My IG army Fluff: 252nd Valysian - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My IG army Fluff: 252nd Valysian

Hey all, here's the fluff of my non traitor/chaos but non-Imperial Guard, have to make themthis way because my friend who I'll be playing against alot, decided to pick up the SMurfs. Now i'm not sure if I've got everything right with the timeline and with the official canon, but I hope so. if not please point out wat I did wrong .

During the ending of the Gothic War, the Cadian 252nd -"Thunderstruck"- were onboard a small fleet in pursuit of some ships of the forces of Chaos. For reasons still unknown the fleet got sucked into the warp, the fleet was recorded as lost.
    Years after the 13th Black Crusade, the 252nd gets thrown out of the warp, as sudden as they were sucked in. Now finding themselves near the Eastern Fringe, they sought to make contact with Imperial forces, who they found in the form of the Veridian guard on their home planet.
    The time in the warp had slightly altered the 252nd, and they now had a significant number of Psykers, but were spared the attention of the chaos gods.
    When the =][= finds out, they immediatley declare the 252nd as heretics, their long time in the warp, and their grown numbers of Psykers counting as evidence, and a small fleet is send from Veridian to destroy them.
    With some luck the 252nd manage to win the battle, but their crippled fleet is in need of supplies and repairs. They find a small planet, Valysian, and set foot there, the populace turns out to be simple farmers and factory workers who, while loyal to the Emperor, have a grudge against the Inquisition and the way His Empire is now being controlled.
    They offer the 252nd refuge, wich it gradly accepts, the planet has a small forge where weapons and ammunition is made and the 252nd is able to re-arm themselves.

A small regiment is sent from Veridian to deal with the 252nd, but while superior in numbers, the 252nd out smarted newly trained Veridians and utterly destroyed them after several weeks, "aquiring" new weapons and vehicles in the process.

The story of the 252nd Cadians , now renamed the 252nd Valysian, spreads and soon psykers and more people that dis-like the way the Imperium is run, but loyal to His Holy Wil, travel to the small planet and join the 252nd, bolstering there numbers and supplies.

Having fortified the, once peacefull, planet of Valysian the fleet departed, looking for a new, more safe home and more people to join their cause.
    Meanwhile the 252nd stand ready to defend their home from Xeno,Heretics and, to their grief, the Imperium.

So, what do you guys think? C&C moe then welcome and encouraged

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Sounds really good, like Soul Drinkers but... Imperial guard. Just remember, psykers when untrained can lead to chaos. and the inquisition is well... VERY unforgiving. I am willing to bet they have 3 space marine chapters and 50 guard regiments on their way to retake the planet.

Also have them join the Greater Good. Then your planet would be best (just kidding lol)
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the Inquisition won't let it rest (EXTERMINATUS! lol). but as i says in the end: they are looking for a new safe home (or atleast relatively safe, it's the grim darkness of the far future after all).but it also explains why the SMurfs are coming after them. :-).about the chaos psykers: nothing a bolt to the head doesn't solve, the officers keep a close eye on the psykers ;-).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

I know you're doing this for convenience reasons, but the fluff follows that line a little to closely; it seems contrived and a little too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Jones View Post
    During the ending of the Gothic War
    This wording is a little awkward. It'd be easier to say "at the end of the Gothic War". It might also be worth thinking about where they' were next due to be posted; Guard regiments rarely go home, as far as I know.

The time in the warp had slightly altered the 252nd, and they now had a significant number of Psykers, but were spared the attention of the chaos gods.
    This is possibly my biggest beef with this; suddenly becoming a psyker is bad news for the nascent psyker and all those within a large radius of them. It's not neat and tidy, even when dæmons aren't involved. Dark Heresy describes it as the end of a character if it happens, as they'll either be destroyed by the force they now wield or be hunted down. Sanctioned psykers are sanctioned for a reason: unsanctioned ones are very dangerous.

And as far as the bolt-to-the-head argument is concerned, it's hard to do when your target sudden erupts in a cloud of crackling eldrich fire, or something similar. When they go wrong, they can be very dangerous.

When the =][= finds out, they immediatley declare the 252nd as heretics, their long time in the warp, and their grown numbers of Psykers counting as evidence, and a small fleet is send from Veridian to destroy them.
    When did the Inquisition find out? And how?

With some luck the 252nd manage to win the battle, but their crippled fleet is in need of supplies and repairs. They find a small planet, Valysian, and set foot there, the populace turns out to be simple farmers and factory workers who, while loyal to the Emperor, have a grudge against the Inquisition and the way His Empire is now being controlled.
    If they're simple farmers and factory workers they'll likely buy the Ecclesiarchy line wholesale, and so be easily turned against the regiment if they say "we like the Emperor but don't like the Imperium." Precious few Imperial citizens can tell the difference between the two. And why would the regiment tell them they're rebelling in the first place? Surely it'd be easier to announce they were arriving on Imperial authority (although this would be problematic in itself) and keep them onside that way? And when threats come round the corner, they point the finger and say "no, they're the traitors!" If they get on well with the populace, they'll (probably) side with the regiment they know rather than the regiments they don't.

the planet has a small forge
    It'd take more than a forge to do that. Factory-city is probably closer the mark, with the attached Machine Cult presence, even if there's no actual AdMech devotees.

The story of the 252nd Cadians , now renamed the 252nd Valysian, spreads and soon psykers and more people that dis-like the way the Imperium is run, but loyal to His Holy Wil, travel to the small planet and join the 252nd, bolstering there numbers and supplies.
    How does word spread? It's very likely that when this interplanetary message is picked up on the Imperium will turn and crush everyone involved. Keeping it quiet and still broadcasting is hard work.

Having fortified the, once peacefull, planet of Valysian the fleet departed, looking for a new, more safe home and more people to join their cause.
    Why are the fleet involved? The Imperial Navy and the Imperial Guard are separate organisations and have been since the Heresy, with neither having jurisdiction over the other. It'd take a larger treachery than just the regiment for this to happen.

And why are they advertising their heresy? It's like the A-team; while on the run from the government, needy families can somehow find them and ask for help. This isn't easy when your black van is the size of a fleet and you're telling people where to go to find refuge. I'd imagine they're more concerned with just staying alive.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of cold water, it's not meant to be. It might just need fleshing out to detail all the adversity they'll be facing. But as it stands, things seem to have gone a little too well for this bunch of rogue guardsmen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

You could adapt it so they are a fleet based regiment thing. So they travel around on ships (harder to get caught) and they recruit from random backwaters in the imperium with annoyed guardsmen. Would solve issue of recruitment and of getting caught by imperium
    “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The fluff, um, really doesn't work. It pretty much fits the "we're tired of all the evil going on and want to build a better tomorrow" category and that doesn't fit in 40k. And while I know you don't mean things this way, as the fluff stands this is a textbook case of Chaotic corruption. Contamination by the Warp, then acceptance of psychic and other-worldly phenomena as useful and/or normal, then turning against the Imperium "for good reasons" (half of the Traitor Legions had good reasons), and finally teaching all of this to others and forming an organized resistance.

Maybe the regiment simply adopted Valysia as their new homeworld and appreciated the peaceful, agrarian way of life there after the horrors of the Gothic War? That way, they wouldn't be rebels on the fast track to a purge.

Alternatively, you can build a lot of IG fluff around individuals and their (dysfunctional?) personalities. Who's the colonel, how do they haze the new guys, what is the Commissar's dark secret and are they willing to accept the Mk XIV-Type 2c grenade launcher instead of the venerable Type 2b(iii) variant? That might be a better direction to go in.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xerxes
    I know you're doing this for convenience reasons, but the fluff follows that line a little to closely; it seems contrived and a little too easy.

Originally Posted by Cpt.Jones
    During the ending of the Gothic War

This wording is a little awkward. It'd be easier to say "at the end of the Gothic War". It might also be worth thinking about where they' were next due to be posted; Guard regiments rarely go home, as far as I know.
    Good point, shall be changed.

This is possibly my biggest beef with this; suddenly becoming a psyker is bad news for the nascent psyker and all those within a large radius of them. It's not neat and tidy, even when dæmons aren't involved. Dark Heresy describes it as the end of a character if it happens, as they'll either be destroyed by the force they now wield or be hunted down. Sanctioned psykers are sanctioned for a reason: unsanctioned ones are very dangerous.
    And as far as the bolt-to-the-head argument is concerned, it's hard to do when your target sudden erupts in a cloud of crackling eldrich fire, or something similar. When they go wrong, they can be very dangerous.

The regiment has fought in the Gothic War and roved the warp, they have seen their share of Warp spawned Horrors, and someone errupting in a cloud of crackling eldrich fire (what is that? it sounds pretty awesome.) would make everyone in his/her surrounding crap their pants. and supsicious yellow-looking puddles of liquid would emerge near some guardsmens feet, but their reflex would still be to shoot the crackling thing. Or atleast thats what I believe.
    I really like the idea of Psykers, and I plan to use a fair share of them in-game, and I can't think of another reason why they got an unusual amount of Psykers..

When did the Inquisition find out? And how?

The 252nd seeks contact with the Veridians after emerging from the warp, surely someone there alerted the Inquisition.

If they're simple farmers and factory workers they'll likely buy the Ecclesiarchy line wholesale, and so be easily turned against the regiment if they say "we like the Emperor but don't like the Imperium." Precious few Imperial citizens can tell the difference between the two. And why would the regiment tell them they're rebelling in the first place? Surely it'd be easier to announce they were arriving on Imperial authority (although this would be problematic in itself) and keep them onside that way? And when threats come round the corner, they point the finger and say "no, they're the traitors!" If they get on well with the populace, they'll (probably) side with the regiment they know rather than the regiments they don't.

That would indeed be better, or an alternative I had in mind was to let the planet be deserted, the Tyranid having devoured all matter of life, but leaving the buildings more-or-less intact (the fighting surely has caused damage to the structures, but some should be in some form of working order.) From what I know, Hive Fleet Behemoth went besek in the Eastern Fringe right? even giving the UM problems and was the reason for the end of the Imperiums crusade vs. the Tau?

the planet has a small forge

It'd take more than a forge to do that. Factory-city is probably closer the mark, with the attached Machine Cult presence, even if there's no actual AdMech devotees.

See Tyrannid idea: the stuff to do it with is still there, just not the people to do it with, so they'll have to do it themselves (which makes for some crappy forged stuff I believe..but thats another problem). Im just not sure if, after the Tyranids do their thing on a planet, the Imperium just let it be, or go back and utterly destroy the planet from Orbit.

How does word spread? It's very likely that when this interplanetary message is picked up on the Imperium will turn and crush everyone involved. Keeping it quiet and still broadcasting is hard work.

Surely someone working on/for the fleet that got hammered in the docks spreads the word of their mission, if not during the mission, after their destruction? even in the dark and shitty world of Warhammer 40k, there is gossip.. i think

Why are the fleet involved? The Imperial Navy and the Imperial Guard are separate organisations and have been since the Heresy, with neither having jurisdiction over the other. It'd take a larger treachery than just the regiment for this to happen.

The fleet was sucked in the warp, regiment on board, why would the Inquisition accuse the regiment of heresy but not the fleet? they are in the same shit and decide to help each other out.

And why are they advertising their heresy? It's like the A-team; while on the run from the government, needy families can somehow find them and ask for help. This isn't easy when your black van is the size of a fleet and you're telling people where to go to find refuge. I'd imagine they're more concerned with just staying alive.

Thats a good poin, though I do imagine they are trading whatever they have for something they desperatley need, or are searching for a better place to rebuild their lives.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of cold water, it's not meant to be. It might just need fleshing out to detail all the adversity they'll be facing. But as it stands, things seem to have gone a little too well for this bunch of rogue guardsmen.

Its a punch in the face, but Í rather have a solid background story for my Guards, then have my ego celebrating, I'll save that after the completion of the fluff
    Lyuben
    You could adapt it so they are a fleet based regiment thing. So they travel around on ships (harder to get caught) and they recruit from random backwaters in the imperium with annoyed guardsmen. Would solve issue of recruitment and of getting caught by imperium
    though the idea of them roaming around is a very tempting one, I can't imagine them keeping it up for long, you can't outrun the Imperium forever, not unless you hide in the warp every now and then, which will make them tainted, and I dont want that. And it would be difficlt to explain how the UM (who I'll be playing against most of the time.) keeps on finding the regiment but waits for them to go planetside instead of blasting the fleet apart.
    But maybe I'm seeing problems that are easily solved but can't see that myself.

Intrepid
    The fluff, um, really doesn't work. It pretty much fits the "we're tired of all the evil going on and want to build a better tomorrow" category and that doesn't fit in 40k. And while I know you don't mean things this way, as the fluff stands this is a textbook case of Chaotic corruption. Contamination by the Warp, then acceptance of psychic and other-worldly phenomena as useful and/or normal, then turning against the Imperium "for good reasons" (half of the Traitor Legions had good reasons), and finally teaching all of this to others and forming an organized resistance.

Note that they do not want to fight against the imperium, they want to get back in the Imperium, the Inquisition just isn't being cooperative.
    And though they do not like fighting against Imperial forces, their will to stay alive outweighs it and so they defend themselves from attacks. They do not have any plans on bringing the Imperium down or anything.
    they also haven't got the manpower to turn everyone that offers help away, they need more men at arms.

Maybe the regiment simply adopted Valysia as their new homeworld and appreciated the peaceful, agrarian way of life there after the horrors of the Gothic War? That way, they wouldn't be rebels on the fast track to a purge.

I dont really get this: they adopt Valysia as their new homeworld, and decide they want to be farmers and tell the Imperium to GTFO? isn't that exactly what you just objected against? could be that I'm misreading though.

Alternatively, you can build a lot of IG fluff around individuals and their (dysfunctional?) personalities. Who's the colonel, how do they haze the new guys, what is the Commissar's dark secret and are they willing to accept the Mk XIV-Type 2c grenade launcher instead of the venerable Type 2b(iii) variant? That might be a better direction to go in.

That part gave me a headache, I dont understand what you mean by it..
    Thanks all for the (harsh) omments and criticis, my ego took a small dent, but it will survive. I really want a solid (fluff) base for my regiment and expand from there, I'll take the battles I'll play into my fluff (as in: I'll write a fic about my regiment and will wrtie about the games I've played as actual battles fought). So a good starting point is important.

Maybe the tyranid thing is a good alternative?
    any other ways apart from long warp exposure that explains lots of Psykers and gives the Imperium a reason to "purge" the regiment? without making the regiment actually chaos.

again: thanks all for the reply's have some rep
    edit: sorry all for the typos, using an old piece of brick that needs to be bashed with my fists for it to actually type what I want.
    Last edited by Leafblower; March 4th, 2011 at 15:19. Reason: bloody typos, remind me to get a proper keyboard..=_=

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

The tyranid thing is a nice idea, but sadly not very fluff accurate :/ When tyranids consume a world, theres NOTHING left. Planets once teaming with life become barren, hive worlds turn into giant golfballs in space. You wouldnt have buildings or anything like that. Buildings are made of metal, and metal can be used to build more bugs. Its got to be consumed!! Like the story though, looking forward to reading it when done.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Jones
    Alternatively, you can build a lot of IG fluff around individuals and their (dysfunctional?) personalities.

That part gave me a headache, I dont understand what you mean by it.
    I get the feeling that you're trying to make your regiment significant on a galactic scale, and one doesn't need such broad brush strokes to make his army special. You can do a lot by focusing on the details, especially with Guard.

For example, let's revisit my 'agrarian fondness' idea, which I didn't flesh out well in my last post. Remember that Cadia doesn't even have the concept of "civilian life", right? Suppose the 252nd developed the practice of temporarily disbanding in the summertime to help with the Valysian farmers' harvests, and they only hold basic training in the winter when farm chores are light. After the horrors of the Gothic War, brutal even by Imperial standards, such a relaxed rhythm of life might be very therapeutic for the 252nd...and give them a reason to stay instead of returning to Cadia.

As for personalities. Does your Guard General get along with the Naval Admiral of the transport flotilla? Does he want to go into semi-retirement on Valysia while the Navy wants to return to the Gothic Sector? Does he ask them to keep their staying behind a secret, or does he try to sabotage/commandeer some starships? Do the starships even work well after that disastrous Warp transit? What other forces were being shipped along with the 252nd, and how do they react to the 252nd's decisions? (This could be how the 252nd ends up with a lot of sanctioned psykers.)

I'm still not sure how the 252nd could have a falling-out with the Inquisition, or still be alive afterwards. The average Inquisitor can frag a Guard regiment before breakfast. Most have. And they can almost always justify doing so. I strongly recommend having a nemesis Inquisitor instead of having the 252nd be on the entire Inquisition's "short list". It's more manageable, more believable, and, well, more personal. Fluff needs to be personal, needs to put faces on that "just another regiment". I guess that's why I'm big on personalities.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

someone errupting in a cloud of crackling eldrich fire (what is that? it sounds pretty awesome.) would make everyone in his/her surrounding crap their pants. and supsicious yellow-looking puddles of liquid would emerge near some guardsmens feet, but their reflex would still be to shoot the crackling thing.
    Of course. It would be most people's response. But most people can't do that when the first hint they've had of it is the flash of fire that vaporises them. Or that their hands are suddenly mackerel. Putting down emerging psykers isn't like shooting a vicious dog. Seriously bad stuff goes down, and it's not a matter of the will to kill them not being there, but the capability.

And that's not counting the fact that most untrained psykers probably won't resist dæmonic possession very well at all.

Incidentally, "eldritch" means "weird, spooky", apparently derived from the old English for "elf realm" (ælf-rīce). I tend to use it mean "magically weird/mysterious".

The 252nd seeks contact with the Veridians after emerging from the warp, surely someone there alerted the Inquisition.
    Maybe, but the Inquisition doesn't tend to run community contact centres. It's more a matter of rumours getting back to an Inquisitor, who then investigates and possibly acts.

an alternative I had in mind was to let the planet be deserted, the Tyranid having devoured all matter of life, but leaving the buildings more-or-less intact (the fighting surely has caused damage to the structures, but some should be in some form of working order.)
    Just to reiterate; the tyranids leave barren rocks behind, nothing useable at all. When tyranids consume planets whole ecosystems evolve and break down as part of the process. It's not like a neutron bomb.

even in the dark and shitty world of Warhammer 40k, there is gossip
    Yes, but on a severely limited level. Interplanetary gossip is very rare, as hardly anyone (comparatively speaking) travels between planets, or sends messages. Remember that all interstellar communication has to be done by astropaths (which, granted, most ships have as a matter of course), which tends to limit "gossip" to certain locations.

The fleet was sucked in the warp, regiment on board, why would the Inquisition accuse the regiment of heresy but not the fleet? they are in the same shit and decide to help each other out.
    Fair point.

Thats a good point, though I do imagine they are trading whatever they have for something they desperatley need, or are searching for a better place to rebuild their lives.
    Which would suggest a roving regiment, as it were, rather than one with a single homeworld. But that point does still stand; if they're engaging in large-scale black markert/low level interplanetary trade, then they could bump into those who think similarly.

though the idea of them roaming around is a very tempting one, I can't imagine them keeping it up for long, you can't outrun the Imperium forever, not unless you hide in the warp every now and then, which will make them tainted, and I dont want that.
    Roaming around, constantly shifting locations is a better way to keep alive against a large military machine rather than staking your claim to a particular place and building a fort there. Look at the way guerrillas work.

any other ways apart from long warp exposure that explains lots of Psykers and gives the Imperium a reason to "purge" the regiment? without making the regiment actually chaos.
    Not sure... my immediate thought is that they just had a large number of sanctioned psykers deployed with the regiment in the first place and then had a large chunk of their officer corps killed off and so the psykers had to step into the breach due to their ex-officio status (although I'm not sure they have any in the Guard command structure...). So it's not that there's suddenly a larger number of psykers present, rather that they're a disproportionately large part of the regiment's command structure. Psykers given that sort of power would definitely raise a few questions with the Ecclesiarchy, if not certain inquisitors. The excuse of "It's all a Tzeenchian plot" (which it very well could be) springs to mind.

And on a tangent, inquisitors need more love, people! They're fighting to protect the Emperor's soul! And they're not all raving religious zealots. To quote a passage from the Inquisitor game, “The Inquisition does not need unfeeling machines, it needs reasoning men who have the courage to enforce their convictions.”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast