Wodering propably questions i must not. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Wodering propably questions i must not.

Karl la Roche's thread about those genetically engineered orcs( )had me rereading the whole orc fluff from orc codices i amassed during my involvent with 40k(and believe me i have some good old stuff such as Waaagh da orks or 'ere we go).

A thought occured to me that id like to hear some opinions about.

Lets imagine that for some reason the admech starts studying the orc genome,decodes it and comes across what gives the orcs their genetic memmory,you know the 'i know how to build that thing even though i dont know what engineering means'.

Lets imagine that they can do it right too and dont produce abominations and that the inquisition decides that this would be good and they dont stop the endeavour.

After fumbling a bit with some geneseed they manage to induse said ability and produce a chapter that:Needs no indroctrination or training for combat,technology and medicine.

What would you think the difference that would make in the status quo of power among the races or even inside the empirium?

Would it be a minor thing that will give a small boost to the imperials or will it be insignificant in the long run?

How other chapters would see it?Would they treat their new brothers as tainted or the next step in marine evolution?Would the old marines that the imperium turns them down for the new ones?

Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    After fumbling a bit with some geneseed they manage to induse said ability and produce a chapter that:Needs no indroctrination or training for combat,technology and medicine.
    The imperium can and do already implant memories through a number of different technologies - psychic manipulation, implants, nano-viruses, and various other devices and techniques.

Techmarines get one form of it, marines likely get some of it too - but much of a marine's training is not learning so much as proving themselves and 'growing into' their implants. There is no issue of a marine having the required combat skills when they are sent out in battle, and most tech knowledge is deliberately held back.

One problem with ork genetic knowledge is that it doesn't contain anything of imperial technology - it won't teach a person how to service a bolt gun or power armour but rather the subset of technology implanted into the orks (and the ad-mech would be far better off pursuing the jokaero strands anyway). The other problem is that the ork's nature - both psychological and psychic is likely closely tied to the same manufactured DNA.

You should keep in mind that the imperium is already capable of producing 'better' marines - for instance they produce tiny portable shield generators by the billions but only a handful are given to marines, the rest are handed out to foaming at the mouth madmen because they are a symbol - just as marines are a symbol. The imperium is deliberately, intentionally stagnant. They don't make better marines because they choose not to.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Yeah iknow what you say.

Ill be clearer.I dont mean to implant marines with ork tech knowledge.But imperial knowledge,yes the ability to service boltguns counts and ofc not to make every marine a tech savant.Thats genetic engineering is for right?To alter genes and produce usefull effects.Things needed for each ones place:A complete medical record for the apothecaries for instance.

I know that they do it because they dont choose so but i wanted to take opinions on what would happen if all those bariers stopping them were eliminated.

I hope this post made any sense i need to go to sleep!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Well...it would mean civil war, if that happened. The Imperium is incredibly racist (as in human-supremacist). Modifying humans with alien biology would anger a great many of the powers that be, from conservative Ordo Xenos guys to rabid Imperial Cult priests. People who happily kill aliens on simple reflex would surely not tolerate the genetic equivalent of Astartes interbreeding with Orks, no matter the benefit.

The closest thing I can think of to what you propose is the Exorcist Marines' habit of using temporary daemonic possession as part of their training. Even though it's sanctioned, they have to keep silent about the practice; many, many Imperial agents would hate and fear them for doing so, and (to be honest) with very good reason.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

It would be interesting to say the least..

I mean look at how ork technology works. Oddboyz are called oddboyz for a reason, because the racial knowledge they have access to makes them completely insane. Ork technology, while generally genius in a way which would make the A-team wake up with sticky sheets, is inefficient, self destructive and tends to have all kinds of unintended consequences. Ork medicine is basically a case of chopping limbs off and sticking new ones on (and occasionally wondering what would happen if you replaced someone's brain with a squig). Ork combat is generally a case of either charging at the enemy and shouting or comparing how loud your guns are. For orks, these are not problems. Orks are a renewable resource, if a bunch of them die horribly due to bizarre tech failures, malpractice or poorly timed suicide rushes there will be more to fill the gap.

Humans, let alone space marines, have to go through all that breeding and raising crap which takes ages anyway. Teaching them how to point a gun is a very small part of the overall burden, especially if it means they can do it safely and without being bat-crappingly insane. Genetic memory is clearly not a precise science, neither would you particularly want it to be unless you want your soldiers to be completely mediocre and incapable of learning anything new. The random firings of orky intuition seem to be what produces a lot of the best results anyway.

Sure, you could say they fixed these problems. But that kind of relies on the AdMech being better at designing warrior races than the old ones. I'm not seeing it.

EDIT:

That said though, orky marines have a certain appeal..

"Chaerg!"
    "Hang on, I needz a new arm, anyone got any staples?"
    "Hey lads. Check out dis tellyporter I made. It'll get us into the fight well quick!"
    *squishing sound of a marine tactical squad turning inside out*
    "Gah.. needz some work. Oh well... Chaerg!"

Basically, I'm not saying it wouldn't work. Only that there are likely to be unintentionally hilarious consequences.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; May 3rd, 2011 at 19:54.

+ Reply to Thread