Warhammer 40,000 & North Korea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Warhammer 40,000 & North Korea

Has anyone else noticed the similaritys between 40k and North Korea? For those of you that don't know, North Korea is a necrocricy, a country ruled by a dead man. Kim-jong-ill is the countrys supreme military leader and it's effictive ruler but his dead farther is still the president. He declared his farther a god and created a whole religion around it. The new North Korean calander even starts on his farthers birth day.

Given the brutal, fascist regime and the whole "God Emperor" thing, I have to wonder if Kim-jong and his dad were 40k fans that took it a bit to far.

Thoughts, comments...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the similaritys between 40k and North Korea? For those of you that don't know, North Korea is a necrocricy, a country ruled by a dead man. Kim-jong-ill is the countrys supreme military leader and it's effictive ruler but his dead farther is still the president. He declared his farther a god and created a whole religion around it. The new North Korean calander even starts on his farthers birth day.

Given the brutal, fascist regime and the whole "God Emperor" thing, I have to wonder if Kim-jong and his dad were 40k fans that took it a bit to far.

Thoughts, comments...?
    I do see similarities. But it is not exactly that way out of greed or out of brutallity like NK is. But really out of necessity with all those threats and challenges. Also I think that this topic might be a bit political and not really for LO and its rules.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I think that this topic might be a bit political and not really for LO and its rules.
    Eh, it's just ment in good fun. Also, I can't think of a better forum to discuss 40k fulff coming true in real life than a 40k fluff forum.

But it is not exactly that way out of greed or out of brutallity like NK is
    I wouldn't say that, corruption and brutillity are a big part of 40k.

I just thought it was funny and I could strike up a good line of conversation with this thread.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

I do think there are definate similarities. And i certainly think the necrocricy is true. But in NK there is the supreme leader :Kim Il Sung as the emperor and Kim Jon Il as the dear leader... so who is the dear leader of the imperium. I think it is Roboute Guilliman. After the lore butchering which Matt Ward did on the spess mehreen codex he pretty much says that all space marines worship Guilliman second to the emperor. AND DID YOU KNOW HE MADE THE NECRONS HAVE A TRUCE WITH THE BLOOD ANGELS! THEY ARE LIFELESS MACHINES! AAAAHH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

so who is the dear leader of the imperium
    I always pictured him as the high lords of Terra. Nobles that rule in the name of the god emperor/dear leader that rules in the name of the god emperor.

AND DID YOU KNOW HE MADE THE NECRONS HAVE A TRUCE WITH THE BLOOD ANGELS! THEY ARE LIFELESS MACHINES! AAAAHH
    WTF? Where is that written and who do I kill for it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    I always pictured him as the high lords of Terra. Nobles that rule in the name of the god emperor/dear leader that rules in the name of the god emperor.

WTF? Where is that written and who do I kill for it?
    It is in the Blood Angels codex. The necron lord was called the "silent king" ... horribly cheesy and after both sides were tired of fighting eachother and killing nids (reason they called truce) then they just "went their separate ways" ... THEY ARE MACHINE MONSTERS BENT ON KILLING LIFE! THEY DO NOT GET TIRED AND BLOOD ANGELS SHOULD NEVER LET THEM "GO THEIR SEPARATE WAY" BECAUSE IT IS LIKELY AN IMPERIAL WORLD!!! DAMN YOU MATT WARD!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

It is in the Blood Angels codex
    I can't find that bit, can you give me the page number so I can rip out that page?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Pg 16, haha the Blood Angel's new codex is dreadful, they come across as angsty teens. They probably needed to go sleep in coffins and paint pictures of how black their tortured souls are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Korona View Post
    Pg 16, haha the Blood Angel's new codex is dreadful, they come across as angsty teens. They probably needed to go sleep in coffins and paint pictures of how black their tortured souls are.
    Wait... your vampire comparison made me think of something. Dear god. GW is more devious than i thought. The new space marine chapters? Space Wolves and Blood Angels. They are team jacob and team edward from twilight... DAMN YOU GAMES WORKSHOP AND YOUR SHREWD MARKETING PLOY!
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben View Post
    It is in the Blood Angels codex. The necron lord was called the "silent king" ... horribly cheesy and after both sides were tired of fighting eachother and killing nids (reason they called truce) then they just "went their separate ways" ... THEY ARE MACHINE MONSTERS BENT ON KILLING LIFE! THEY DO NOT GET TIRED AND BLOOD ANGELS SHOULD NEVER LET THEM "GO THEIR SEPARATE WAY" BECAUSE IT IS LIKELY AN IMPERIAL WORLD!!! DAMN YOU MATT WARD!
    That, I think, is actually GW laying the groundwork for an expansion of the Necron fluff in a future codex.

Thing is, in their current state as the numberless machine servants of omnipotent and ruthless star gods, Necrons are both a) boring and b) in the backstory, overpowered. They have no real weaknesses - they attack their enemies and then retreat and self-repair and repeat until there's nothing left. The army, as a whole, has no character; no-one in the list has a personality except for the C'tan. There's very little to emphasise with and even less room to make each player's Necron army distinct from the rest.

I think their solution to this - and you can find hints of it in the main rulebook - is to introduce a divisive element into the Necron background in the form of malfunctioning or semi-independent Necron lords who still retain bits of their living personality and don't necessarily work for the C'tan. There's a bit in the core book about a Necron lord leading an army that attacks a single Imperial planet every X years with mathematical precision, using the same plan of attack every time, to the extent that the Imperium knows that they're coming and can prepare years in advance - even deliberately stationing green Guardsmen there so that they can get target practice. The reason is pretty obvious; the Lord is bugging out. It both makes Necrons a little more interesting as a race and downplays the aura of hilariously over-the-top invincibility in their current codex.

That little bit about the "Silent King" is, I think, intended to introduce players to the idea that there might be independent Necron lords out there who aren't necessarily genocidal killing machines dominated by the will of their masters. Not only that, but they're sentient enough to recognise when it's a good idea to attack and when it's a good idea to make truce. It's not like Necrons can't talk - they've been shown communicating to tech-priests, and there's a Pariah in Dark Crusade who likes to taunt you. It might even set the scene for an enemy civil war within the Necron race that would help explain exactly why they haven't eaten the universe yet.

Frankly, I think the idea of independent Necron lords to be more interesting than "we shall slay all life in the name of the Star Gods" Necrons. It's like the distinction between "Chaos" as nameless, featureless traitor marines roaring out of the Eye of Terror to kill everything and "Chaos" as a disparate union of bickering warbands and legions led by colourfully evil special characters serving different gods with different goals and motivations. I like it, it could work.

On topic:

More than a little impossible, since the state was established a long while before 40k ever came into coherent form. The Kims do look like gigantic nerds, however.

I think the main reason I don't associate NK with the Imperium (any more than I do any brutal dictatorship with the Imperium) is because North Korea is kind of a joke. I mean, it's impossible to take Kim Jong-Il seriously. I'd like to think of the Emperor as a godlike badass, not a nerdy film fan in oversized glasses with serious self-esteem issues.

The Emperor might be a maniacal human supremacist dictator, but you can still admire him for being such a magnificent bastard. You can't help but think that he's achieved more in the naked pursuit of power than anyone ever did in the name of charity and virtue. By contrast, Kim Jong-Il has no redeeming qualities. He's not even a very good villain.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast