guilty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

And just wondering, is there any corroboration outside the HH novels of the whole Omegon thing? Or is that just something cooked up in the seething pits of pantsness that is the Black Library?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast