Dark Eldar Timeline - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Dark Eldar Timeline

Has anyone else noticed that the fluff in the DE Codex puts the Fall of the Eldar as "circa M31"? Could this be an oversight, or is it a major piece of retcon?

I had always understood the Fall to be before Mankind, or possibly the cause of Old Night. Surely its always been placed as quite some time before The Great Crusade, right?

"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds right to me. The birth of Slaanesh is what calmed the warp storms surrounding Terra and allowed the Emperor to begin the Great Crusade. The Great Crusade lasted around 200 years before Horus rebelled, so it all fits within M31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I'm not worried so much about whether it fits. its just that I've never read anything specific that would put it so "close" to the Crusade.

But come to think of it, it doesn't really fit. If the Eldar ruled the galaxy since before mankind travelled the stars, then how did humans initially expand out from Terra across nearly the entire galaxy?

Surely the Eldar would have had a little something to say about the 'mon-keigh' setting up colonies throughout their galactic empire...

I'm just saying that I had thought what I had read before put the Eldar events as happening far earlier. Others I know with an interest in fluff thought so too. Then again, that stuff didn't have dates or timelines.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    But come to think of it, it doesn't really fit. If the Eldar ruled the galaxy since before mankind travelled the stars, then how did humans initially expand out from Terra across nearly the entire galaxy?

Surely the Eldar would have had a little something to say about the 'mon-keigh' setting up colonies throughout their galactic empire...
    The area that is now the Eye of Terror was the Eldar empire, they had distant exodite colonies and seeded maiden worlds throughout the galaxy but their 'home terf' was located in the area swollowed by the warp on Slanesh's birth. They don't seem to have held the rest of the galaxy in any kind of iron grip, they held what was theirs but didn't realy care about the expansion of "lesser races" into teratory they had no stake in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

As I understand it, their empire was largely a technological one.. they hadn't spread across the galaxy because they just don't breed that fast and never had (they were planning controlled expansion through auto-terraforming maiden worlds). Their dominance of the galaxy was based on the fact that noone could even hope to oppose their awesome technology, not because they actually went out and enforced that claim.

Also, as I understood it the Eldar Empire was pretty fast burning. As soon as Eldar technology had overcome all possible challenges things got very decadent very fast, and went downhill from there very quickly.

I'd always put the fall at around M.28 myself, but I think they must have squished the Crusade forward a bit in recent fluff. It's not mind-blowingly stupid so I'll buy it.

The Exodite colonies only came right at the end though.. they were groups of Eldar hippies who saw what was going on and decided to get the hell out of the Empire before bad stuff went down. The Craftworlders were the unfortunate second wave fleeing persecution by the pleasure cults.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 25th, 2010 at 03:15.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    I'd always put the fall at around M.28 myself, but I think they must have squished the Crusade forward a bit in recent fluff. It's not mind-blowingly stupid so I'll buy it.
    Hasn't the great crusade always been set in M31? Was this different once upon a time?

I know the fall was right before the great crusade because it was slanesh's birth that blew away the warp storms restricting travel around Terra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just think how long M31 is. 1000 Years is a long time for the Fall of the Eldar, The Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy to happen but be better to look up the imperial dates in more recent texts
    Kabal of the Blood Shedders
    Relictors 3rd company

+ Reply to Thread