Death Company BA in the Deathwatch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Death Company BA in the Deathwatch

I was wondering if there would ever be a BA member who has becoming "affected" by the Black rage and put into the Death Company of the BA and then be recruited by the Deathwatch?

or

If a BA is part of the Deathwatch, and during his duty there became "affected" by the rage.

Reason I am asking is I want to know if the BA typically keep these guys around as they are very suicidal, or if one becomes enrage, do they always go back.

Bottom line is, would me placing a Death Company Torso in the Deathwatch make since for fluff reasons? Opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

No, anyone who is affected by the Black Rage while in the Deathwatch is sent back (if they survive), and anyone who falls prey to it while still in their main chapter would NOT be accepted to fight with the Deathwatch, and in fact tend to be put down if they survive the conflict they're taking part in. Only the very pinnacle of a chapter's warriors are invited into the Deathwatch, so the same applies to overly feral Space Wolves, paranoid Dark Angels or Black Templars who could not restrain their hatred of psykers to serve along side them, etc.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

There is precedent. In the Mantis Warriors book (cant remember the title) a Blood Angels Librarian is part of a Deathwatch kill team and succumbs to the black rage whilst fighting a group of Zoanthropes. Its likely that he is killed during that action though, and as realitycheque mentioned, BA Deathwatch members who did succumb to the black rage would be immediately sent back or killed, they would have no chance to alter their armour.

But there is nothing particularly unique about Death Company armour, most of it would pass easily as blood angels armour painted black when the marine joined the deathwatch. The skull and cross motifs are fairly regular throughout all of my BA army, not just in the death company. I see no problem in using such a model.
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Ok, thats what I thought. Being the the DW is led by the inquisition and the whole erradicate mutants and heritics and crazies and such, given that BA, DA and SW have some variation of "mutany" or "heresy" (depending on how you look at it) I would definelty see them turned away.

Kinda sucks, b/c that would have been a cool model, and Im not completely up to speed on which chapters (other than Ultra) have mutations, wield rages, allinaces, hatred, etc... I have read the basics, but not specifics.

Thanks for the help realitycheque!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bhadaway View Post
    Im not completely up to speed on which chapters (other than Ultra) have mutations, wield rages, allinaces, hatred, etc..
    Dark Angels - a lot of paranoia and secrecy issues regarding the fallen dark angels and events during the heresy
    White Scars - nothing of note beyond a hate for the Dark Eldar.
    Space Wolves - Canis Helix - Enlarged canine teeth, wolfen.
    Imperial Fists - Lack Betcher's Gland & Sus-an Membrane. Obsessive.
    Blood Angels - Significant mutation - black rage.
    Iron Hands - Unhealthy love of bionics
    Ultramarines - nothing of note
    Salamanders - slower than normal reflexes (for a marine). Dark skin and bright/glowing eyes (over-active Malanochrome & environmental)
    Raven Guard - lack Mucranoid and Betcher's Gland. Mutated Melanchromic Organ results in pale skin and black eyes. The Raven Guard's genetic stock is considered irreparably damaged, it's gene-seed unstable - most genetic material for new recruits comes from stocks on terra.

Notable others :
    Black Dragons (origin unknown) - Significant bone growth (blades on head and arms)
    Lamenters (Blood Angels) - Lack the black rage, but suffer supernatural bad luck (good if you think your dice hate you)
    Flame Falcons (origin unknown) - Self immolation
    Sons of Antaeus (origin unknown, suggested ultramarine) - physically larger than normal space marines, suggested to have reinforced skeletons
    Mantis Warriors (origin unknown) - disfunctional Preomnor implant
    Blood Ravens (origin unknown) - Can't experience R.E.M. sleep, perfect recall
    Blood Drinkers (blood angels) - mutated Omophagea causing (literal) blood lust

The most serious mutations are amongst the descendents of the blood angels, space wolves, raven guard, and any of the cursed founding chapters.
    Most other geneseed is stable, if not always entirely functional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

If I'm remembering right as someone who hasn't read the latest BA fluff, I don't think the BA disclose to anyone (except their successor chapters) about the black rage and what it is. Certainly, I don't think they tell the Inquisition for fear of receiving the Space Wolf treatment and being stonewalled by every other Imperial institution like the dirty mutants they are. Also, even if it's generally known that blood angels are a bit loopy, without a sanguinary priest around how is anyone supposed to know how to treat the affected marine?

Given that, a marine who suffered from the black rage whilst on duty with the Deathwatch would probably be deemed to be suffering from combat stress or to generally have 'lost it' and would either be returned to his chapter or put out of his misery on the spot, likely with a small black mark set against the chapter for volunteering sub-standard recruits. The Deathwatch are kind of a black ops group for the Ordo Xenos, most of their missions are high precision and extremely secretive. Having a dude spazz out and go on a kill frenzy while on such a mission is a failure of discipline, win or lose.

Space Wolves and Dark Angels are fine (in fact, the old Index Astrates article shows a space wolf Deathwatch member). A Dark Angel might conceivably suffer a conflict of interest during his duty with the Deathwatch when it comes to questions of the Fallen and keeping the family secrets, but the chances of such a thing occurring are very low, and the chances of the marine in question blowing his cover or of anyone else detecting it are even lower. Only the really obvious mutants like the Sons of Anteus, the Black Dragons and the Flame Falcons (who were deemed divergent and all but wiped out for their mutations) are going to have real problems getting into the Deathwatch. Geneseed purity isn't an issue.. given the nature of their missions it's highly possible they will die and highly unlikely their geneseed will ever make it back to the chapter in the event they do. Extra long teeth aren't going to stop you killing aliens.

As mentioned though, Deathwatch recruits have to be really good.. the absolute best their chapter has to offer, and generally with hundreds of years of experience at fighting alien races. Marines are selected and volunteered due to skill at fighting aliens (as well as things the Deathwatch considers important, like stealth and bolter drill), any other factor is secondary. Not every chapter will even have Deathwatch veterans, especially if they haven't been involved in heavy fighting against aliens lately.

As far as the models go, other than the fairly generalized bone iconography, there doesn't seem to be anything terribly non-standard for blood angels on the Death Company models. I wouldn't have any problem with you using them. If worse comes to worst, just say the character is a sanguinary priest with responsibilities over the death company but doesn't have the black rage.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 4th, 2010 at 20:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The_Giant_Mantis is correct. The BA codex points out that the Blood Angels are very deliberate about who they allow to enter the Deathwatch for two reasons. The first reason is to not let anyone outside the Blood Angels actually see the Red Thirst/Black Rage firsthand. Many other chapters and the Inquisition suspect that something is wrong with the Blood Angels gene-seed at this point, but nobody has any evidence yet. The second reason being care for the Blood Angel in question. Those who fall to the Red Thirst or Black Rage are attended to by Sanguinary Priests and/or Chaplains, they would be denied this service if they were away from the their chapter when it happened. Because of this the Blood Angels only send those of the strongest willpower to ensure that nothing happens during the marine's secondment to the Deathwatch. I suppose the most obvious choice would be to send one of the Sanguinary Priests themselves, but they are too valuable to the chapter to send to the Deathwatch.

I suppose you could still place them in Death Company armor, maybe as a bit of trickery on the Blood Angels part. Send a sane marine in Death Company armor to the Deathwatch, to portray them as nothing more than a sort of veteran position, not an suicide squad.
    Last edited by Orblivion; November 4th, 2010 at 21:03.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Hmm... Orblivion that is quite trickey all right. I might od that. I will have a BA, just trying to decide how to model him. Anyway thanks for all the cool BA history. Good to know as I am runnig an RPG Deathwatch campagin and have a BA, was going to try and figure out the whole rage thing...something evil is cooking in my head...muhahahahah...
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

The dark angels paranoia is something the upper echelons of the chapter have.The rank and file marines have no clue as to what is been withheld from them.Even the ravenwing who specificaly targets the fallen most of the time know not what or who their querry is.
    So sending a few marines who have not been inducted to the truths of the chapter on deathwatch duty wouldnt be an issue.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    The dark angels paranoia is something the upper echelons of the chapter have.The rank and file marines have no clue as to what is been withheld from them.Even the ravenwing who specificaly targets the fallen most of the time know not what or who their querry is.
    I can't remember exactly when it is they get told, but I seem to remember something about it being when they get Terminator honours and thus become a veteran.

I find it incredibly unlikely that any marine would ever be seconded to the Deathwatch without first receiving terminator honours. We're talking absolute bare minimum baseline here. The Deathwatch is meant to be an elite.. maybe one in a hundred marines absolute maximum (depending on exactly how large the deathwatch is, and assuming its substantially above chapter size and cycles frequently) will have the privilege of serving there. It's definitely not something for the rank and file.

There's also no compulsion to send anyone. Marines aren't answerable to the Inquisition, there's no levy amongst chapters which means each has to give up a certain number of recruits. Chapters vie with each other to send their best marines to the Deathwatch because it's a great honour and those who come back tend to be fantastically accomplished alien killers. If the Dark Angels were at all worried, they just wouldn't send anyone.. which has probably been the case for most of their history.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 5th, 2010 at 06:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast