Viable Weapon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viable Weapon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Viable Weapon

Sorry about the onslaught of threads. I haven't been on librarium for a couple of months and I need to see if my ideas during that time make sense.

I've made some rules for a sword, a pretty awesome sword. It might be a force weapon that ignores invulnerables. Yes it is on a T3 not immune to instant death model with Ws5, 2 attacks to stop it costing 100000000pts. Anyway enough about the rules.

It is wielded by a (lord) Inquisitor. Here is the proposed fluff:

Sword of Angrathan
    Forged by the legendary Johain Smith from a rare mix of wraith-bone and a similar material of that found in the Cadian pylons, the Inquisitor Lord and her acquaintances imbued the sword with holy blessings to absorb the warp energy of any daemon the sword came into contact with. The sword is a legendary artefact, and many even dispute its existence. This is because it is one of the few weapons that can stop a daemon from reincarnating inside the warp.
    When the wielder sends a psychic current through the sword it is amplified by the daemons contained and allows the sword to instantly destroy anything it comes into contact with by absorbing its warp presence.
    The sword first gained its power when the original wielder stabbed a greater daemon through a closing warp-gate, allowing the sword to reopen the rift in a more controlled manner.
    Many consider the sword the item of a fanatic, seeing its utilisation of daemon energy, and some even attempted to destroy it. However, all failed.

In summary, it was designed to kill daemons by absorbing their warp energy (so ignores invulnerables as they are based off warp technology most of the time) and now works on crushing people's mind (by releasing the warp energy into it (mind crush)).

Viable? I know the sword does sound as mythical as Excalibur, but everyone knows that existed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

This should be in the 'Rules Development' forum. No problem, a mod will move it shortly.

Perfectly fine and exciting backstory there. You might drop the bit about wraithbone since it's the only reference to Eldar and so doesn't really contribute. The Inquisitor is obviously a Xanthite, a seriously out-there radical faction, so you'll want to take future fluff in that direction.

Many consider the sword the item of a fanatic, seeing its utilisation of daemon energy, and some even attempted to destroy it. However, all failed.
    Hmm...an orthodox Inquisitor nemesis here?

I don't know quite what you're looking for by way of actual rules for play but it sounds reasonably close to the Primaris Psyker. In fact, you might wait for the Grey Knights revision that is probably coming out soon; rumors indicate it actually will have a no-inv. force weapon in it.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

I posted it here because it's the fluff I'm concerned about, whether it is viable that such a powerful weapon exists, or if I'm doing the fluff-noob mistake of overpowering my special characters. Although if a similar weapon does come out in the Greyk Knight revision then I can just use those rules.

My Inquisitor is VERY radical, she believes in logic alone as the assessment of situations and has no morals whatsoever. Dropping the wraithbone also makes sense. Is there any material that is known to absorb warp energy/souls though (spirit stones is all I can think of), as that is the main reason for the force weapon bit?

Thanks for the idea about the nemesis, that could be pretty epic - especially as I have a friend who also plays daemonhunters.

Whilst I'm on the subject, would a radical Inquisitor be able to use Grey Knights or even SoB are would they declare her heretic and cleanse her with fire/holy bolters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The only solid issue I have is with your choice of materials. Wraithbone and living metal are almost polar opposites in function so the idea of mixing or alloying them is downright weird (especially since neither is actually a metal). Just use mundane materials, power against daemons usually comes from how a weapon is treated, not what it's made of (unless it's made of something holy like a fragment of armour from a living saint).

On a more thematic note.. they blessed it so that it absorbs daemonic energy? Does that really sound like something an Imperial blessing would do? Imperial blessings repel, banish or ward daemons, it's kind of weird to think of a holy relic being used to channel daemonic energy. Like, ridiculously weird.

The only canonical example of something similar is the Dreadaxe, which is a special type of daemon weapon. Ironically, absorbing the essence of daemons is pretty much limited to chaotic influence.

And up until now, radical Inquisitors have been prohibited from using Grey Knights. This might change in the new codex as it wasn't all that user friendly and GW seems to be on a roll of sacrificing fluff for game simplicity at the moment. However, the game pretty much defined radical as 'using forbidden equipment', so as long as your Inquisitor wasn't carrying a daemon weapon it was all cool ruleswise.

On a side note, wouldn't a completely amoral Inquisitor just fall to Chaos? What makes paying a billion lives for personal immortality anything other than logical?
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; December 22nd, 2010 at 02:10.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    On a more thematic note.. they blessed it so that it absorbs daemonic energy? Does that really sound like something an Imperial blessing would do? Imperial blessings repel, banish or ward daemons, it's kind of weird to think of a holy relic being used to channel daemonic energy. Like, ridiculously weird.
    Too weird? What if it was created to stop a unusually powerful daemon? And if she is radical, surely it is quite similar to a daemonhost in a way?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    On a side note, wouldn't a completely amoral Inquisitor just fall to Chaos? What makes paying a billion lives for personal immortality anything other than logical?
    Not quite sure what you mean. But she doesn't fall to chaos because:
    a). She recognises the madness for what it truly is
    b). She'd rather serve the Emperor than the Chaos Gods
    c). And anyway, the Imperium holds the universe, and failbaddon has never taken it. Surely that logically shows that chaos is rubbish.
    d). I could say she was nearly possessed when she was younger, and the pain of it was so great she never wants to live throught something similar again?

+ Reply to Thread