In the Grim Darkness of the far future... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

In the Grim Darkness of the far future...

How are gays regarded in the imperium? Despite our modern world making many strides to equality and equal rites there is still areas where it is illegal and threatened with lynching and death. So how is it in the imperium? Do they regard it at all? Is it about what planet you are on? Do they have bigger and far more heretical fish to fry? What do you fluff type people guys think?

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

I think the correct term that you're referring to is Homosexualism, it's a subject that I don't really think GW (or us hobbyists) would want to focus on, although 40k fluff does dwell heavily on brotherhood and comradeship but never any further than that to avoid stepping on ground sensitive to to people who like/dislike the subject. Personally, I think that there will be underground communities or pockets in the Imperial society who accept this as part of their daily lives, and the Inquisition/ Imperium does have bigger stuff to worry about such as the usual Aliens, Witches and Heretics.

For any of the larger communities entirely made up of Homosexuals, the =I= might throw a novice there for field training as well as to investigate why there are a large number of the individuals there in the first place...

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Of-course GW avoiding it would be understandable. But by judging the established fluff... would you say that the imperium would discriminate?
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Sex is a topic GW stays away from. Not very appropriate for getting parents to buy the game for their kids.
    Even though there is not concrete fluff on the matter, you can probably assume in depends on the world/populace. Just like now, some communities are very open minded, others are not. That is part of the human condition. You would have worlds/cities/hives where it is frowned upon, and others where it is accepted.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Nope, not at all. If you read "A thousand sons" theres an openly lesbian couple and.... nothing untowards happens to them because of it. At all, they just carry on and nobody bats an eyelid.

And lets be honest, as mentioned homosexuality is hardly going to be up there on the list of galactic problems.... not when youve got the grimdark horrors of 40k to worry about.

I have to admit im disapointed such a question has even come up. In a hobby when the focus is constant war and the fight to save the race of humanity, its sad to see that some people cant leave matters of sexuality well alone, they do not belong in the hobby and have no beneifit to being discussed as a part of it.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Cmon... the setting of fortykay is GRIMDARK... Im just curious about how GRIMDARK aspects of life for the average human is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with wondering Lyuben. I think you are right, it would depend on the planet. The Ecclesiarchy does allow a lot of leeway in how the Imperial Cult is expressed as long as it falls within the pale of Orthodoxy. Like, in the novel 'Faith and Fire', that particular planet worships on one holiday with blood sports that sicken the Sisters of Battle characters. So attitudes would probably vary from persons to persons, place to place.

Heirodule, do you also feel that the author of the Thousand Sons books shouldn't have featured a lesbian couple due to the game being about war and aimed at youngsters?

Have a great weekend all, hope you get some great gaming in!
    --- Frankie

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Francois View Post
    Heirodule, do you also feel that the author of the Thousand Sons books shouldn't have featured a lesbian couple due to the game being about war and aimed at youngsters?
    No not at all. I have absolutly no thought one way or the other to the sexuality of the couple, and to be honest, theres far FAR worse images in Thousand Sons than a mild bit of female to female interaction. I guess it added depth to the characters to an extent, but all it really did was set up a slight dialouge that explained a psychic power.

In this case, i do not belive Thousand Sons was aimed at the child market, that book was written for your adult/more mature reader, not small children and thus the inclusion is absolutly fine.

From a personal perspective i find that the subject simply does not need to be brought up. Children aside for a moment this is how i look at it. When your a genetic superhuman armed with a chainsword, does it really matter if the guardsman you just ripped in two was gay or not? Its all about how he died and the battle at hand, not such details such as sexuality.

I fail to see how sexuality mixes with 40k in any way, shape or form and to attempt to do so seems... i cant put my finger on it but... well wrong. Its a hobby about war, (again ignoring possible aim towards children) and IMHO things like sex, sexual preference, potential racism or anything like that simply dont belong, because they add nothing to the game. If an author wishes to include them, by any means go for it, but dont throw it in there for the sake of it.

/end rant
    Last edited by Heirodule; September 3rd, 2010 at 20:23.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Prejudice in the Imperium is all about the other races (Eldar and co) and to some extent, religion, rather than homophobia or skin colour. But it's rarely brought up in 40k since it's a game about war and it's not really necessary in a game that is aimed at everyone from 12 and up (and often played by kids younger than that).

The Imperium just makes everyone into a resource - you're all equal as long as you fall into line and do what your Imperial Overlords tell you to do. You don't kill a resource just because they have a darker tan than the other guy.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

I'd imagine it would be looked down upon in most societies as they need more meat for the grinder. Humanity is a resource after all.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast