Dark Angels Army Characters and Fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Dark Angels Army Characters and Fluff

Good Afternoon All,
    If things go to plan, I will be including little bits of fluff for my Marine Force(s). I'll probably devote a post to a character or unit at a time. (Some might even have home-brew or co-opted special rules).

For today, I have included Both Sandalphon and Metatron. They were brothers on one of the Dark Angel recruiting worlds, andtheir strength and devotion to one another saw them both inducted into the astartes. Even though Metatron has advanced further than his brother, they have earned their accolades in other ways. Sandalphon is a sergeant, but in one of thelower squads. He's happy with his place, as he prefers to be on the front lines, not contemplating subtle and nuanced tactics.

Company Master Metatron.jpg

1st Sergeant Metatron of the Deathwing
    "Life is measured not in years, but by the deeds of men."

Though he is not the master of the first company, he has been known to lead deathwing strike forces when Grand Master Belial is otherwise engaged.
    He is the Birth-Brother as well as Battle-Brother of Sandalphon.
    Notable Engagements:
    • As an initiate, he was injured saving his squad sergeant during a battle with the Kabal of the Phantom Moon. 897M41
    • Led a Kill-Team on a mission aboard the Space Hulk Dark Star. 904M41
    • Battled the ork warboss GutzDakka on the hive world of Nominex-IV. 916M41
    • Served in a Deathwatch unit on the Eastern Fringe. 922-935M41
    • Earned an Iron Halo for the assault of Cavernhive, a subterranean hive city, with an 11% casualty rate. 948M41
    • Inducted into the Deathwing following the Scouring of Tarsis. 984M41
    • Fought alongside an Angels of Absolution strike force on the blighted fortress world of Kasr Partox. 999M41

Metatron can function as Belial in a Dark Angel army, or as a Terminator Captain in a Space Marine army. Typically, he is a sergeant of a deathwing assault squad. (I am tempted to use him as 'Commander Culln' with the Forge World rules. [I believe IA3])

Company Master Sandalphon.jpg

Sergeant Sandalphon of the Deathwing
    “Fear is naught for my faith is strong.”

Sandalphon rose to become a member of the Deathwing through his stubborn refusal to give quarter and his unwavering faith in the Emperor.
    Sandalphon is the Birth-Brother as well as Battle-Brother of Metatron.
    When recruited, he fought back-to-back with his brother, and the chaplain presiding viewed it as a weakness. When ordered to slay his brother, Sandalphon struck the chaplain unconscious instead. It was only the intervention of the master of the 5th company that stayed the Chaplain’s hand when he awoke.
    He is aware that there are many in the chapter who are more proficient at tactics, but few who match his devotion to the chapter.
    Sandalphon spent a long time in the scout company due to his temper and instances of ‘willfulness’, but had a meteoric rise from full brother to member of the Deathwing. Some among the Chapter even whisper that his rise was too quick.
    Notable Engagements
    • Member of Kill Team aboard Space Hulk Dark Star. 904M41
    • Did battle against an Ulthwe strike force on the moon of Vadaien, a protectorate of the Dark Angels. 929M40

Sandalphon can serve as a Terminator captain, but is often the sergeant of a deathwing assault squad. Typically protecting the apothecary (in a deathwing army) or The captain (Metatron or Belial

I want to maybe get some ideas to expand their fluff, and make sure I am not over the top. Especially the timelines. Have they done too much in too little of a time frame?

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I noticed the time frame problem before I even read the end of your post. You have Metatron going from initiate to serving in a deathwatch unit in just 36 years, waaayy to fast. Anything less than 100 years is a bit silly.

Other than that, great start. Maybe flesh out a few of the battles you've already gave them, don't forget to give them a few defeats too.

A good thing you could explore is their brotherly bond vs duty to the chapter/burden of command. While they were fighting side by side, watching each others backs, fighting for each other and fighting for the chapter/mission would have been pretty much the same thing.
    But what happened when Metatron first got promoted over his brother? Every commander knows he may be required to order the men under his command to their deaths, it's part of the burden of command. As brothers they both knew they may be called upon to march to their deaths, what happens when the time comes, when he must order his brother to his (possible/likely) death?

SkyDog
    In the 41st millenium there is no such thing as paranoia, the universe realy is out to get you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    I noticed the time frame problem before I even read the end of your post. You have Metatron going from initiate to serving in a deathwatch unit in just 36 years, waaayy to fast. Anything less than 100 years is a bit silly.
    Well, how long would it normally be between a promising up-and-comer to be seconded to the Deathwatch? He isn't inducted into the DeathWING until much later. (well sorta later). If I added 50 years to each date, would that be more in line?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
    A good thing you could explore is their brotherly bond vs duty to the chapter/burden of command. While they were fighting side by side, watching each others backs, fighting for each other and fighting for the chapter/mission would have been pretty much the same thing.
    But what happened when Metatron first got promoted over his brother? Every commander knows he may be required to order the men under his command to their deaths, it's part of the burden of command. As brothers they both knew they may be called upon to march to their deaths, what happens when the time comes, when he must order his brother to his (possible/likely) death?
    It's definitely something I have thought about. I'm planning on that aspect of the story being enacted as I play more games with them. For now, I am getting them to where their adventures begin. As I play games with them, I will jot-down notes to add and expand to the fluff.

Who knows...They may not last very long.

I really appreciate your input.

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

DeathWING/DeathWATCH. My mistake, I should have payed better attention.

As for the age, a marine would be considered for promotion to 1st company vet at about 150-200 years old.

Remember, the average life span for a marine (not counting Blood Angels) is about 400 years. Anything less than 50 years and you're still considered a rookie, you aren't even considered 'experienced' until about 100.

The fact is, veteran marines with 300 years of combat experience set the bar pretty high, some noob, less than 100 years old, isn't going to meet the standard.

87 years from initiate to DeathWING (I payed attention this time) may be possible if he did something really, reeeaally big to get noticed. A long and glorious record of exceptional performance (above average even for spacemarines) topped off with some great victory. Ie: killing a greater daemon single handed, saving the life of the chapter master against insane odds or maybe taking the head of a fallen. (of course, he wouldn't know the guy was a fallen of even what the fallen were at the time)
    In the 41st millenium there is no such thing as paranoia, the universe realy is out to get you!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

One possible short cut is have your guy be experienced, great things are expected of him, and he's shown the ability to keep a secret (say, an Inquisitor got too nosy and somehow your man talked him away/shot him but made it look like an accident).

Now, have him somehow learn of the Fallen from an external source; say, he runs into a Fallen on a mission, who explains the past history, but the Fallen then escapes (more dramatic then him being killed or captured). Metatron keeps the knowledge to himself, and after the mission reports to his captain or a chaplain what he's learned, and they decide he's trustworthy enough to be brought into the Deathwing (on parole, of course; they're fully prepared to kill him should he fail).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Thanks for your input everybody.

I've tweaked Metatron's service record a little bit.
    • His first engagement as a full Battle Brother was during the Fourth Quadrant Rebellion. One of four marines in his squad to survive a brutal assault on the Fortress of Kaligar. 775-780.M41
    • He was injured saving his squad sergeant during a battle with the Kabal of the Phantom Moon. 807.M41
    • Led a Kill-Team on a mission aboard the Space Hulk Dark Star. 824.M41
    • Battled the ork warboss GutzDakka on the hive world of Nominex-IV. 846.M41
    • Served in a Deathwatch unit on the Eastern Fringe. 902-915.M41
    • As a Brother-Sergeant, fought against a renegade chapter dedicated to the worship of Khorne alongside units of three other Chapters [Blood Ravens, Space Wolves, and Black Templars]. 929.M41
    • Seconded again into the Deathwatch against the predations of the Eldar Ulthwe Craftworld. 926-939.M41
    • Earned an Iron Halo for the assault of Cavernhive, a subterranean hive city, with an 11% casualty rate. 948.M41
    • Inducted into the Deathwing following the Scouring of Tarsis. 984.M41
    • Fought alongside an Angels of Absolution strike force on the blighted fortress world of Kasr Partox. 999.M41

I look forward to your input! Stay tuned for future threads detailing more Dramatis Personae from the First Legion. Is this a more reasonable career path? Without becoming a Gary Stu type character? I don't want my fluff to be terrible...

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken
    "Loyalty is its own reward."

+ Reply to Thread