Lord Inquisitors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

Lord Inquisitors?

Hi guys

This question has been bugging me and my friends for a bit. Lord Inquisitors. So far as I'm aware, there is a Lord Inquisitor per segmentum for each Ordo. Maybe a few more sacttered around in volotile areas (Cadia and Armageddon for example)

Is there also a supreme Lord Inquisitor?

Or are we getting it horribly wrong?

Cheers guys

Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

You are I'm afraid..

The Inquisition isn't hierarchical. All Inquisitors have exactly the same powers, and technically none of them have any ability to command other Inquisitors. A lord Inquisitor is not actually responsible for any given area, he's just an Inquisitor who is known to be very good and whose opinion is recognized as important. It would be wierd for others not to defer to him in most things, but it's by no means obligated.

The Ordos are also more like informal groups dedicated to particular things.. there are all kinds of smaller ordos in between the big ones, and many Inquisitors who aren't aligned with any ordo at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Aye, "Inquisitor Lord" is less of a rank or a title than it is a recognition of that particular Inquisitor's influence and prowess - an "Inquisitor Lord" will have been at the job a long time, defeated most if not all foes the Imperium has, seen his acolytes rise to the rank of Inquisitor themselves, and built up a lot of favors and debts that he can call on if he needs to. Anyone who unilaterally tries to call himself that and command other Inquisitors is likely to vanish in rather short order.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

Erm...... im sorry

Inquisitor Lords are supirior in rank to Inquisitors, if you look into the Eiesenhorn series you will find this.

an Inquisitor operating in a certain Sector falls under the remit of said sectors inquisitor lord.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Horus Lupercal View Post
    Erm...... im sorry

Inquisitor Lords are supirior in rank to Inquisitors, if you look into the Eiesenhorn series you will find this.

an Inquisitor operating in a certain Sector falls under the remit of said sectors inquisitor lord.
    I have the same belief as the above.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Horus Lupercal View Post
    Erm...... im sorry

Agreed also, on numerous occasions Eisenhon refers to a lord Inquisitor being his immediate superior. Inquisitors are required to follow an lord inquisitors edicts and summons overall.
    "Reached under the bed and pulled out a Converse and a beer, I appear to of developed the miraculous power to turn shoes into beer!.... or beer into shoes." - Fallen Autarch after St. Patricks day.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

also read the fluff entry for inquisitor lord toqumada in codex deamon hunters.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Well.. Games workshop did release an entire game about Inquisitorial politics, and it was quite specific about this. But hey, whose arguing with the Black Library, they've never run roughshod over anything..

While I don't have it with me, I don't remember anything exceptional in Torquemada's fluff, could you be more specific there?

On a more general note, having an Inquisitor Lord able to directly command another Inquisitor runs against the entire purpose of the organization. That's not to say there aren't informal hierarchies within the Inquisition, but in general the purpose of creating a body of agents with unlimited power is that they have unlimited power and aren't bound up in following orders.

And really.. a Monodominant inquisitor has to answer to a crazy Xanthite just because he's wandered in the wrong sector? That's just stupid..
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 19th, 2010 at 15:57.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    On a more general note, having an Inquisitor Lord able to directly command another Inquisitor runs against the entire purpose of the organization. That's not to say there aren't informal hierarchies within the Inquisition, but in general the purpose of creating a body of agents with unlimited power is that they have unlimited power and aren't bound up in following orders.
    Not really; the Inquisition as an organization is free to do as it wishes, subject to the High Lords' wishes, but it would be foolish in the extreme if Inquisitors were never forced to answer to anybody about anything they ever cared to do. How could a fallen Inquisitor be held to account, save that a senior Inquisitor can overrule and condemn him? With no official, internal organization and policing, a Xanthite Daemon Prince Inquisitor with a rosette could tell everybody but a High Lord to fob off. An Isstvanian Inquisitor could give away Inquisitorial seals in cookie boxes and wait until only the best wannabe is left alive for him to recruit.

Besides, Inquisitors need to cooperate with each other to get their job done. Chaos is a galactic-sized threat; information is so important that most Lord Inquisitors don't even do fieldwork. They act as clearinghouses for sensitive info, advising and mentoring their juniors as much as ordering them around. The only thing worse than Imperial bureaucracy is no Imperial bureaucracy.

And really.. a Monodominant inquisitor has to answer to a crazy Xanthite just because he's wandered in the wrong sector? That's just stupid.
    That's jurisdiction for you. In any bureaucracy, people get assigned responsibilities and are then held accountable. Without jurisdiction, Inquisitor A could do stuff in Inquisitor B's area, mess things up horribly, and then casually walk away while Inq. B takes the heat...even though everybody knew A was the guy who actually did wrong, what counts in a bureaucracy is that B's name is on the paperwork.

The unpleasant corollary, of course, is that people get really defensive over their responsibilities...and so you get jurisdictional turf wars, like a Monodominant having to ask a Xanthite for permission to operate on his territory. Lights! Camera! POLITICS!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Internal policing in the Inquisition is as shrouded in secrecy as the Inquisition itself - if enough Inquisitors get together and decide another needs to be dealt with, then he is gone. No muss, no fuss This also applies to powerful figures in other Imperial organizations - technically they're subject to Inquisitorial authority, but in practice you need hard evidence, or the support of a number of fellows to deal with them, at which point they're dealt with in whichever method is deemed most politically suitable. If it's best for them to vanish or die in an 'accident', then that's what happens. If it's decided they need to be denounced publicly, then one Inquisitor, most likely the most senior, does it.

The Inquisition as a whole maintains bases and libraries (the most famous and important being the Malleus holdings of Saturn's rings and moons), but a heirarchy isn't present in anything resembling a traditional form, and most if not all Inquisitors maintain a network of private safehouses, front businesses, and agents. All Inquisitors are nominally equal, and this is the point. Even a junior Inquisitor, with evidence, can denounce and eliminate the most senior.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast